Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather was fairly mild on Thanksgiving, so I thought I'd take one more ride this season, and then have my son help me get my bonny up the ramp into my walk-out basement for winter storage. So, I had a good ride - a little chilly, but still nice - and then got my bonny into my heated basement. Friday morning the weather was lousy, so I thought "Perfect, I put it away at just the right time." Then the sun came out and the temperature got up into the mid 40's. I started having second thoughts about putting it away. I think I was driving my wife nuts. Finally she told me to take it back out and go for a ride before I drove her crazy.

So, I did just that. Another chilly ride, but again, very nice. So now my bonny's parked back in the garage, and I'm hoping for another weekend in the 40's. Anyone else in New England try to squeeze in a few rides on the nice days rather than put their bonny in storage for the winter?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Had mine out today, rain wasn't supposed to start till the afternoon. Left at 10:30AM returned at 11:15. Rain and 37 degrees, (not fun). They are calling for high 40's on Tuesday. I am not planning on putting it up for the winter. A chilly ride every other week is better than none.

Mike

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Final Ride

I feel for ya all!!! Its just commin into our perfect ridin season now! Used to live in NJ & remember well puttin the bike up for the winter. Dont have to do that here! I also remember the RARE 70 deg day in Jan. Would always do that one. I dont think were gonna see too many of those this winter? Can always HOPE!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I too keep thinking "this is the weekend she goes away for the winter."

Then take her for another ride. They are getting less frequent these days though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I should have been riding.

I have been kicking myself for spending time Saturday shining my Bonnie up instead of getting her dirty. It was sunny and close to 60 yesterday and I decided to shine her up since she was so dirty (She looks really good now!). Today the high was in the mid 40's and raining and turning to snow tonight. I have not checked the extended forcast to see when the next decent riding day will be so I am wishing I would have ridden yesterday and cleaned today. I will not be putting her up for the winter though. Nashville normally gets enough warm days through the winter that I will be able to ride some. January and February are the iffy months but even then you can get some 60 degree days. I just don't like those July and August days when it is pushing 100 and really humid. I switch to night rides then!

Pops

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wishin' I too could take advantage of those occasional 'warm spells' around here.... but, they don't call Syracuse, NY the "Salt City" for nothin'.

Actually the name came from the production of table salt from brine back in the 1800's, but today it is an all too common practice to salt the life out of our highways. hence the rusty cars, but not my bike.

·
29,948 Posts
Likewise - nearly went out for a ride last thursday / friday, but there is now so much salt and grit on the roads round here that they are just as hazardous for 2 wheelers as if they were covered with snow!

Ah well. Mods proceeding according to plan! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Being in Queensland Australia, we get a 12 month summer....so what the hell is this 'bike storage' term you use :) sounds horrible.

That is just plain NASTY!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just ordered a Synergy heated liner and gloves. Hopeing to grap more than one ride this winter season here in NJ and NY!

Drue

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Road last week and it was supposed to get to 10C here today and was going to ride again but the wind came up and its cold cold today so no ride.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
I feel for ya all!!! Its just commin into our perfect ridin season now! Used to live in NJ & remember well puttin the bike up for the winter. Dont have to do that here! I also remember the RARE 70 deg day in Jan. Would always do that one. I dont think were gonna see too many of those this winter? Can always HOPE!!
Yuk it up, Captdon. How much of this do you have down there in Florida?

Never winterize a bike if there's any hope of the occasional warm afternoon!

·
Registered
659 Posts
HiDesert & Kurt, you are preaching to the choir! I'm ready for every winter warmup -- even if it just means some neighborhood errand running!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Got to agree with HiDesert. Being a Southern Arizona resident there is no winter storage. As a matter of fact it's the best riding weather after the morning chill warm-up. May be 30F in the a.m. then warms to 70F by mid afternoon. The down side here is mid summer when temps hit 115F in the shade. Only satin knows the tempeture when sitting on asphalt at a stop light. I grew up in Northern New England and lived in Oregon for many years and I have to say I sure don't miss putting up the bike for 4-5 months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm up in the Lakes Region of NH and put my Bonnie away for the winter on 11-22 then left for Florida on 11-24. Glad I did because when I got back this week I found the roads covered with sand. Besides, my old bones don't like riding in the cold..can't wait for Spring!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Just gotta have good gear on to get out in the cold . Tourmaster heated stuff is great . I draw the line below freezing only for the ice factor . Crazy , not stupid . But New Years Day all bets are off regardless . Need to have the 1st ride of the year . Personal tradition . A wetsuit is the best cold weather riding gear. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts