Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to my piano teacher (too many years ago for me to mention), I have big hands. However, according to Triumph I have the right hand of Jeremy Beadle! The stretch to the brake lever is long.... Is there a lever that fits mere mortals, not just Kenny Everette's Brother Lee Love?

Cheers,
Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hi Ian,
Triumph/Lockheed made dog leg levers for late models TSS and TSX in 82/83. Also Anglo bike made aftermarket dog leg levers (I prefer these over the Triumph ones). They only for the post 79 ‘black’ Lucas switches.

You could get the Triumph ones occasionally 10years ago, now they extra rare.

There was a rumour 4 or 5 years ago, that Indian company Enfield County were going to reproduce them, but I think it never happened.

They do work pretty well, you are pulling with the middle section of your finger, rather than the tip.

I have attached a photo of the Triumph/Lockheed version compared to a standard lever.

I have been watching a dogleg brake lever for a little while in the USA, unfortunately they don’t have the matching dogleg clutch lever.
I will PM you the link to this, in case you want to import it. Shipping/VAT/Import duties makes it an expensive option though.

Regards
Peg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
been looking for some dogleg levers for years - no luck -- i even emailed India some years ago re the fabled intent to make some -- they came back to me and confirmed the "intent" - but no date - and still no levers

i have reduced the reach to a standard lever slightly by heating and bending - ( you need a bar of soap - oxy/acet - and a spare lever in case you over do it )

i practiced on some scrap ali of a similar thickness - hold in a vice - use a piece of tube as a lever and apply lightish pressure - when the soap rubber on the lever goes black you will find the ali goes very slightly soft and you can sloooowly move it to the shape you want -- takes practice and is stll scarey when you start on the real thing

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I paid $15.- for 11 mm front master with a dogleg lever from China, have been working for 2 seasons and to this day don't have any problems with it other than lack of originality. :)

·
6,441 Posts
Hi Ian,

Similar to Adam's post, if you aren't bothered about originality at least while you ride your bike, post https://www.triumphrat.net/2003528770-post9.html; with inexpensive switch clusters separate from the levers, you then have the option of sourcing inexpensive separate levers? If Hinckley switch clusters appeal, a subsequent post on the Forum suggested ones with headlamp on/off switches are pre-2004?

Hth.

Regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts