Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inside of the rotors are different colors on ABS / Non-ABS models...

Never noticed until my recent purchase of my ABS model.

Check it out, on the left is my current bike and on the right my old non abs...

Wonder if its a different part number or metal composition?

--Kory

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Hmm...I never really noticed it either! My '08 ABS has silver innards as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Double Hmmmmmm, My 2006 ABS has gold innards, and the bike is silver!

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Tremendous difference in braking effectiveness! The pad thermal efficiency is affected by the variations in anodization hue.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't think it has to do with ABS vs non-ABS. I believe starting in 2007 they went to the silver colored carriers. Glad I have the 06 as I like the contrast of the gold carriers on mine! :D

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I don't think it has to do with ABS vs non-ABS. I believe starting in 2007 they went to the silver colored carriers.
No, that's not true. I was looking at some pics of '08 non-ABS models and they have the gold carriers, whereas my ABS equipped model has silver.
There's gotta be some strange reason they use the two different types! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tremendous difference in braking effectiveness! The pad thermal efficiency is affected by the variations in anodization hue.
I'm very much a "Newbie" here but one thing it takes no time to learn is you can always depend on SOME for SA remarks.
Thanks, it makes a TREMENDOUS DIFFERENCE in otherwise enjoyable conversation.:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Glad to help, Lonzol. :rolleyes:

Also glad to learn that you have no problem going personal when confronted with a posting you do not care for.

My suggestion is for you to immediately stop reading any posts from me, lest your judgmental head explodes. :D

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
More than likely it sounds just when a car mafg uses different branded tires on the same model of car...(the suppliers bid type of thing) and even though the rotor may be made by the same company it just might be the luck of the draw which color you get. Mine are gold on a 06 non abs bike. Also could it help denote which bike gets abs coming down the line on which rotor color is which?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I want one gold one and one silver; silver on the right side of course. I believe this will give the best over all braking performance.:D

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
There ya go again. Another SA remark with a TREMENDOUS DIFFERENCE in an otherwise enjoyable conversation. What is wrong with you guys?

If you really wanted to be constructive, and unbiased, you would have noted the silver vs gold orientation as dependent on which side of the equator/pond ye be resident, and not have displayed your blatant preference. :D

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
The difference in color is usually a supplier issue. The main supplier probably had gold anodized centers and when they ran short or couldnt keep up with demand Triumph sourced them from a different supplier.

In the supply chain world 92% fill rate is a target and lots of companies can maintain that but fill rate can drop right off depending on an number of variables. Even at best Triumph has to get 8% from another supplier.

Oh and different metal compasition? Better braking? Ummm its only color. Its not like real gold vs. real silver.......

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Just to throw in my two cents.

I have an 06 ABS that is Capian Blue and it has gold innards.

On another note my Grayish/silverish Ford F150 that was built in 1993 was equipped with black side body molding on one side and gray side body molding on the other side. Didn't notice it until about 2003(yes ten years) when I was trying to remove some tar from the gray side and went around to check for tar on the other side. For some reason the tar on the other sides side molding didn't show up as bad. Still took me about another 3 minutes to figure it out.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Good timing here gents as my curiosity is aroused to the point that I'm leaving my office to drive home, take the cover off the ST, check the color of my rotors....what? it's sunny out? Fifty degrees? Guess I'll have to take a tonk, then...

Thanks

denoose

·
Registered
764 Posts
OND I think you may be on to something there!;)

I hope they bring the brake rotor innards out in a black anodised colour. This will improve the solar energy absorption, increase the width of the rotors, decrease the amount of float in the rotors, finally decreasing the amount of travel the caliper pistons needed to stop the bike.:)

The potential of this concept is amazing, it may cure all of the problems with the existing calipers and hopefully we won't ever see another thread about 6 pot calipers or teflon coated 675 pistons again.:D

You are a genius probably without realising it, can't believe those harsh words about you being a SA.:mad:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
ralphus, I can't believe that you spilled the beans about the black disc centers! Keep on doing this and we will have to revoke your "Lorder and Hoarder of Knowlege" membership. :p:D

So much for an otherwise enjoyable conversation. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't think it has to do with ABS vs non-ABS. I believe starting in 2007 they went to the silver colored carriers. Glad I have the 06 as I like the contrast of the gold carriers on mine! :D

Bingo - Ditto - what Kevy said -

1 - 20 of 25 Posts