Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Loud bikes can be safer. Recently in Hanoi whilst busy arguing with my wife about something stupid and inconsequential I stepped off a curb into a 150 Honda Wave. The rider was all apologetic and I was too mad and proud to show the pain of getting swacked in the thigh by a giant silent piece of plastic. Betcha any money if that was a TR with Meerkats I would've heard it coming.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the noise level is deafening in Saigon. I'd say even a loud bike could catch you by surprise if every one of them is loud.

It is all a matter of relative loudness. A moped in the countryside IS loud.

Meanwhile, everybody is slowly getting crazy with the noise.

(To say nothing about the pollution: the cat converter on my T120 is the first I ever saw)

·
Registered
977 Posts
I don't think the noise helps much for safety, if at all with general car traffic. I can see where it could help with pedestrian traffic as in Steve's example.

A few years ago while a group of us were riding home from a Vincent Rally in California, a riding buddy and good friend was killed. He was on his Vincent Black Shadow which ran an open Goldie megaphone, painfully loud, so much so that I stayed either a half mile back or a half mile in front.
He was on a straight stretch of road with only one other vehicle in sight, a Jeep CJ up ahead moving slowly, same direction as him. He pulled out to pass and at the exact instant he was alongside the driver made a U turn right over top of him. The CJ occupants were a group of guys in their mid 20s, not drunk but out looking for 4x4 roads to try out.
They never heard that Black Shadow which had a hell of a bark, pretty much all of it behind the bike tho.

Glen

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
...to say nothing of how you may or may not hear incoming traffic if you are very loud yourself.

To answer Mackk, most are 4-stroke, some lost their whole pipes years ago, and you do find the occasional loud big bike. Not everyone's friend, though.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Complete bollox anyway. Self justification from people who think they have a right to get on everyone's **** in the mistaken belief they're getting more power or whatever. They may even think they're cool. Riding intelligently is more likely to save you. 0:)
...If you believe that you need loud pipes to be safe, then it's possible that you don't yet know how to ride.
Wow! Talk about people & communications skills! I certainly didn't expect to read that I lacked intelligence and didn't know how to ride...

Anyhow, I was simply saying that a little bit more sound is pleasant to the ear of a young lady in a summer dress :grin2: and can also bring added value to be better heard in traffic. It certainly does not replace riding skills, constant focus or a helmet.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
When I bought my Thruxton, used, it had Predators which are IMO loud, not plesant loud but annoyingly loud. I removed them and modified the stock cans to my liking. So far as best I can tell there has been no loss of life directly attributed to the removal of the obnoxiously loud Predators.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have ruined my hearing with loud pipes over the years. I wear ear plugs these days too.
I will be keeping my Thruxton 1200 exhaust system stock standard.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I certainly didn't expect to read that I lacked intelligence....
You didn't. You read that riding intelligently is likely to be of more use to you, and safer, than thinking a loud pipe somehow confers road safety benefits. It doesn't. Maybe it serves to waken the occasional pedestrian from their own bubble, as has been alluded to unwittingly, but that is ultimately the pedestrian at fault, not the rider. :smile2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok i with you except the snorkel... and ill ask have you tried it WITHOUT the snorkel? Cause it's not like louder or obnoxious it just sounds divine to me... Obviously this topic is very subjective but i DO agree that im happy with the noise levels etc..

·
Registered
576 Posts
Y... than thinking a loud pipe somehow confers road safety benefits. It doesn't. Maybe it serves to waken the occasional pedestrian from their own bubble, as has been alluded to unwittingly, but that is ultimately the pedestrian at fault, not the rider. :smile2:
I for one have witnessed it time and again in everyday traffic situation. I drive to work everyday (50km) and regularily every weekend all year round (no winter here). I see it in their rearview when I drive up between lanes and in their driving behavior: box drivers pay more attention to me since I switched to V&H offroads.
Let's just agree to disagree on that one.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
As my Speedmaster has broken in, I have noticed that the sound from the stock exhaust has gotten better...more burbles and (maybe) louder. I actually like it. The last Triumph I had I went for the TOR's which I liked, but I am not really sure I will do it here since it sounds pretty nice right now.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts