Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the factory woudl be better to deal with than the crappy dealer here.

I was very very wrong!!!!

Mr. Peter Carleo at customer service has more arguments as to owner responsibility than anyone I ever heard. I give up completely on going through the factory for resolution of the spoke issue, and will now make my phone calls to the NHTSA.

I do not suggest to anyone that you purchase a new machine from Triumph until they decide to get their act together.

Good luck to you folks!!

Doc

·
Registered
401 Posts
For what it's worth, Peter Carleo gave me the same impression when it came to my oil pump gear failure. He said that because of all the hot-rod mods that had been done to the engine (by the dealership no less) that there was a chance that they wouldn't give any warranty provision for my seized engine, even though the carbs and cams and whatnot would seemingly have no impact on how the oil pumps and gears work. Long story short, Triumph picked up the complete tab for the rebuild of my engine, even though my bike was out of warranty. Don't give up on them just yet! Persistence can go a long ways. Hope everything works out for you!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Yeah, they should just bite the bullet and send out wheels. I'd be more than willing to buy up at least one set of the take offs. Hell, just cut the spokes and give me the hubs.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
This broken spoke thing really seem's to be hit and miss....at any rate it's a serious issue that need's to be addressed.

After purchasing my bonnie I found some forums online and honestly all the talk of broken spokes was freakin me out. I was considering dymags or another solution for a spell.

Since then I have learned that if I simply maintain the wheel's...( check the spokes regularly )...I feel alot more secure.

I wouldnt give up just yet....there's got to be a way to get them to stand behind this.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What's up Doc?,
I find it kinda odd that Triumph would'nt just suck up the repair and write it off as "good will".With the Motorcycle industry being the way it is,British bikes don't need any bad press.If the folks at Triumph were smart,they would be bending over backwards to keep their customers happy.Triumph has once again found itself to be a major player in the bike industry,but it's going to take a lot of work to maintain peoples faith in the brand.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
It is unfortunate that you are having problems and hopefully they will resolve the problem for you. May be we can all pass the word and get more support for you. Do you have an email address for this gentleman? We can email him asking him to address this issue. Good luck Lee

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
It is unfortunate that you are having problems and hopefully they will resolve the problem for you. May be we can all pass the word and get more support for you. Do you have an email address for this gentleman? We can email him asking him to address this issue. Good luck Lee

·
Registered
205 Posts
The wire wheels were my one apprehension about buying my Bonneville.

Now I don't know what to do.

I had hoped that after all these years that the spoke wheel would have improved some. I guess not.

What is really hard to fathom is that Triumph has gone to such lengths to build a premium machine otherwise, and they scrimp on the wheels?

A pity that the Dymags are:

A. Too expensive.

B. Come in all the wrong sizes.

Guess I should have saved some money and bought that SV 650.

:(

·
Registered
687 Posts
As most of you know Triumph management keeps their management contacts like a state secret. A couple of months ago when this spoke issue heated up again, I sent the link from the Delphi forum to the spinmeister at UK Triumph, link

The text of my message was

There is a problem with Bonneville rear wheels
breaking spokes. It seems that Triumph is in denial of
this issue. FYI please check the following thread. Bad
press to be sure but perhaps a future legal matter.
Perhaps you should raise the issue with Mr. Bloor
before somebody is injured or worse.

Of course there was no response. In the event that somebody has an accident due to broken spokes , I hope somebody aware of these threads brings it to their attention so they may use it as they wish.SPINMEISTER

[ This message was edited by: Anchorbend on 2006-10-02 20:54 ]

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Spoked wheels aren't inherently problematical.......they have been fitted to all sorts of motorcycles for a hundred years. THIS batch of wheels is a problem, and it is EASILY fixed.
Take the inititative. Pull your wheel, remove the tire, loosen the spokes and then true your rim. Just do it. If you have been wrasslin' with these idiots for a month or more and losing sleep because you don't trust your wheels, then you need to JUST FIX IT!! You will have both your motorcycle back and a bit of pride in learning a bit of a relatively arcane art. It can only make things better.
Yeah, yeah, I know, it shouldn't be this way.....they should just fly some Brit in a tux and apron to your door to replace your wheel and remind you that "Triumph wheels NEVER break a spoke". But.............ain't a gonna happen.
Anyone who had and LOVED a Triumph in the late 70s, 80s, 90s realized that there wasn't gonna be any help from Meriden. You were on your own. And it isn't rocket science, and you CAN do it. So dive in. You have help on this site and others if you get jammed. At least you aren't sitting paralyzed, waiting for mama to help. Knowlege is power and power isn't free. Go for it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
On 2006-10-02 12:39, Doc_Hollywood wrote:
I thought the factory woudl be better to deal with than the crappy dealer here.

I was very very wrong!!!!

Mr. Peter Carleo at customer service has more arguments as to owner responsibility than anyone I ever heard. I give up completely on going through the factory for resolution of the spoke issue, and will now make my phone calls to the NHTSA.

I do not suggest to anyone that you purchase a new machine from Triumph until they decide to get their act together.

Good luck to you folks!!

Doc
Its all very well for Triumph to talk about the mods but even if you have carried out some mods Triumph better be able to show how any of thoes mods with out doubt caused or contributed to the failure, other wise they are up for a claim.
I agree dont give up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Does no one make a "heavy duty" or "racing" spoke for MC wheels?

I know they are available for the Dunlop type wire wheels used on British sports cars. One of the cars I take care of is a Lotus 11 Le Mans vintage race car, and it has a very beefy set of heavy duty spokes on it's wire wheels. We have never broken one in years of competition.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I don't see any need for heavier spokes....these are about the same.... 6 butted 8 guage.....as HD....and the Davidsons put a lot more torsional and cyclic load on their spokes with no inherent problems. The spoke material or manufacture MAY have a flaw somewhere, but I suspect it's just that the truing process at the factory is the heart of the problem. Easy fix, realatively, especially if you are about to change either the sprocket or tire and are pulling the wheel anyway. Prevention. Always better than cure.

·
Registered
422 Posts
....I suspect it's just that the truing process at the factory is the heart of the problem....

If so, then even a replacement wouldn't guarrantee "no more broken spokes". Seems the best fix after all would be to true the existing wheel/spokes like you suggest, but then I have a Speedy so what do I know? :wink:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mr. Carleo made mention of sending out the wheel to a wheel smith. I AM A ***** WHEELSMITH FOR GAWD SAKE!!!!

I learned to lace and true wheels form a guy who has been doing it since Indian ( the real Indian) was in business waaaaayyyyyyy back when. I have laced and trued more wheels than I care to count! I have never had a spoke break for no apparent reason (mine broke going down the road in a straight line at 60).

The difference is the chinese spokes the factory is using and the stainless units I use and order from Buchannan Spoke and Rim. I have never had a spoke break....many bend, never break.

I am writing off triumph completely. I love my classics, and I love my new one, but with a dealer netwrok and customer service like this I will never buy a new one. EVER.

I am reworking the wheels on my own. I am going to send out a sample of the spokes for metalurgical analysis, and send the results to the NHTSC. We shall see what comes of it then.

Mr. Carleo is a jackass, and I have done no mods on my machine at all (ai removal was done by previous owner). I mentioned the oil pump gear issue as well and he got really quiet.

he said the internet forums are completely unregulated (in other words...the factory can't control what gets posted and made public I assume). I hate it for them, but they just got ranked by me right up there with a YUGO....

I will buy Ducati or Japanese next time......I have had enough horse***** from these guys....all of them.

Doc

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well now that Triumph has been put on notice of the issue with the spokes and potential danger they can cause, it's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured and Triumph faces a serious lawsuit. They should realize that the cost of addressing this problem now would be much less than the amount they'll pay in punitive damages for willfully ignoring a serious safety issue. Better buy now if your in the market, I'll bet a couple of lawsuits would raise the prices of the 08 models! :hammer:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.