Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Hijack: So I got and tried the Toddy thing to see if it can help with the daily evisceration. My first time out was messy start to finish with ground coffee both before and after. Also, I watched a couple of videos first, but I still messed up a little bit as I didn't yield as much as I should. This may have been due to steeping too long. Anyhoo, I was expecting to compare to brew coffee or espresso, instead it is a different drink. It is way better than the sensitive stomach coffee crap I tried a sip of one time.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The Toddy is messy until you get used to the process. The hopper is unnecessarily the exact size, which means you're going to have coffee grounds all the way up to the rim if you use a full pound. Plus, it's kind of a tedious process of adding water, coffee, waiting, adding, waiting, etc., to avoid pockets of dry coffee. The instructions say not to stir it because the finer bits of coffee can clog the filter. I got kind of annoyed with all that, so I now mix the water and coffee all together in a bowl and just scoop it into the hopper (with a little water added first), which seems to work for me. The filter does clog a little sometimes, but I still get almost a full carafe. Sometimes the yield is less, but it never occurred to me that steeping too long would be the cause; it makes sense.

(Sorry for the hijack, Billbikes.)

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
This is the only way to make a single cup of coffee.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I think it's a cool idea, but it's been around for a long time, it's called an espresso machine. Only difference is you don't have to buy cups for the earlier versions.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Another Keurig fan here. On weekends, I usually have a cup in the morning and that's about it. Wifey and the kids like the variety of Hot Cocoa or the Hot Apple Cider.

The refillable filter is great for trying different coffees.

If one or two of the kids have hot cocoa and nothing is run thru it afterwards, the little pokey thing in the holder can get a little clogged if the empty cup is left in there (yeah I know - they ought to throw it away right proper and we wouldn't have that problem. Kids. :rolleyes: )

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
My wife and I love the Keurig as well. It works out really well for us as she has to get up and leave for work much earlier than I do. She makes her cup and heads out the door, I will have one or two later. They also have some nice Chai, Cocoa, Hot Cider and Tea cups for the machines. I purchased mine through Costco. It came with a large box of assorted coffees as well as one of the refillable filter cups. I purchased a second one of those so it is easier to make a couple of cups back to back. Costco is a cheaper way to buy the K-cups, but selection is very limited. My personal favorite (not available at Starbucks) is the Revv Pulse with the Ginseng and Guarana. Oh yeah!

One of the posts above mentioned the chicory coffee, my wife buys cans of that Café du Monde coffee and she makes cups of that from time to time with the refillable filter. We also used various bagged coffees from different coffee shops etc.

Speaking of more brands of the cups popping up, for the Starbucks fans, they are now in the K-Cup game as well.
http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/k-cup

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
We have a Keurig in our office, which is nice. Everyone can brew whatever flavor or strength they want, a cup at a time, and you don't have a pot sitting on a hot burner getting stale or burnt and you don't have to wait for a whole pot to brew. It actually saves the company money because the coffee service they use charged an outrageous rental price for the coffee makers they used to have, but the Keurig machine is provided free by the people we by the K-cups from.

I haven't taken the plunge to buy a home machine yet. Even when I have seen the machines on sale at Costco they've been around $100 or more, and the price per cup is a lot higher than buying coffee beans and grinding them yourself. But, ultimately I will probably succomb and get one if I see a good sale.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The last time I bought cups, I think it came to around 60 cents per cup, which isn't bad compared to going out to get a cup of coffee. Heck, stopping at a drive-thru or a gas station for coffee in the morning would be almost 2 bucks. Starbucks or a place like that? Fuggedaboudit.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
...and the price per cup is a lot higher than buying coffee beans and grinding them yourself. But, ultimately I will probably succomb and get one if I see a good sale.
That is definitely true. The price per cup of Keurig coffee probably averages around .65 a cup, depending on the flavor/variety. It is definitely not the cheapest price per cup for coffee by any stretch. But as mentioned above, it isn't the most expensive either. It is definitely cheaper than coffee from gas stations (about 1.50 a cup), McDonalds, Starbucks, etc. It is also cheaper than some of the other single cup options such as Starbucks Via, which also runs a buck or more a cup.

While not cheap, you do have to reconcile it with the convenience factor. It is not for everyone I am sure.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts