Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Streetfighter is the only bike I would exchange my 08 S3 for. If it was cheaper, I would probably sell my bike and get one. I have always had a thing for Ducati's, but the Monster line was dragging behind for the last few years... until this!

It's a work of art, and clearly not in the same league as the S3. Dont get me wrong, I absolutely love my Speed, but IMO, that Ducati represents perfection for my needs right now (other then the price).

I saw it in action in front of me, and it just impressed me even more. Ridiculous torque, indescribable sound, incredible beauty, Ducati quality. If only it didn't start at 18K CDN...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was expecting more flaming but does this mean speed triple is no longer "the streetfighter"? I don't think i could live with it on the basis that it's the kinda bike for people who don't need to carry money. If i could get to me one of these people though?

·
Registered
139 Posts
You have to really like ducs to own one esp if cost is an issue.

The bike is 1/3i Monster, 1/3 some dirt bike and 1/3 1098. It has no individual feel yet. I feel like it is the platypus of the duc world. It is very busy to look at. If it didn't have the all mighty 1098 motor it would go the way of the multistrada.

It really feels like a knock off of the MV Agusta Brutale.

Have Fun!

·
Banned
557 Posts
Forget looks....that's all relevant. One man's ugly duckling is another's work of art.

If you just take into consideration that it is DRIPPING with Ducati quality and style and freaking EXPLODING with performance that leaves the S3 in the dust....then I'd buy one in 1/2 a heart beat. I LOVE DUCs! period. This is one bad ass machine. PERIOD.

I have never loved a motorcycle more than the Speed Triple, and I've had 2 so far....11 bikes in all from all genre.

But the Duc Streetfighter is just f-ing insane. Incredible. I saw one and heard one in person and just the sound of it mad emy sack wrinkle and tighten up. Amazing bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I sat on one of these at the motorcycle show in Chicago. Equipped with the Ducati gel set (probably $600 or so) it was extremely comfortable. I think it is a mean looking bike except for the exhaust. However, I think the S3's stock exhaust looks quite lame as well. Whether you purchase a Ducati, or the Triumph, chances of seeing another on the road are somewhat slim. For the money, I don't think there is a question here, I can say you will not be dissapointed with the Triumph.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
As beautiful as the Ducati is I'd rather sink my pennies into upgrading what I presently own. A new suspension, brakes, a comfy seat, exhaust, and other mods would satisfy my wandering eyes. Unless I fell into big money, then I'd just buy one. :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ok they are both incredible bikes. The Triumph is the best naked, streetfighter out there IMO and here's why.

To me a streetfighter is supposed to be something you ride like a Hooligan through town. It should be fairly inexpensive; if you consider many streetfighters originated from people stripping down a crashed up bike with no regard for its looks. It should have tons of torque and be very flickable. It should not be a track bike.

My problem with the Ducati is that it's very expensive, granted they aren't ripping you off. Full Ohlins Suspension and steering damper, 1098 motor, lightweight rigid Duc chassis and other high dollar goodies. But I don't care for the idea of an expensive streetfighter, it's not right to me. Not to mention the guy in the vid even mentions it doesn't have the low end grunt he wanted from it, it was rev-happy. Frankly, if you wan't all that go fast stuff, save your money and buy a superbike like the new R1. Then again, for the money you can have an S3 and a race replica supersport in your garage. Spring for the Streetfighter S and your talking a new S3 + a new superbike.

If someone wanted to turn the streetfighter thing into half art/half race bike, Ducati nailed it on the head. Due to the high cost and racing go fast characteristics, from a streetfighter standpoint, I think it's a compromise. And due to the lack of fairings for high speed and not going that extra bit to be a superbike in the chassis/engine department, from a superbike standpoint it's a compromise. So I guess it's just in it's own class. I will admit, if I had the spare cash, absolutely burning a hole in my wallet, I'd consider it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice

Ducati has the "look" & if your into V Twins then thats the machine for you
Speed Triple is NOT a V Twin & is smooth throughout the range & you dont have to work it too hard to go like hell !! Over to you Rough or Smooth Hmmmmmm?
My monies on the Triumph

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm with this guy... For $15,000 I think I could make speedy one hell of a kick in the arse...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Whatever makes you happy. That thing is juicy but it costs more than it's worth. Right now my S3 is way better than any Duc because mines paid for.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The amount of rationalizing about "why not to get it" (Streetfighter) proves one thing - you want it. I know that I do. Not right now, not first year model. But next year, when all initial problems are wrung out of it - yes.
And the question about Streetfighter or Speedy - I want both. Can find the use for both of them. Now the money ($20k for "S")... I'll eat less for a year, cancel my cable, air conditioning is for softies, I don't need vacation...

·
Registered
62 Posts
What bike catches your eye?Also, without taking both for a test ride, how can you make a decision? The first time I demo'd an s3, I knew it was the bike for me, regardless of what I read about anything else.

Bikes are like women - personality and character go a long way ;)

ps.
i also think that new duc looks too much like a transformer, doesn't seem to maintain it's integrity the way the speed triple does. It also looks like they were trying to ripoff the Brutale. Just my .02.

-bj. '06 jet black s3

·
Registered
361 Posts
I saw a Ducati Streetfighter at a local dealer the other day, and there is NO WAY that thing would be practical on the street.

That lower radiator is so low to the ground that if you go down a curb youll smash that **** up. Forget speed bumps and potholes.

And those welds, ugh.

want motivation? look up the price to replace the Radiator.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts