Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my next bike will have to have ABS. I have come to this conclusion after braking in the rain and ending up sliding into the back of a panel van in London. Luckily it was at slow speed and i just rolled of the bike onto the centre line. This is when being a bit overweight can come in handy as it helps you bounce better. All i suffered was bit of a sore back, probably caused by picking the bike up. as for the bike, it needs 2 front side fairings, front fairing, headlight, rear r/h pannier lid and r/h exhaust and the front sub frame tweaking a bit. Thing get worse while strapped down on the recovery truck and negotiating the 3rd bend a look out the of the rear window and think wheres my ....king bike gone. after getting out to take a look the old girl is laid on the side that wasn't that badly damaged. after righting it and re strapping it down and i got home. Oh and the first recovery truck that turned up had a car front lift trailer, fat lot of good that was.
I'm not concerned about frame damage/twisting of the frame caused by the accident but am more concerned about the effect of the bike going over with the front wheel and swinging arm still tightly strapped down. All that side load on the forks and swinging arm question is will it be a right off as an 02 in good condition and 17,000 miles on the clock? Any opinions gratefully received.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Don't know about the Island's, but here in N. America there is a company called Motorcycle Towing Services that ensures only the proper equipment is dispatched for motorcycle recovery or assistance. They cover all of U.S., Canada, Hawaii, and Porto Rico. Nothing worse than getting a greasy tilt-bed car hauler to try and pick up your precious bike. Here's the web site for anyone interested: http://www.mts-towing.com

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I presume you paid for motorcycle recovery right? When called on you should expect a professional to arrive with the correct equipment and knowledge to relay your vehicle back to you home or wherever without causing additional damage.
This is not the dark ages, proper equipment exists and has done for a good while now to achieve this.
My steps would be call the recovery company and complain, make a note of the time you call, who you speak with and what you both say.
Follow this up with a complaint in writing, meanwhile get a Triumph dealer to check the bike over and let them know why and what you are doing. It might be worth having a chat with them first and explaining the situation. Try and get a report of any damage caused by the recovery (HA!) mans incompetence and the estimated repair cost.
If nothing else if stir enough ***** up it may at least prevent some other poor***** having to suffer at the hands of these muppets. You never know. Oooooo this kind of thing makes me boil!!!!!! :mad:
Let us know what happens

Cheers
Nic :-g

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charlotte,

I've been onto the breakdown company (the RAC) who arrange for the recovery which was free as part of the insurance deal. They subsequently sub contracted the job out to the bunch of cowboys who collected the bike. The RAC have given me a report number and said they will investigate and send me a investigation & finding report. I am confident they will try to do there bit, but that depends on how forthcoming the cowboys are.

Bob.

·
Registered
231 Posts
BOBh,
I would strongly advise you to test ride an ABS bike before you buy. It's not for everyone. that's for sure.

Cheer's,
Tom.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom,

Wots the disadvantages of ABS, you sound as though you know something i don't.

Bob.

·
Registered
112 Posts
On 2007-02-11 17:27, bobh wrote:
Tom,

Wots the disadvantages of ABS, you sound as though you know something i don't.

Bob.
A bike with ABS is totally different to ride and quite disconcerting to ride at first. When you brake hard you have to remember to keep the lever pulled in hard and dont let go!!

Your natural instinct is once the forks dip to back off and reaply the brake etc. However, this will disengage the ABS and negate its effect.

Regards, GG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts