Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Over the years there have been two instances where I almost said goodbye to my 1995 Speed Triple for something more modern. In both instances, something happened and I didn't do it. After much research, a couple of test rides, and a great deal of soul-searching, I decided it was time to move on. This time I actually went through with it. I said goodbye late Friday.

I’m still not entirely sure why I didn’t keep the 95 and just add the new bike. I think it’s because I didn’t want her to become a “second” bike, seeing very little ride time. Plus, my memories of her will now always be of her as my main bike, my go-to. My trusted companion.

About a week after I made the decision, the dealer had the new bike uncrated, prepped, and ready for pick up. I rode to work on Friday and went to the dealer after work. They would be closed by the time I got there, but the salesman (who I've known for many years) and the woman handling all the paperwork (title transfer, plates, etc) were staying for me.

It was an uneventful last ride on the 95, which was just fine because it gave me plenty of time to reflect on all that she had been for the past 11 years. I purchased her very gently used from a close friend of mine. When I got her, I'd already been a street bike rider for over 20 years. However, I became the rider I am today on her - and because of her.

I learned track riding on her, I discovered the Texas hill country on her, and my circle of fellow riders changed - all because of her. She was also my sole companion on every other type of ride imaginable – years of weekly bike nights, rallies, long distance rides, day rides, & daily commuting - and in every weather condition imaginable, year-round.

When I got to the dealer after work it was a very strange feeling turning off the engine, putting the stand down, and walking away. I knew it would be the last time ever. It was made even more surreal by the fact that the dealer was closed. There was no activity, no people, and no noise other than the sound of cars occasionally passing by. It seemed fitting that the switch happened privately & late in the day. I didn't spend any time outside for a last look and I didn't look at her as I rode away. In fact, I intentionally went around the block behind the dealer so I wouldn't have to.

I had to work this weekend, so I was only able to put 120 miles on the new Triple. We're just getting acquainted - but I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

Anyway, I won’t be spending much time on this side of the board anymore, but I wanted say thanks for the help and information over the years. The 95 will be sorely missed. She was awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I hope your new ride becomes more than you had hoped for.....

Looking at the two of them like that...they are sooooo different the early one is all clean lines and made as one..the later one is all jaggy lines and bits & pieces.....

Both work though ;-)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
You're gonna miss that 885. (But you're gonna love the 1050! :D )

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
196 Posts
If your 95 had been black you would have kept it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have no idea how you managed to let it go. I have a 96 and and 08. If I had to choose, the 96 would defintely stay...........

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I have no idea how you managed to let it go. I have a 96 and and 08. If I had to choose, the 96 would defintely stay...........
I had the same issue once. I had to make a pact with the dealer that my old Triumph could sit on his floor "on consignment" until enough time and "story" had passed (hon, it wouldn't sell) so that I could bring it back home and reluctantly keep both.

;)

Nutless, I know, but... I ain't got no man card either, my wife took it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
i know the feeling well - i still look fondly at the pics of my '94 daytona/speed triple.

in fact it was stonetriples pics of his bike which finally prompted me to convert the d900 into a speed trip.

at least the relationship ended on good terms! it's always sad to part ways with a bike through a crash/engine death or the fact you can't get on with it.

heres to hoping the new bike has an equally long life with you.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
at least the relationship ended on good terms! it's always sad to part ways with a bike through a crash/engine death or the fact you can't get on with it.
That's the main reason I didn't keep her. I wanted all my time with her to be perfect. We parted ways when she was at the top of her game. It was 11 strong years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts