Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, what a crazy trip.
550 mile over two days in much colder temps than I originally anticipated. The first day was ok until nightfall. As you can see, my jacket isn't all that warm and I just had a t-shirt over a long sleeved t-shirt. Started off in the low 60's. Once I lost the sun the temps really dropped and i was shivering while riding for about an hour, in the dark, in the middle of freakin nowhere! This was after I left Little Rock after noon-ish, went through Mena and took the scenic talimena trail up through the mountains until it dumped me off on the other side onto 259 south... a logging road. Nice road but not so cool to be on at night and the sun had just gone down. Took about 50 miles or so before I hit Broken Bow which had a Microtel motel. I was never so happy to see a motel in my LIFE! Shivering and tired, I walked in, got a room, ran to McD's for some grub, went back to take a HOT shower and then went to bed. The next day I woke up and ran to the Walmart a couple blocks away and got a great PVC rain suit for 30 bucks! And a thermal top. Temps were 38 degrees when i left at 9:30 and only got up to around 50 all the way home. This day I did around 350 miles and felt ok when i arrived home. The pvc rocked.

So anyway, here's a few pics. Honestly it was too cold to stop and take as many as I wanted to. This trip would have been awesome in the spring or summer.

Here's me waiting to board my plane in Houston.

Here's me, proud new owner of a modded 2004 Thruxton with only 2708 miles on the odo, about to take off from the previous owners house in Little Rock. Got my new Cortech bags on, which are awesome btw. The tailbag never budged an inch and the tank bag was steady and gave me something to lean on. Good stuff. The tailbag has the Thrux cowl in it as well as my clothes, tools and other stuff. Speaking of which, i got a bicycle multi-tool with a serrated knife in it through the Houston airport... carry-on. Hmmm....

Here I am on the beginning of the scenic trail heading out of Mena, AR.

Just a couple quick shots in a small park on the trail. REAL QUICK, cause i new the sun was starting to set...

I couldn't get over the views, and this was only part way up! We don't have this in TX and I forgot what the views were like in NY.

About halfway through the scenic trail i crossed into OK. Last pic since after this i started to freeze my arse off!

Until today when i crosssed into Texas. Whoopee.... I think.... :razz:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Sounds like you had a cool trip.........or should I say cold trip.
Glad to hear you had a safe trip, no speeding tickets??????
Nice bike and great pic's thanks for shearing.
Bill

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
ahhh...d2 You are THE MAN.

Always great pics and commentary.

Glad you're safe and home.

Now let the mods (I have lots of ideas for you) begin!

:bow:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 2007-03-03 21:37, bonnevillebilly wrote:
no speeding tickets??????
Nope! Although I saw several, the po-po left me alone. I kept it right on the speed limit the first day and the second day i kept it at 5-10 over and kept a good look out. :cool:

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Glad you made it safely. Beautiful bike, and great pics :-D

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
No kidding, winter sucks. As to your comment about the view "We don't have this in TX", make sure and make it to the RAT RAID in November.

I really like the perspective in the fifth photo. Very good photography, great bike. Hope to catch up with you on one of the RAT rides.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Pretty bike. Glad to see you took the scenic route back to TX. Pics 4/5 are at the Kerr Arboretum, I usually stop there to use the restroom.
259 is not that bad, especially that climb to three sticks.
Used to be a nice Mexican place in Broken Bow on 259. Greenish color on the West side of the road.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On 2007-03-03 22:22, sweatmachine wrote:
How was the Talimena Trail?
Very cool! I want to go back sometime on the Vstrom with the wife.
Two tips.... go when its a little warmer, and go earlier in the day before the sun starts setting. I was being blinded a bit since the sun was low and i was riding straight into it on the steep uphill grades.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Glad to see you made back in one piece, no banjo music. There are some great roads in Arkansas and Oklahoma. Its not that far from Houston. Ive left Houston at 10:00pm and had breakfast in Fort Smith so a long weekend for some good riding roads would be worth the sacrifice :-D I know what you mean about the cold when the sun goes down it gets down right chilly on an unfaired bike. I've been looking at electric clothing and waiting for the weather to warm up so the shops will put the stuff on sale. That's a great looking Thrux and I'm glad to see you back with us again. What mods has the previous owner done to it?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On 2007-03-04 07:28, BornAgain wrote:
What mods has the previous owner done to it?
Interestingly enough, he has done everything I would have done if I would have bought it new, which is why I jumped on it.
1. Bikini Fairing
2. Fender Eliminator with all new signals
3. NARK
4. AI removal
5. Jetting with Jenks Bolts shims, needles and jets
6. TORs (this is the only item I would have done differently with Predators, but the tors sound pretty good)
All the work was performed by the local triumph dealer. And I'm paying him to ship me all the stock parts that he kept in storage.

I want to get the yellow cam cover and then new rear suspension - black with yellow coated springs. :cool:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well there ain't nothing left to do but throw a leg over and ride that puppy. Enjoy send me a pm sometime there's some great roads out around Wallisville Brookshire area.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
It's a real shame you decided to go and throw in your sorry political opinion as well.

So here's my opinion d2mini...

Fellow countrymen are sacrificing their lives for a cause, so ignorant little schmucks like you can live the good life.
At least leave Texas cause we won't tolerate people like you. Maybe you should have just stayed in Arkansas where you'd fit in a little better.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mare,

Go ahead and delete me... but please delete that picture as well. His comment (on it) is REALLY not appreciated here in the "Great State of Bush".

[ This message was edited by: MA0458 on 2007-03-04 11:26 ]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts