Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I need help. I've been working on this with a great deal of help from our local ratpack, but we've hit a dead end and cannot come up with a cost effective solution.

I'm in the process of replacing rings on all four pistons on my 04 Daytona 600 as I have a blowby problem on cylinder 4. I've pulled the head without any major hiccups but I am at the part now where I need to remove the cylinder liners. I don't have the triumph cylinder liner removal tool and do not intend to spend $250 to get one. I don't want to drop the engine and crack the case as that will put me way deeper into this than I'm comfortable. Here are pictures of what has been attempted thus far.

Using this expansion plug to stick in the cylinder:

This is the plug inside the cylinder:

The next to pictures show the rig that I'm using to pull the liner up. The cross bar is bending in this photo, but I've resolved that issue with a stronger cross bar.

After correcting the issue with the bending crossbar, I thought we had a solution, but then I found that instead of pulling the cylinder liner out, I was only pulling the plug out of the cylinder liner. I saw on another forum a suggestion that you could put gorilla tape on the inside of the liner then turn the crank and the piston would catch on the tape and push the liner up. This was not effective. I also tried lining the cylinder with gorilla tape to give extra grip to the expansion plug but that also did not work. Anyone have any ideas that may work on this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try heat

I know nothing about this but if you can heat the block it should expand and make it easier to remove?????

Ok guys, I need help. I've been working on this with a great deal of help from our local ratpack, but we've hit a dead end and cannot come up with a cost effective solution.

I'm in the process of replacing rings on all four pistons on my 04 Daytona 600 as I have a blowby problem on cylinder 4. I've pulled the head without any major hiccups but I am at the part now where I need to remove the cylinder liners. I don't have the triumph cylinder liner removal tool and do not intend to spend $250 to get one. I don't want to drop the engine and crack the case as that will put me way deeper into this than I'm comfortable. Here are pictures of what has been attempted thus far.

Using this expansion plug to stick in the cylinder:

This is the plug inside the cylinder:

The next to pictures show the rig that I'm using to pull the liner up. The cross bar is bending in this photo, but I've resolved that issue with a stronger cross bar.

After correcting the issue with the bending crossbar, I thought we had a solution, but then I found that instead of pulling the cylinder liner out, I was only pulling the plug out of the cylinder liner. I saw on another forum a suggestion that you could put gorilla tape on the inside of the liner then turn the crank and the piston would catch on the tape and push the liner up. This was not effective. I also tried lining the cylinder with gorilla tape to give extra grip to the expansion plug but that also did not work. Anyone have any ideas that may work on this?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
First off the cylinders are glued in w/rtv silicone. And heat won't work, trust me on this one.

Instead of the expansion plug (uesd 'em on dirtbike) I got some aluminum plate 1/8" thick and cut two pieces a little longer than the width of the liner, something like 5 inches long x 2 inches wide. You'll also need some all-thread. Its a long bolt w/ no head if you don't know. And some nuts threaded onto the all-thread.

Now drill a hole in the center of the aluninum, bolt a piece of all-thread (6" long) to the aluminum and wiggle it up from under the engine (all-thread facing up). use the 2nd pc. on top of a couple bolts, like you tried w/ the plug. Place the all-thread thru the hole in the 2nd pc., start a nut on top ofthat and slowly tighten. It will pull the liner up from the bottom edge, with no drama. then do the other liners.

If you need pics to clarify my instuctions just let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This wouldn't work because there is no way to get anything to the bottome edge of the cylinder liners due to the pistons being there. I've managed to get my hands on the actual triumph tool but the thing keeps slipping out of the cylinder bore before it breaks the seal of the RTV silicone. Is there anyway to loosen the grip of the RTV silicone?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts