Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 01 T-bird out for a neighborhood jaunt this morning to try out the new bar end mirrors. The mirrors work fine, but half way through the ride my tach, hi-beam, horn, and dash panel lights quit working. I think it's probably a blown fuse but I haven't had time to pull the seat off to check to see which one and I have to go out of state later today. From what I'm describing, what do you guys think? Easy fix or something major?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Replaced mirrors w/ Triumph OEM Bar ends, now #1 fuse keeps blowing

***? I replaced a set of Napoleon screw-in mirrors with a set of Triumph OEM bar ends (part #A9638029, the ones that clamp onto the bar end weights) and now the #1 10 amp fuse keeps blowing. I've replaced it twice now. Each time it blows I lose my tach, hi-beam, dash panel lights and horn. I've ridden the bike without electrical issues from the time of purchase until this week when I switched the mirrors. Any thoughts?

Edit: As an afterthought, is it possible that I am causing a short by touching the mirrors which are now located on the bar ends while touching something else on the bike? would insulating the mirrors from the bar end weights with electrical tape solve this issue?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thinking that hi-beam switch may be the culprit.

I changed the fuse again and started playing around with things. About 1 second after I turned the hi-beam on, the fuse blew. I replaced the fuse, flipped the switch over to hi-beam and it blew again. So, now that I have it narrowed down to the headlight, switch, or wires in between, what's the next step? I admit I'm not much of a mechanic, but I'm assuming it's not a difficult process to diagnose and repair. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, I'd really like to meet the guy who designed the late model T-bird seat attachment system....way to go A-hole!

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Seems too much to be a co-incidence to be anything else, as you say it appears a wire is shorting out either in the switch or in the wiring. You may have pulled the wire at the switch housing assembly end accidentally when you installed the mirrors. Dismantle the housing and check the switch first and then follow the wiring route to see if it's not pinched or cut in anyway.

Careful how you dismantle the housing and put everything back in exactly the same place.

If that's not the problem check further and check inside the headlight the wires/connections and the headlight bulb itself.

-------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem fixed for now...

Well, I think I have the problem fixed. I took it in to a local repair shop and had the guy take the switch apart. He found a bare wire and taped it but the fuse kept blowing. Next, he dismantled the headlight assembly and unplugged a whole bunch of stuff but said he couldn't tell where the short was. He reassembled everything and now everything works like before I started having the problem. He charged me $25 bucks for his troubles and I've ridden it back home without further problems so far.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Looks wherever the short was touching, is no longer touching. It may come back next time you work around the same area, the harness around the headlight for instance. I don't like faults that 'just go away by themselves'. Keep your fingers crossed.

Main thing is your up and running, thanks for the update.

---------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. I agree, I'm no fan of electrical/mechanical problems that I can't clearly identify the source of either. That's why I took it in to the shop instead of tackling it myself. In all actuality, I probably could have done the same thing the repair shop guy did but it was worth the time and money to have someone who know more than I do about these things to do it. I will be keeping an eye on it and hoping that it somehow manages to "stays fixed."

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had the exact same symptoms - though mine had a bit of lead-up: it happened a few days after I switched from the stock headlamp to a range-rover bit, which was a bit higher wattage. The day I had the fault occur was the first day I used my pass-switch since the change - I flicked the hi-beams on twice, and foom, no head-light at all, lo or hi, no tach, no turn-signal indicators or other indicators (though turn signals still worked); the little 'primer' light in the headlamp still worked, providing the dimmest of blue glows on the pavement (of course, this was around midnight, go figure).

Same fuse was blown. Took apart the headlamp shell & switch-pod next day, couldn't find any issue. Pass-switch works as advertised since the fuse replacement, but I avoid using it now... I vaguely suspect that the higher wattage was the culprit, and somehow, on that night, it was sucking just a hair more than normal, so the fuse went? But I am, of course, unsure.

I'm installing a small voltmeter this weekend, which (probably won't) may tell me something, we'll see. I considered an ammeter, but have read some dire warnings there, so probably won't go that route.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts