Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local BMW dealership to check out the new K1300S in that new Lava orange. I must say that color is awesome!! Would love to see an option for our sprints in that color. Anyway I took the keyes to a new white k1300s or whatever they call that color (its boring) and had the sales guy slap a plate on her so I could check this new bike out. It was much smoother motor wise than our sprint...reminded me of a sewing machine the way it was sooo smooth. Anyway took her on the highway to see how she pulled...the bike definetly pulls strong....but there doesnt seem to be much emotion with this bike. I took it for about 10 miles or so....returned to the dealer....and rode my sprint st home....and learned that we ride one hell of a bike and that our bikes have alot more character than the BMW that I rode today did. All in all I didn't trade her in...as I am quite happy with the bike I chose 2 1/2 years ago. Guess she will be with me along time to come.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Once you ride a Triumph.......
I agree 100% and every magazine every website you read talks about Triumph engine character.

I have to say Triumph and the Italians know how to build bikes with emotion and personality. I know a guy who rode a 2007 Aprilia RSV 1000 Factory and just traded it on on a 09 CBR1000RR. I didn't know what to say about that. Its hard to congratulate someone on a dumb move.

·
Registered
929 Posts
LOL!

I did the same thing with the k1200S 2 yrs ago on a demo ride.

one guy demoing along side me actually had the garbonzo's to ask me "so you going to trade up?" I laughed in his face and asked him if he has ever ridden a sprint... he answered no....
rode off a few minutes later loving the usuable power of my sprint.

I must agree... the motor was great. but 170 in first gear is a joke.
no re gearing that and I don't live by the autobahn. a big fat waste.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
As much as I enjoy my Sprint, I gotta say I definitely would enjoy a K1200S, K1300S, and I am sure, the 1000RR. :eek: I have ridden the 1200 and the 1300, and sorry fellas, they are a lot more bike.

Anyone that says you can have too much power needs to stick to their mini van. :D

Before I get flamed, I am not talking about which bike will get around a certain circuit faster. Most of that is relative to the rider's skill. I am speaking strictly from the mechanical aspect.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Hence why I lust for powerful bikes. As much as I love my Bonnie I want something that just oozes power sitting beside it so I can choose.

The first thing I did to the Bonnie was get it revving like a bike should rev and gutted the airbox and put on wide open filters, no airbox and not it revs like crazy.

That BMW 1000RR is delicious, the new 675 Daytona SE is delicious and a Ducati Monster is delicious, 09 GSXR1000 oh my heck :hearts:........ must have.

1000RR:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hence why I lust for powerful bikes. As much as I love my Bonnie I want something that just oozes power sitting beside it so I can choose.

The first thing I did to the Bonnie was get it revving like a bike should rev and gutted the airbox and put on wide open filters, no airbox and not it revs like crazy.

That BMW 1000RR is delicious, the new 675 Daytona SE is delicious and a Ducati Monster is delicious, 09 GSXR1000 oh my heck :hearts:........ must have.

1000RR:
Have you seen the BMW 1000RR from the front?:eek:

That weird arsed bastard in their design office who comes out with those assymetric headlights ought to be shot for desecrating a good looking machine.:2gunsfiring_v1:

It has definitely been hit with the fugly stick.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Meh. If Corser & Xaus are getting that little out of it, I don't think the Beemer would be my pick of the liter superbikes. I'd have to go with the new Yamahammer that has character in the crank. Preferably the 2009 1/2 version, with the larger tank & beefed-up shift linkage. ;)

Seriously, I was reminded of what I like in a bike tonight at bike night. I was talking to someone as I looked over the Ducati-heavy mix with some 'prillers, a Beemer or 2, and a couple of Trumpets.

He said: "That's yours, the Triumph with the saddlebags?"
I said: "Yeah, how'd you know?"
"Every time you look over the row of bikes, you stop at that one and smile."

And here I thought I had been looking lustfully at the Desmosedici RR... :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
509 Posts
My needs are much simpler, the Sprint does exactly what I ask of it. Gets me and all my accoutrement from one place to another in comfort and style with enough power and handling to make it somewhat fun.

I had a Blackbird before this and fitted it similarly in terms of bags, modified bars and pegs, etc and just loved the power but not so much the handling and brakes.

I will be adding a 2nd bike this year as a combo track bike and general hoon mount. Right now, a Tuano is leading the list.

·
Registered
298 Posts
That weird arsed bastard in their design office who comes out with those assymetric headlights ought to be shot for desecrating a good looking machine.:2gunsfiring_v1:
What is it with BMW? I can see going ugly with the GS since it's rugged utility over function (that's part of it's "beauty"), but with the 1000RR, that's just weird! To intentionally mar an otherwise beautiful design like that makes no sense to me... I guess that's their way of adding "character", though I greatly prefer the way the Brits and Italians do it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's true that the BMW is lacking a certain "emotion" but that is certainly in keeping with the German national character. I mean no disrespect, as I am German myself.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As much as I enjoy my Sprint, I gotta say I definitely would enjoy a K1200S, K1300S, and I am sure, the 1000RR. :eek: I have ridden the 1200 and the 1300, and sorry fellas, they are a lot more bike.

Anyone that says you can have too much power needs to stick to their mini van. :D

Before I get flamed, I am not talking about which bike will get around a certain circuit faster. Most of that is relative to the rider's skill. I am speaking strictly from the mechanical aspect.
I agree with you Carl. It is alot more bike..the plastics are much better and the motor is much more powerful. What I meant was it was missing a bit of character. I summed it up best to one of my guys I work with...the k1300s is a Turbo 911....the sprint is like a GT3....you feel the motor more..if that makes sense.....the k1300s motor was just sooo smooth and effortless...where the triple you feel it....ohh and one bigggg difference....nothing sounds better than the triple...im sorry but that bmw didn't sound that impressive...granted it had a stock pipe..but also watched a guy yesterday take delivery with an aftermarket pipe...sounded better but not by much. Now there was one bike they had that definetly lit my fire..the Ducati RR at $72k...that thing sounds crazy!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Right now, a Tuano is leading the list.
Yep - I'm with you mate. I was wavering between a Tuono and a Sprint before I opted for the Sprint and that feeling of curiosity has never left me.

Trouble is, I can't afford or justify two bikes so if I get bitten by the 'v' twin bug at the weekend, it may be adios Triumph.

Cheers
Kav

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ricster rode his bike to work?????????? Whats up with that. By the way Ricster, closing on the new house tuesday. My Sprint will have an actual garage attached to the house as opposed to that shed in the yard. Won't be long till I can get out and ride

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have been jonesing for a second bike for quite some time and have "decided" on several models. So far its been a Tiger, America, Speed Triple, New Thunderbird, Daytona, Vulcan Nomad, V Strom, Bandit 1200, Buell Lightning, Hayabusa and I keep coming back to the Sprint. what can any these bikes do that the Sprint can't? I'll probably just trade in for a 2010 Sprint, Be a one bike owner and simplify life. One tax bill, one insurance bill, one bike to maintain etc. Unless Triumph has something more intersting in the pipeline. Maybe a Sprint thats a 1200cc or bigger. A return of the Trophy series. I'd wait to 2011 in that case

·
Banned
11 Posts
Agreed 100%. Having owned both, you are right on the money. There is no comparison - you get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts