Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
In comparing the two bikes, most riders have pointed out advantages one has over the other. You, however, simply said the Thunderbird handles like a tractor - sort of an absurd and denigrating comparison.
Exactly, but you didn't have to tell him that....he knew it when he posted it and thats what irritates me.

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
In comparing the two bikes, most riders have pointed out advantages one has over the other. You, however, simply said the Thunderbird handles like a tractor
Well then let me clarify. when I test rode it, I had trouble telling the difference between 3rd, & 4th gear. This could be due the the torque that the engine puts out. If I was in 4th gear, and really should have been in 3rd, the engine didn't care and powered through it. I would prefer more responsive gearing. So to me, the lower gears on the T-Bird are geared too low and have the feel of a "granny-gear". Hence, my crack about it handling like a John-Deere.

Exactly, but you didn't have to tell him that....he knew it when he posted it and thats what irritates me.
Sorry I irritated you, but that was my honest and initial reaction when I test rode it the first time. I should have expanded on the comment then, and not thrown a grenade in the room. My apologies.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
thanks, accepted. As to the gearing, not sure why you felt that but it's actually fairly wide. probably like you said due to the torque. The bike's top speed *if* it was capable of pulling redline in top gear is around 180 MPH. So you can imagine that 1st couldn't be very short without being way out of proportion to the other gears, and if anything the bike is geared very high. If you're happy with the bonnie then no reason to look further, at least if and when you feel you need or want to. But if you ever do i would suggest you take a 1700 storm out for a long demo. a short ride doesn't reveal much to some people, and i'm one of those as i mentioned before. I think if you do that you'll come back shocked as to what you feel about it then as opposed to how you did that first time. the 1600's are ok, but a 1700 is a whole other animal. You can cruise all day at well over 100 on these things w/o breaking a sweat. (that is if you aren't getting fatigued by the wind)

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I have difficulty knowing if I'm in 5th or 6th - sometimes I lose track because to me they seem so close together. The others are easy, at around 2000rpm I'm doing 20 in 2nd, 30 in 3rd, 40 in 4th and 50 in 5th - then again I'm not an agressive rider.
Sunday I was on some country roads in FL, enjoying the cool shade of the big mossy oaks and cruising along at about 50, when I was startled by a crotch rocket wizzing past me - followed by - no exageration, by at least 12 more - all hunkered down in black leather, passing on the curves and solid double lines. The last 2-3 were the wildest - desperate to catch up and indifferent to oncoming traffic. Different strokes for different folks!
Later I looked back and there were about 5-6 cruisers well back, just following along at my cruising speed. They never closed the gap or tried to pass; I finally lost them when I turned off.
Life is good, and it's even better on a Thunderbird! :happay

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have to agree, my Thunderbird won't clear snow worth a dam up here on our mountain compared to my John Deere. :beerchug

Thanks for the heads up! I wont even try the snow remaval with it!:D

I am sort of double offended here because he picked on both my bike and my tractor. You know both my tractors handle very well and to have them used a derogatory thing is really hurtfull!!:p

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
The solution to the Bonneville VS Thunderbird question ...

Get one of each and ride whichever you feel like when the mood strikes you :p

(I wish I could do that!)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Dan McGrath
Minitwins
Favourite Bike: T100
Other Motorcycle: basket case Honda Scrambl
"Horse's for courses......I just left a cruiser for a Bonnie, love it . Completely different ride between the two of them. Both the America and the T-Bird are good looking machines, enjoy your Thunderbird !"

Whoa dude, "horses for courses?". I had to look up that particular idiom, me being an idiot, and I figured maybe you're a British dude, but you're from Jersey. I never heard it before..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thundered vs bonneville

The solution to the Bonneville VS Thunderbird question ...

Get one of each and ride whichever you feel like when the mood strikes you :p

(I wish I could do that!)
Took your advice. Keeping the Bonnie and buying the 2010 bird. Delivery in 2 weeks.

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Brew this isn't about you.:D

I'm buying the bike because it does handle quite nicely and is easy on the road as it is on the eyes.

I ride for a living as a motorcycle cop, so I've got quite a few more miles then most and I know what I like. This bike is every bit an all rounder, unlike the Bonnie. It handles as well, cruises at highway speeds with ease, has gobs more torque and is a much better longer distance road bike. That's why it's getting traded for the T-Bird.;)

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Don't tell the guys at the Twins forum, but I desperately want a Tiger 800XC. :eek:

That bike was built for me. I can't bring myself to trade in the Bonnie for it though. I will just wait till I can have both :D
Don't worry, I have Thunderbird, not a Bonnie, so I don't hang out and gossip on the Bonnie forum... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Brew this isn't about you.:D

I'm buying the bike because it does handle quite nicely and is easy on the road as it is on the eyes.

I ride for a living as a motorcycle cop, so I've got quite a few more miles then most and I know what I like. This bike is every bit an all rounder, unlike the Bonnie. It handles as well, cruises at highway speeds with ease, has gobs more torque and is a much better longer distance road bike. That's why it getting traded for the T-Bird.;)
Now THERES a recommendation ! Thanks VC. So often you try and tell people the Tbird is an all around great bike but many just refuse to believe it in one way or another. I think such a glowing description of the Tbird from someone who rides 8 hours a day for a living might have a pretty dependable opinion, dontcha all think?!

Now, down to business.....can ya help me out next time i get a speeding ticket? :D

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Now THERES a recommendation ! Thanks VC. So often you try and tell people the Tbird is an all around great bike but many just refuse to believe it in one way or another. I think such a glowing description of the Tbird from someone who rides 8 hours a day for a living might have a pretty dependable opinion, dontcha all think?!

Now, down to business.....can ya help me out next time i get a speeding ticket? :D
So....:confused::D

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I know your having some fun on my behalf, so let me say this. Considering you're in Ca Daz and I'm not, I doubt seriously if we'd every cross paths in my official capacity.

Eitherway, I may give you a warning but I don't fix citations for anyone. Not even my wife for obvious reasons, sorry.;)

Thanks Randomo. The chrome pulley and lower fork legs are on the way.

All the Best

Cy

21 - 40 of 43 Posts