Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Bonnie for a couple years now, and I love it...but I've always wanted a Thunderbird. I've toyed with various ideas...Tiger 800...modify the crap out of my Bonnie...etc, etc...but I always come back to the Thunderbird eventually. It's the bike I've wanted since the minute I saw it, and several test rides have only backed up my feelings.

So today I ran some numbers, and I think I am going to put the Bonnie up for sale. I've been watching for a while now, and there are some good deals on used, low mile Thunderbirds out there. If I sell the Bonnie, I'll be ready to move on something when I find what I am looking for. I almost picked one up last year, and I've been kicking myself ever since for passing it up. Turns out a forum member bought it. Anyway, I don't want that to happen again, so I think the Bonnie will be going up for sale in the coming weeks, so I'll be ready.

That's all...pointless post...thanks for listening...

Andy

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. There aren't a lot of Triumphs for sale around here, so I think my Bonnie may sell without too many issues. Once that is done I don't think I'll have trouble finding a Thunderbird. Biggest issue will be finding one somewhat close, so I'll probably need to start researching shipping companies.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
My buddy sells bikes and his dealership uses these guys to ship:

http://www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/

They use a special pallet for bikes. They only ship business to business, but it can be ANY business address, doesn't have to have a dock or anything. They just don't want to go into a residential neighborhood with the big trucks.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Thiels Wheels in Upper Sandusky has a few 2011's on cycle trader. They are within driving distance. Why not see what they would offer you on a trade. Don't forget in Ohio you save on sales tax when you trade.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thiels Wheels in Upper Sandusky has a few 2011's on cycle trader. They are within driving distance. Why not see what they would offer you on a trade. Don't forget in Ohio you save on sales tax when you trade.
I'll check those out, I ride to Thiels every so often, they are about an hour and a half away from me. Problem is, they will only give me like 4k in trade from what I remember...I had looked into it a bit last year. Looking at NADA and KBB, I think I could get closer to 6k selling it myself. I'll look into it though. Still trying to decide when exactly I want to put mine up for sale...I'd hate for it to sell really quick and then I spend the Summer trying to find a Thunderbird, but that may be what happens just because everybody looks to buy in Spring and sell in Fall.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I'll check those out, I ride to Thiels every so often, they are about an hour and a half away from me. Problem is, they will only give me like 4k in trade from what I remember...I had looked into it a bit last year. Looking at NADA and KBB, I think I could get closer to 6k selling it myself. I'll look into it though. Still trying to decide when exactly I want to put mine up for sale...I'd hate for it to sell really quick and then I spend the Summer trying to find a Thunderbird, but that may be what happens just because everybody looks to buy in Spring and sell in Fall.
+1 I always buy bikes in the fall or January during a blizzard. But, take your bike in and work up a deal and see what they want for the difference. Then do "the walk" and thank them and let them know you can't afford it at those prices. They will call you back with their best deal. I got a better deal at Ohio Motorcycle in Cleveland so shop their Columbus branch as well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+1 I always buy bikes in the fall or January during a blizzard. But, take your bike in and work up a deal and see what they want for the difference. Then do "the walk" and thank them and let them know you can't afford it at those prices. They will call you back with their best deal. I got a better deal at Ohio Motorcycle in Cleveland so shop their Columbus branch as well.
Good advice, and can't hurt. I'll take a ride up there the next free/nice weekend and see what they say. It definitely would be less of a hassle.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I sold my Bonnie today. Still need to meet the guy at the bank to finalize things, but he's really excited about it, so I don't anticipate any issues. Now I can start looking for the used thunderbird. If I don't find one this summer, I'll probably just buy a new one and be done with it.

Sad to see the Bonnie go, but excited to start looking for the bike I've always wanted.

Andy

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Bonnie officially sold on Saturday, it's gone. So now the search is on for a Thunderbird. Hoping to find a used one, or possibly a leftover at a dealer. If not, then I'll get something new this Fall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts