Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, So I'm looking to purchase an 08 Thrux and need some advice on following options:

1. 2008 with around 500 miles with 1.5 years remaining warranty for $7000. I would have to spend another $350 on shipping and probably another $500-700 on T/L/R.

has the following mods:
Full Arrow Titanium 2 into 1 exhaust with proper tune
Airbox removal
Mud guard
Rear Ohlins
Fender eliminator (LED with Smaller LED Turns)
Headlight (Not sure what he exactly did)
Barends

2. Go buy a new one from the dealer at $______. I would take the current promotion of $750 in Accessories/Gear. Ideally I'd like to walk out the door at $7500.

I like 1 for the obvious reasons, it has all the mods I'd already do on the bike. But I would have to pay for the bike and have it shipped without having looked at it. I talked to the shop that did all the mods on the bike and the seller seems to be legit (I did my usual background check).

I like 2, as I can go and Walk out the door with a brand new Thrux without having to wait and with some "free" accessories like the TORS Pipes, etc.

ugh, I can't decide, help me out!

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you truly feel confident with #1... I'd be all over it. That's about 3 grand worth of killer upgrades.
+1 , also, I would rather have the carbs like my own '08 Thrux.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you truly feel confident with #1... I'd be all over it. That's about 3 grand worth of killer upgrades.
yeah, pretty confident. i spoke to the dealer that actually sold the bike to the seller and also did all the mods for him.

i'd using my credit card to pay for the bike and pay it off when my next statement rolls in. this will give me extra benefit of having fraud protection if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think you should let me buy that one, and I'll sell you my '08 thrux.
Sounds like a killer deal to me, I'd be all over it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just thought I'd throw my two cent in, my local dealer is not offering the $750 on the 2009 models, just the leftover 2008's. The used one sounds like a great deal...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd throw my two cent in, my local dealer is not offering the $750 on the 2009 models, just the leftover 2008's. The used one sounds like a great deal...
I'm interested in 08, as I love the flexibility Carbies provide.

Well, I bought it and will be here next Monday! :D

now... anyone want to buy an 05 speed triple!? :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
That used 2008 sounds like a pretty good deal. The exhaust and shocks alone are worth it.
+1

The $750 incentive is nice, but you're getting way more than $750 worth of upgrades on the 2008. I've had bikes with Öhlins shocks before and they truly are the best in the world.

A lot of it depends on which bike you want, though - carbed or EFI. It's not exactly and apples-to-oranges comparison, but it's at least two different kinds of apples. Me, I like the carbs. When I heard the Triumph Bonnies and Thruxes were going EFI in 2008, it spurred me to finally buy the Thrux I'd been eyeing for four years. But, some people love EFI. There are pros and cons each way, so I would think long and hard about which fueling system you want and make your decision based largely on that. If we were talking about this a year ago, it would be a different conversation.

Also, don't forget that the 2008 has real clip-ons and the 2009 has "café-style" bars. Again, pros and cons each way. I like both the riding position and the authentic look of clip-ons, but some people like having real bars as it makes it easier to change if you want something different (like sticking some touring bars on there...).

Sounds like you can't go too wrong either way - both are good options in the grand scheme. Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow...

My shipper picked up the bike Yesterday morning (Saturday) and she is here!!!!!!!!!! (uship.com ROCKS!)

It's late, so I didn't look at the bike that closely, but it is pristine! Arrow 2-1 sounds awesome and I can see handful of mods he had done by his dealer... I may need you guys to figure out what exactly all the mods are as I'm not familiar with Thruxtons.

I'm glad I went with a "used" 2008 Thrux with 540 miles instead of a new one from the dealer.

I'll post pics when I can!

:D:D:D

·
Registered
249 Posts
awesome man we need to go riding sometime! i will be back in late june/early july. im down in tacoma as well as rodburner. post some pics!

·
Registered
317 Posts
My shipper picked up the bike Yesterday morning (Saturday) and she is here!!!!!!!!!! (uship.com ROCKS!)

It's late, so I didn't look at the bike that closely, but it is pristine! Arrow 2-1 sounds awesome and I can see handful of mods he had done by his dealer... I may need you guys to figure out what exactly all the mods are as I'm not familiar with Thruxtons.

I'm glad I went with a "used" 2008 Thrux with 540 miles instead of a new one from the dealer.

I'll post pics when I can!

:D:D:D
Can't wait to see the pics. I never get tired of seeing them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
pics!

here she is, i apologize for mediocre pics, it was taken with my iphone at work. man i love this bike, such nice mods on this baby. thanks for all the input!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts