Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yep, like the title says, I'm smelling something akin to that at idle and even ducking under my touring windscreen. I put in new plugs about 12k miles ago, recently had the valves adjusted, and new air filter. My fuel economy has been fluctuating from 41mpg to 38ish. I thought that had been from my running more in the 6k rpm range. Also the engine stays high in the revs when I pull in the clutch to shift or blip the throttle in neutral. I had originally suspected a coolant leak but my levels look good in the reservoir tank and I'm not seeing my stains on the hoses.

My wrench friend suggested one of the sensors could be wearing down and I wanted to pick your brains for where to start looking. Is this something that calls for tuneEcu? I'll take her for a short ride and sniff the exhaust at idle as I haven't found the source of the egg Nog smell yet.

(Updated to correct typos)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
What year is your bike? I don't recall.

The high revs may be a sticking IACV or IAC hose issue - you may have a leak. Or the throttle body linkage is not returning to the idle stop. Or, the throttle cable is too tight.

The sweet smell is almost certainly coolant leaking from somewhere.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2001 st955 51k on the clock.

The throttle cable snaps back before the revs return. I'll check that though.

Is thinking I need to remap the ECU incorrect?

I found a belly pan bolt had come off recently so I'll be pulling the panels and check the houses for leaks. She is probably overdue for a coolant system flush now that I think about it.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Yeah Pushrod is right. The only possible sweet smell is the coolant. So it's either a leak or coolant going into the combustion chamber.
But you may also have a bad or dirty radiator cap that triggers coolant tank overflow when hot. Or even a bad coolant hose including the one from the radiator from the overflow tank + plus plastic helbow.
A steady speed at 50~60 mph should give around 52mpg. But for a sportive riding that seems normal. 38 seems high though.
Regarding the idle as Pushrod stated it usually comes from an air leak. So IACV to throttle body hose, TPS sealor any other bad seal. Usually the former though. But it may also be due to IACV not moving freely. So may want to clean it. A throttle balancing shouldn't hurt as well. Once done you may adjust the CO (gas analyzer required) and play a little w/ the IACV position using TuneECU and see how the return to idle reacts.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bleah, ok time for the coolant flush and double checking the cap and hoses. i've got the silicon ones. i thought they lasted longer than standard, no?

·
Registered
207 Posts
bleah, ok time for the coolant flush and double checking the cap and hoses. i've got the silicon ones. i thought they lasted longer than standard, no?
If you've recently replaced hoses I'd start there. Doesn't take much of a dribble to make a strong smell depending on where it is and where it drips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts