Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was responsible for bringing Maidstone to a grinding halt yesterday, and all I had to do was get knocked off my bike, get knocked out and taken away in an ambulance.

The Terrace Rd in Maidstone is the start of the one way system, a northerly direction rd joins a southerly direction rd in a right hand bend, as they run together approx 20 meters down the solid white lines stop and all sorts of filtering, lane changing chaos ensues by the cagers. A C Class Merc decided that he wanted to be in my lane and quote "went for the gap between two cars" sadly for me I was between the gap and he hit me hard enough to low side the bike some 25 meters down the road, I hit the kerb head on, bounced off it and span around a bit. I then came round and the traffic hadn't stopped, they just drove around me and my bike as we lay in the road some 10 meters apart. The car driver stopped and a well meaning member of public leant over me and handed me part of my indicator that had come off in the collision. Realising that I was still in the road with traffic filtering around me I got up walked over to the footpath and promptly passed out. When I came round I did a quick damage assesment of me, and as the traffic was still moving dialled 999 and called my own ambulance and police car.

When the Police arrived they were quite impressive, they started to shout at the idiots trying to watch me prop the wall up, moved the bike, took all the relevant details from the buffoon car driver who admitted it was his fault to the nice policeman and parked the bike up on the footpath as I was conveyed to hospital.

I have whiplash, brusied ribs and sore everything else. My lid, jacket and trousers are written off, and when I went back to the bike today it had a parking ticket on it!

The bike has damage down it's left side, the indicator, gear lever, clutch lever and clip on have had it, the mud guard is scraped and so is the left fork and footpeg.

My Insurance company have sorted a replacement bike (Bandit 1250) and a 'hire' lid (A brand new horrible thing, however it has a ACU goldbadge and is free with the bike so no complaints) and the solicitors have opened a file (has anyone used BLD?) and I have comparison quotes for my kit.

I rang the parking enforcement office today and was told 'I saw you in the road I had to steer round you...'

·
Registered
826 Posts
jesus christ mate, as horific as this is there were a few parts that made me chuckle!
1)a well meaning member of public leant over me and handed me part of my indicator that had come off in the collision.

2)I went back to the bike today it had a parking ticket on it!

and the biggest piss take?

I rang the parking enforcement office today and was told 'I saw you in the road I had to steer round you...'

a severe lack of judgement and discretion on their part!
add it to your claim!

all the best for your recovery dude!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ouch

Hi DJS,

Heartfelt commiserations from the antipodes on your incident. Its a bitch when you are riding along minding your own business and get taken out like that. Hope body and beast are mobile again quickly.

A lot of you guys sign off with these great epithets and when I got through reading your post and saw the sign off string - well you would have to agree that there is a certain irony - if you had looked more important, well they might have seen you......................?

Best wishes - Kiwigeoff:D

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
That section of the one way is truly whacky races !!

I'd get the bike into Maidstone Motorliner to check everything is straight ?? and your also probably on CCTV to as maidstone is heaving with cameras....

You got to give it to the parking chap...keen to hit another target, if he carries on like that he might be due promotion ;-/

As for you and your bike you have my sympathies, I've got a spare L/H footpeg and indicator if you want to get the old bus up and running sooner rather than later ??

Heal quick...oh and by the way he was low on ammo which is why he rammed you...been watching too many Jap fighter pilots ;-)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry to hear of your off. I know that stretch of road very well, I live in Maidstone. It's a nightmare in the car as well as on the bike.
With regards the over zealous traffic warden, I know that at one time, certain departments of Maidstone Police were refusing to attend crimes in Maidstone because they would get parking tickets while parked up at scenes of crimes!

I have a box of Speed Triple bits (including a spare non running engine), if you need anything, let me know and I will have a look for you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
glad you are ok... i have been fortunate to avoid collisions on my bike, but when i hear about stuff like this it makes me think about how easy it is to get hit by someone not paying attention...

good luck with the recovery and insurance claim...

later,
Chris

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Wow, who knew the English countryside could be worse than Brooklyn? :eek:

Sorry to hear it, man, good luck & god speed!

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts