Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I purchased my first Bonneville last night, it's a 1971 650 with twin carbs, gold and black paint with 3500 miles showing on the odometer. Given the documented maintenance the previous owner performed over the last three years he's owned the bike I doubt seriously a bike with just 3500 miles would require that kind of attention. Though probably not the actual milage the bike runs well, has original paint, appears to be numbers matching and appears to be all there.

I just wanted to say hello to the group and to introduce myself.

Bob Sparkman

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! This must be the board of choice for Triumph Bonneville owners. I just discovered the previous owner's posts about the bike just purchased from him last night. I'd have to say 10drum is a "staight up guy" everything he revealed to me last night while inspecting the bike is identical to the experiences related to the group in all his threads; I feel very good about having purchased the bike from him.

Thanks again,

Bob

·
Super Moderator
12,455 Posts
Yep, not a lot of riff-raff around here, to be sure.

That '71 is a classic at first sight, MANY people recognize the Gold & Black paint scheme. A few people have griped about the '71 bikes being too tall, but the majority prefer it; apparently the ones griping have a short inseam...

Anyway, welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G Paul, I'm one of those guys! But now my growing waist size is now equal to my shrinking inseam :) Once the bike is rolling and feet on the pegs they're all the same height anyway. While in Vandalia, IL last night I bought the Bonneville from one guy then drove across town and bought a 1979 CBX 1000 with 7500 miles on it from another guy. I was on my tiptoes while sitting on that one too. Very tall and very wide with the 6 cylinder engine.

I build choppers as a hobby www.stlouischopperworks.com all with low seat heights but have always had an affinity for British bikes with out ever owning one; this my first but I've a feeling it won't be my last!

Take care,

Bob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome. I have a soft spot for the 71 Bonnies. I bought one brand new, the only new bike I've ever owned. I loved it. College and other circumstances forced me to sell it after about 4 years. Should've dropped out of school instead.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Hello to all,

I purchased my first Bonneville last night, it's a 1971 650 with twin carbs, gold and black paint
Bob Sparkman
Bob, that was my first Bonneville too, but I bought mine in 1971.
Actually was my first bike. I loved that color combination.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Yep, not a lot of riff-raff around here, to be sure.

That '71 is a classic at first sight, MANY people recognize the Gold & Black paint scheme. A few people have griped about the '71 bikes being too tall, but the majority prefer it; apparently the ones griping have a short inseam...
I had one when I was a youngster and I wasn't short of inseam then, but I am now.
I'm thinking that might be a frame of mind more than a physical attribute because I never noticed it then.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Congratulations on yr purchase. Enjoy it !!
I had a 1973 Bonneville 750 T140V for 5 happy years.Sold in 2007 to fund a 2001 Sprint ST, sorry . It took me about 3 years to get it fully sorted due to bad rebuild by the previous owner who had suposedly restored it. It handled very well & drew attention where ever I went with it. I even did a 150 mile , high speed run on it with the local RAT group. What a hoot ! If you change the oil regularly (about every 3000 at most) it will go on for many miles. Mine did 7000 miles with no attention to the motor & ran very well. Ticked over like a clock too. Modifications included, an external, car type, spin on oil filter, Boyer electronic ignition, & heat isolating spacers on the carbureter flanges, It also had the extra paper element oil filter on the feed in the bottom of the "top hat" oil bearing frame tube. I fitted Avon Roadrunner tyres to make sure it stayed on the road.
I would like to see pics of yours posted on this web site too.
I would be happy to reply to any questions you may have re my mods and any other queries you may have.
Regards & ride safe.
Chris

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
The manuals say to change the oil every 1500 miles; don't go 3000!
In retrospect, I think 1500 miles is too long if you want it to be a long term ownership; had mine 32 years now.
There is just a strainer, no filter, on the oem bikes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The manuals say to change the oil every 1500 miles; don't go 3000!
In retrospect, I think 1500 miles is too long if you want it to be a long term ownership; had mine 32 years now.
There is just a strainer, no filter, on the oem bikes.

If you don't mind me asking, how many miles does it have? I agree with you about changing the oil early especially if there's not an oil cooler, or filter...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Perhaps I ought to have clarified that the 3000 mile oil change interval IS ONLY if you have external filter on the return & paper filter mod on the feed. Depends really how much you want to ride it.
In the summer I would have been changeing the oil much too often at 1500.
Chris

·
Registered
67 Posts
bspark nice site you have there,some very nice bikes and cars also good luck with the triumph....clearly you have mechanical knowledge which is good cos youll need it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts