Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flashback to approximately 2 months ago. I ordered the Bellacorse FEK with the LED light, mounted it, plugged it in to the Newbonneville wiring harness....and no go. Couldn't get the running light to come on while the tail light worked, and vice versa. Spent days in the cold winter air of OH on the phone with the guy who builds the wiring harnesses from Newbonneville around thanksgiving to try to figure it out, and even he couldn't help. (Thanks again Tod)

Eventually brought out a voltometer borrowed from my brother to see if there was power coming to all the wires through the bikes harness. But, before I could get accurate readings, it came to be X-mas and therefore didn't get to do much more searching and had to put it on hold.

Fast forward to this past weekend. Rare 60 degree weekend here in OH, and an even more rare opportunity to continue to search for the long lost gremlin that had been preventing this tail light, installed two months ago, from not working. SO...I go to start her up just to get warmed up before I do the work, and she won't go. On the contrary, she barely turns over and then proceeds to die, followed by a very alarming and audible rapid clicking sound.

I quickly run to TRIUMPHRAT.NET for answers as I almost always do. After a short amount of 'searching' for clicking, I ascertain that it must be my battery has been losing it's charge due to the cold weather and not running her properly for over two months. Before you ask, NO, I don't have a batter tender. So, I bring out the voltometer to check the battery - 10.76 v at resting. Obviously not enough. So, after some more research (thanks battery tender thread), I run out and buy a battery tender junior, take the battery out, plug it in, and charge it over night.

At this point I've completely disregarded my concern with the taillight as I felt I needed to get her running before I could continue.

Present day - Battery all charged, I take her to my bike, strap her in, turn her on, hit the start button (takes more than a few tries for her to turn over without stalling....not unexpected), and once she's idling, I decide to let her just go for a while. I take a step back to take a deep breath and then focus on the problem with the taillight....

.....and notice quite discernibly the running light working perfectly. At first I think it's a trick my eyes are playing on me. I run over to the front brake, pull it, and the brake light comes on, let the brake off, once again revealing the running light. I couldn't believe it. I checked the wiring...everything was fine. I let her run a little longer, frequently checking the foot and hand brakes to be sure I wasn't dreaming.....or drunk.....(I wasn't)........

...and a light shone down, and as if by some divine revelation bestowed upon my by the heavens, I realized what an idiot I was. LED lights undoubtedly draw more power than regular bulbs, and my battery had diminished jsut enough that it couldn't power both at the same time. (This is an assumption that is only made based off of this "evidence.") If only I would have checked the F*n battery beforehand.

So, after reading this you might consider me an idiot, and you're exactly right. But, I learned a valuable lesson today, one that won't soon be forgotten.

If it doesn't work, there's a reason. And most likely, it's the simplest solution that will rectify it. And more importantly, just when you think you have a grip on it, let go of that illusion, and go back to basics.

Thanks to everyone who helped out and gave me advice on this. I apologize for not covering the basics first, and promise not to make this mistake again (but for some reason can see it happening anyway!)

Carl

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I'm glad for you, but LED lights do not draw more power than regular lights, unless you're operating them with current-dropping resistors that might suck more power than light bulbs. In any case, there should be enough capacity in the electrical system to operate a couple of additional lights, even if they're incandescent bulbs.

The real question is why your battery discharged itself to 11- volts in a couple months.

Again, it's good that the problem resolved, hope it stays that way.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
I believe Balto is correct; LEDs draw less power, AFAIK. I replaced the stock brake light bulbs in my Daytona with LED lamps, with no ill effects.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I believe Balto is correct; LEDs draw less power, AFAIK. I replaced the stock brake light bulbs in my Daytona with LED lamps, with no ill effects.
Woo-hoo, this might be the second time!!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
i have also done a dumb thing,

when fitting my alarm and immobilizer to my speedmaster i had finished fitting it, reassembled the bike after having to remove most of the top-end inc the tank, i stood back, turned the key and nothing, could not start the bike at all, spent hours taking everything off the bike again and double checking i had fitted it correctly, after that i resorted to calling triumph factory for some help,

after five minutes on the phone, one of the tech guys uttered the words "you have checked the position of the kill switch"

at that point i died. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Balto/HiDesert - I am sure you are correct about LED's not requiring as much power. That was just my ASSUMPTION. I, however, am not knowledgeable in the least regarding this subject. Regardless, the stupid thing worked after recharging the battery, and as Uncle Eddie said in National Lampoon's X-mas Vacation...."eh, I don't know..."

Balto, the battery had probably discharged over the course of 6 months or more. Surprising, yes, but unfortunately the weather had been pretty sh*tty here for some time, and work/needy (read: attention-seeking) girlfriend had taken up most of my time, so she (my BB, not my girlfriend) didn't get the proper rides she deserved. Needless to say I'm keeping an eye on it to be sure.

Good news, got to take her out for a nice ride ( 45 degrees and sunny) and everything worked fantastically.

...anxiously awaiting spring -

Thanks as always for the input

Hundle - I can't tell you how many times I've done this as well.....now I'm almost paranoid and have made it the FIRST thing I do on my pre-ride check

1 - 9 of 9 Posts