Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can still get Schlitz beer in Opelousas, Louisiana, haven't seen that brand for years, but when I entered Texas on Rt 12 heading toward Beaumont the posted speed for the two lane road was 70 MPH! Now that is reasonable! Most everywhere else I see 55. Hard to ride at 55
on an empty road. 495 miles today. Holed up in Beaumont.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I haven't seen Schlitz in years. When I was in college in Virginia, the drinking age for 3.2 beer (it was 3.2 per cent alcohol, also called "near beer" back then) was 18, and at the Student Union at Washington & Lee University they had 3.2 Schlitz on tap. Back then I thought that was great beer. I googled Schlitz after seeing your post, and found out it is available (not the 3.2 variety, of course) in Los Angeles--but out here in the boonies of the Inland Empire, apparently no one carries it. When in LA I'll have to pick up a six pack for old time's sake.:)

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Nice, dwr. About 1000 miles in two days. That's half an Iron Butt!

The little town in the photo reminds me of "The Last Picture Show". You see a young Cybil Shepard jumping half naked into a pool anywhere out there?

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did the old slogan go, "when you're out of Schlitz, you can get some good beer!" No? It should have :)
Ha! I was something like that. Back in the day when we were drinking under age anything would do. What ever we could get. We had some other names for it as I recall. Another one was Falstaf, or Fallflat as we called it. I don't recall buying any after I could buy legally.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice, dwr. About 1000 miles in two days. That's half an Iron Butt!

The little town in the photo reminds me of "The Last Picture Show". You see a young Cybil Shepard jumping half naked into a pool anywhere out there?
I really don't know how those Iron butt guys do it. About ten hours is my limit. And sad to say no neckid poolside action.

Tomorrow once I get past Houston I'll slow it down some.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts