Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday in San Mateo, Ducati showed their 1098 Steetfighter.

I must say that it is the best looking naked bike that I have ever seen. There were carbon bits galore with a full Ohlins suspension. The lines looked much better than the photos show. The ergos were perfect. No one was able to sit on it but I was able to con my way on it near the end of the day. I did not get to ride it unfortunately. LOL.
The only problem-- it's 19k. Any rich naked riders here? You''re gonna have to get it.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Why don't we pool our resources and if we can raise more than the cost of a cup of coffee, we'll buy a Streetfighter.

I, in my magnanimity, will keep it centrally located at my house so as to guarantee fairness for all investors. Riding order will be selected by a random drawing (My numbers, my hat) and allocated subsequently.

"Ponzi" :D

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'll reserve judgement until I see one in person, but it looks EXTREMELY busy. Price aside, it will likely be the top performing naked bike on the market. I wonder what Triumph has up it's sleeve fo an update of the Speed Triple?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The only problem-- it's 19k. Any rich naked riders here? You''re gonna have to get it.
$19K is for the S version, right? I wonder how much the base model will be without the Ohlins. The might put it within range... but I think the Speed Triple will still be the biggest bang for the buck.

Any chance you snapped a few photos?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah, sounds like the S model. It would also have had the wonderful magnesium wheels, which the base model does not.

In any case, I *want* to love the Ducati. I feel as if I NEED to love it. I just can't quite get over some of the asthetics... The headlights, the bulkyness compared to the Speedy... maybe I'm taking too much from photos, I dunno.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes...it was the "S" model. There was no regular model there.

No...it most definitely was not bulky at all. It was lean and mean. Our triples look bulkier. As fas a "busy-ness" it looks great. I think they may have changed some of the plastic parts a bit so it looks really lean. You'll see. Ducati was very proud of that one and it drew the most crowd at the show. Sorry I did take photos. I barely had time to see everything there. I think it will be the perfect streetfighter if you can get past paying 20k otd for it. Gotta pay if you want to play I suppose.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see what you mean by looking this photo by MCN. At the show, it did not look anywhere near this bulky. I can't remember if something has been changed on the bike or if this photo was shot from an angle that made it look bigger. It appeared like it was balanced well at the show.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In any case, I *want* to love the Ducati. I feel as if I NEED to love it. I just can't quite get over some of the asthetics... The headlights, the bulkyness compared to the Speedy... maybe I'm taking too much from photos, I dunno.
I like the idea of it (stripped-down superbike) more than the Monster, but the press photos I've seen make it look fat around the mid-section. And I've never dug on naked bikes with headlights sunk back into the forks like that. The bug-eye headlights was one of the things that drew me to the Triple more than the Monster.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Have to wait to see one in person but from the pics I don't care for it, always thought the Monster was a great looking bike.

I think the even more hideous B-King has it beat performance wise.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
I see what you mean by looking this photo by MCN. At the show, it did not look anywhere near this bulky. I can't remember if something has been changed on the bike or if this photo was shot from an angle that made it look bigger. It appeared like it was balanced well at the show.

After looking at this giant pic of the beast I'd say that in some aspects it looks like it was put together by kids. Look at the welds, they look like crap. And the mirrors are right out of a looney toons cartoon. Just my non-critical opinion. I'll not lust after this freak:eek:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Big time.
The first thing I noticed in that pic were the crappy welds. 19k? id never.
The bike looks too busy to me for some reason....prob just cause its still new. This may go away with some getting used to.

I want the bike because of the engine. I'd have to change the headlight n ****, but why spend 19k on a bike youll need to mod?

Imagine what 19k could do to a speed triple. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ill sit with it on my desktop for a few days and see how we get along, but the sky high UK price tag will probable put many would be buyers off :(

£10,800 or $15,500 orders being taken now at UK Duke dealers

·
Registered
369 Posts
That MIG welding on the frame really sticks out in that picture. It looks crappy although the bike looks nice overall. I would have thought they would have TIG welded it since thay are asking so much for the bike.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts