Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fitting a Bonneville America wiring harness to a Thruxton chassis, and almost everything is wired up, just need to run the taillight, turn signals and keyswitch. A few things aren't fitting well, and I want to disconnect them:

1) the carb warmers
2) the sidestand switch
3) the clutch cutout switch

Can I disable these parts by clipping the wires or do I need to fashion a "jumper" to connect the right wires together?

The gauge cluster also needs work. Some of the wires are running to the wrong spot in the clip between the America and the Thruxton, and there's no tach wire since the America didn't come with one. Which wire can I use for the tach?

Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
You can disconnect the carb warmers, and in fact remove them from your carbs, with no worries. It cleans up the area beneath the carbs and makes idle mixture adjustment much easier.

You will need a jumper for the sidestand switch, or simply clip the wires and soder them together.

I don't know about clutch cutout but I'm sure it will be easy since it's a simple on/off switch.

What happened to your Thruxton harness????

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jimbonnie,

I'm putting an America motor and wiring harness in a Thruxton frame (see my link below).

So far so good! I had to reroute and extend a few wires, but it's coming together nicely. I need an oil cooler, a few brackets and a few hours to finish the wiring, and it's ready for a test firing.

Project Thruxtamerica

·
Registered
393 Posts
Very nice project JEB! There are few things more fun (in the motorcycling world) than resurrecting a bike that most folks think is a gonner. It's going to have a nice, and different, lope than all the other Thruxtons out there. Best of luck and please post more photos.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jim, I'm hoping it sounds nice and thumpy with the 270 pulses instead of the 360. I'll get some more pictures posted this week.

Normandy, this is an 02 model, and I didn't see the tach wire in my instrument clip. I'll take another look tonight.

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
I installed the Bonnie tacho kit, and there are two options for connecting it. One involves running a wire (included in the kit) according to the instructions (early bikes), the other involves simply plugging in the tach (later bikes, including mine).

I have the full instruction set in a zip file which I can send you, and can mail you the wire if I can find it--should still be in my Bonnie parts and pieces box. Send me a PM with your info if you want either, or both.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More pictures have been added to my original post at the link below. Normandy, I checked the ignitor and found that there's no tach wire attached.

No problem, I'll just run an external wire from the ignitor to the headlight shell. Thanks, Baltobonnie! I sent you a PM.

Jimbonnie, I agree, nothing like saving a "goner". I feel good bringing this one back to life. Here's a shot of the wrecked bike, and here's the progress so far:

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
JEB, tacho wire and instructions were mailed to you today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts