Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title is sarcasm, I'm terribly grumpy in the morning.

This one especially since I woke up to the terrible fact that some asshat had knocked my bike over in the middle of the night, I guess that's what I get for street parking. Luckily I just got the parts in the mail today to fix my last problem too. Surface level things could be worse, it landed on just three points, my rear break pedal(bent), my right handle(breaking my mirror, but thats not bad considering, and unfortunately on my clutch cover. Now when I pull in the clutch lever I can disengage enough to shift gears, but it won't fully disengage, I can still feel it pulling when rolling in first with the lever pulled. Doesn't look like the cable is damaged since it landed on it's right side, but I'm not certain. Anybody know what kind of damage I might be looking at?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Your clutch is hydraulic; no cable. My guess is the cover is pushed in enough to prevent the pushrod from making full travel. You're going to have to take the cover off and look. There's engine oil in there and the California EPA police will be watching... Better call a hazmat team.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
It's possible you have air in your hydraulic clutch system. Maybe try bleeding that first. Is your clutch cover dented in?

·
Registered
280 Posts
First off, that just plain sucks. I'm starting to lose my faith in humanity. My father had this happen to his Harley-Davidson when he lived in the San Jose area (Livermore). Apparently the police told him that this kind of thing happens quite frequently. What?!

Anyway, regarding your clutch issue: my gut feeling is that it is likely that some air may have found it's way into the line while it was laying down. I would go ahead and bleed the clutch - it can't hurt anything. How do the brakes feel? You may consider doing those as well as long as you have the bottle of brake fluid open. :)

Sorry for your bad luck.

Noel

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's possible you have air in your hydraulic clutch system. Maybe try bleeding that first. Is your clutch cover dented in?
Your clutch is hydraulic; no cable. My guess is the cover is pushed in enough to prevent the pushrod from making full travel. You're going to have to take the cover off and look. There's engine oil in there and the California EPA police will be watching... Better call a hazmat team.
First off, that just plain sucks. I'm starting to lose my faith in humanity. My father had this happen to his Harley-Davidson when he lived in the San Jose area (Livermore). Apparently the police told him that this kind of thing happens quite frequently. What?!

Anyway, regarding your clutch issue: my gut feeling is that it is likely that some air may have found it's way into the line while it was laying down. I would go ahead and bleed the clutch - it can't hurt anything. How do the brakes feel? You may consider doing those as well as long as you have the bottle of brake fluid open. :)

Sorry for your bad luck.

Noel
Ahhh thanks for all the help and sympathy. I'm sorry for your dad's harley ouch, worst part of the bay area in my opinion, street parking is essentially begging for someone to **** with your stuff, and cops can't do much about it even if they do see something, since repeat offenders are out in just a couple of weeks. Waking up to a tipped bike isn't even the worst I've seen happen around here. A buddy of mine last year had his r6 smashed up by someone with a bat or something in the middle of the night.

I unfortunately couldn't get any pictures of my clutch cover today as I'm away for the night, but from what I saw yesterday it's only scuffed(the second scuff on there, first by me though), and not dented. Brakes are fine from what I can tell rolling around, and they were bled about a month ago in the shop,(as was the clutch fluid, I believe). Before I deal with the oily mess of taking the cover off I think I'll bleed the clutch fluid to try and get any air out. Though to be quite honest I don't really know what I'll be doing as I'm rather new to working on engines, so if anyone has any tips that I might not find during the extensive google researching I'll be doing, I'd appreciate it :)

And thanks again for all the help guys

·
Registered
310 Posts
Don't worry, bleeding the clutch on these bikes is very easy. Lots of tutorials; here's one from Delboy that takes 30 minutes to discuss a 5 minute procedure, but he IS thorough:

Agree that you should do the brakes too if you are going to open the bottle.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't worry, bleeding the clutch on these bikes is very easy. Lots of tutorials; here's one from Delboy that takes 30 minutes to discuss a 5 minute procedure, but he IS thorough:

Agree that you should do the brakes too if you are going to open the bottle.....
Thanks :) that was great video, exactly the kind of thorough explanation I was looking for. My break and clutch fluid levels were completely topped off, and I didn't see any bubbles when I bled the lines either :/ Now to make things worse I'm having a really rough time changing gears now. I'm about to have to spend a lot of money aren't I? T.T

Also as a side note, is my oil level too high? I've read it's supposed to be about halfway up the sight glass, but mine is fully covered when upright, and barely a bubble when on the stand.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you have the fuel tap off when the bike tipped over?

If the clutch is not releasing then it won't shift as smoothly. Or, if the crankcase is full of gasoline....

Is that a crease in the clutch cover?
Yeah, the tap was turned off but I definitely leaked gas everywhere. No crease in the cover, I think what your seeing is my cover strap, I just pulled the cover off a bit when I took the picture :p or if it's that off color streak near the scratches, that was just from whatever leaked onto it that I hadn't wiped down yet

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Well, if that's really an air bubble in the window when on the side stand the level in the crankcase is way off. On the side stand you should see all air. You should be able to see the level in the window when the bike is upright. Roch the bike from the side stand to just past level and watch the window. Sometimes it 's hard to distinguish between the oil and the air. Easier if you see the transition happen.

If the fuel tap was off, I can't imagine how anything got in there as a result of the tip over, but I'd still want to figure out what is in there and get the level correct. (Who does your oil changes?) If you can get a drop of oil out and put it on a paper towel, if it forms two rings (oil surrounded by gas) then there's gas in the oil. Pure oil will only form one circle.

The damage to the clutch cover doesn't appear to be significant. Have you bled the clutch yet?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, if that's really an air bubble in the window when on the side stand the level in the crankcase is way off. On the side stand you should see all air. You should be able to see the level in the window when the bike is upright. Roch the bike from the side stand to just past level and watch the window. Sometimes it 's hard to distinguish between the oil and the air. Easier if you see the transition happen.

If the fuel tap was off, I can't imagine how anything got in there as a result of the tip over, but I'd still want to figure out what is in there and get the level correct. (Who does your oil changes?) If you can get a drop of oil out and put it on a paper towel, if it forms two rings (oil surrounded by gas) then there's gas in the oil. Pure oil will only form one circle.

The damage to the clutch cover doesn't appear to be significant. Have you bled the clutch yet?
Well I bled the clutch and drained a little over half of my reserve (turns out I don't have any tubes so I used a rubber glove hehe). I can change gears easier now, but I can still feel some resistance when in gear and the clutch is pulled, especially when trying to roll backwards. Should I try bleeding the clutch even more in that case?

Also here's a video I made just to show how high the level is at, I start out on my side stand and have to reeaaly start rocking it for the line to show. Nobody does my oil changes actually. I plan to do it myself, but I haven't changed my oil yet since purchase. The previous owner said that he had just changed it when I bought the bike, and I'm just under 1000 miles on it so far.

https://youtu.be/_S212UPj6Kw

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Well, there's way too much oil in there. There should be no oil showing in the sight glass when the bike is on the side stand. The glass shouldn't be completely filled until just after it passes through vertical.

With cold oil there will always be some drag rolling the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in. If the bike doesn't creep then I wouldn't worry about it. The excess oil could very well be contributing to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts