Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Triple Ripple on the Sprint forum for his post: http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/100992-the-mystery-of-the-missing-oil-deepens.html#post1178352

I'm gonna print out his post and show it to my dealer. Fortunately, my dealer is one of the best in the country. In fact, the owner is one of the mechanics and the other mechanic knows his stuff too so I'm sure they will give me the straight poop on whether or not my bike is afflicted with the problem that Triple Ripple experienced. Wish me luck! (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Wow...those pictures in that link have quite a bit of scoring on the sleeves. Yeeech. I use an oil filter magnet on the bottom and a magnetic drain plug. Do you think this will help?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
The TrippleRipple story looks like coolant has mixed with oil or oil filter bypass has opened and let debris circulate in the engine. Or engine has been starved of oil at some point in it's life.

As his original problem seems to have been disappearing oil in the first place, I'd say the scoring and excessive wear might be the result and not the original reason.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Martin_R
Might be also relevent for ohsoslow too?

Oil passage blocked on certain 07's.

just a thought.

·
Registered
89 Posts
ohsoslow
"Oil passage blocked on certain 07's."

Caused by bad batch of sealant or just application ie too much in certain areas?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Earlier this week, I printed out Triple Ripple's post and gave it my dealer and he said he would read it later. I took my S3 to the dealer about a month ago and the other mechanic verified the oil loss and documented it. I'll just keep taking my S3 to them and have them top off my oil and document the losses. I'm losing a quart every 1,000 miles now and my warranty expires in June. I've had all service done at the dealer aside from changing the oil myself at 3,000 mile intervals between the 6,000 mile service intervals & changing my coolant and bleeding my brakes back in the fall. At this time, I've got about 19,000 miles on the S3. It runs great and gets about 40-50 mpg so I won't freak out anymore and just ride the snot out of the bike in the meantime & hope for the best from Triumph as time goes on. I'll update this thread regularly with my progress.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
A quart burned every 1000 miles ?? Sheesh...it's not a BMW boxer motor.
Tell me about it.....I think it's turning into a two-stroke.:D

My dealer observed an oil loss of about 1/4 quart for the first time about a month ago. I feel confident that they'll be methodical in everything and then go to bat for me with Triumph when the time comes. How's that for positive thinking?! :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Tell me about it.....I think it's turning into a two-stroke.:D

My dealer observed an oil loss of about 1/4 quart for the first time about a month ago. I feel confident that they'll be methodical in everything and then go to bat for me with Triumph when the time comes. How's that for positive thinking?! :)
i wish you luck!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update #1

Took Speedy in for another oil check. The oil level dropped about 1/4 quart in 250-300 miles. The dealer mechanic (awesome guy) topped the oil off for me and told me that he would inform Triumph of my oil usage and see what they want to do next. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
458 Posts
That's nuts.
Any usage more than a few drops between oil changes is not acceptable.
Mine doesn't burn a drop and that's how it should be. I change often. If you bought it new and it's under warranty, then drop it off at your dealer and tell them to fix it. Period. What is the big ordeal?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's nuts.
Any usage more than a few drops between oil changes is not acceptable.
Mine doesn't burn a drop and that's how it should be. I change often. If you bought it new and it's under warranty, then drop it off at your dealer and tell them to fix it. Period. What is the big ordeal?
Since the bike runs like a top and the oil usage is the only sign that something is wrong, I'm being methodical about having everything documented by my dealer which I trust. I want to keep my dealer on my side and an adversarial approach to this situation would not help my cause.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Oil Usuage

Hey Guys

I generally do about 1000 miles a month on my 06. I check oil quite reg.
I generally add prob 3/4 pint over a month. Is this wrong / excessive?

I do run here quite hard nearly 100% of the time!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Guys

I generally do about 1000 miles a month on my 06. I check oil quite reg.
I generally add prob 3/4 pint over a month. Is this wrong / excessive?

I do run here quite hard nearly 100% of the time!
I was told by my mechanic that no significant amounts of oil should need to be added between service intervals. If your bike is still under warranty, I'd get it to your dealer ASAP to have them document your oil loss. Even if your bike is out of warranty, I'd still take it to your dealer and have them verify the oil loss in the hope that Triumph would step up and rectify any problem related to an engine defect. Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an '07 that is using oil also. I bought it from the dealer used but it only had 400 some odd miles on it. I changed the oil and filter on it as soon as I got it home. I only have 2300 miles on it right now. Is my warranty still good? I've also put an after market filter on it. Will that void the warranty?

Ther service department at my local shop is crap and the next closest dealler is 2 1/2 hours away. I would really like to get this cleared up!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have an '07 that is using oil also. I bought it from the dealer used but it only had 400 some odd miles on it. I changed the oil and filter on it as soon as I got it home. I only have 2300 miles on it right now. Is my warranty still good? I've also put an after market filter on it. Will that void the warranty?

Ther service department at my local shop is crap and the next closest dealler is 2 1/2 hours away. I would really like to get this cleared up!
You have the remainder of the factory warranty on your bike and an aftermarket oil filter shouldn't void the warranty unless Triumph is looking for ANY reason to screw their customers. For what it's worth, I used Bosch filters with oil changes in between my 6,000 mile service intervals. Explain your oil loss situation with the dealer of your choice and ask them if they will check your oil level on a regular basis so you can have your oil loss documented so Triumph can fix it. Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is starting to sound like a wide spread problem with the '07's. It would be nice if Triumph would find out the real cause of the problem and issue a recall. If most of their '07's start blowing up it won't be a real great way to get return customers.

·
Registered
657 Posts
This is starting to sound like a wide spread problem with the '07's. It would be nice if Triumph would find out the real cause of the problem and issue a recall. If most of their '07's start blowing up it won't be a real great way to get return customers.
Widespread problem? Because 2 guys have it? I have '07 and it didn't use a drop of oil neither during break-in and between following oil changes as well. Coming to 12k miles, I've checked oil yesterday and it is still good.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts