Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum and although there have been a few tyre threads they don't fully answer my question.

The back tyre on my '98 TBS should be 160/70 correct?

At the moment I am running a 160/60 the feel of which I don't really like so.

1) Who runs a 160/60 and do you like dislike this setup.

2) Who runs a 160/70 and do you like dislike this setup.

3) List manufacturer make and of 160/70 tyres.

4) Anything else I missed and you want to add

As always thanks for the help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Paxtonpony
Would a 180 not be way too wide?

Are you running that at the moment and finding it a good setup?

@Wombat

That sounds like a plan maybe, what size have you got on the front?

It is second bike, so all I want it for is lots of twisties at weekend and trackdays

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
You can run up to a 180/55 tire on the back. You might think about going that direction.
A 180 is going to be too big on a 4.25 rim imo & is certainly not reccommended by any manufacturer.

My buddy with a TBS went with Metzelers (don't recall which model? Z6 maybe? ) who are one of the few to offer a 160/70 rear.

My Legend has the same rims as a TBS. I tried a 170/60 Dunlop Road Smart last time (& matching 120/70 front). I liked the excellent handling & grip (esp in the wet, exceptional). Mileage was good too ~ 7,500 miles. But the 170 is a little more difficult to fit (& remove) than a 160/60 (std size quoted for Legend) & I didn't feel the larger section offered much gain, if any. I'm now running a Pirelli Diablo Strada 160/60 on the rear with a front waiting to go on (dunlop still there). I've not noticed any difference in performance over the Roadsmart. These Dunlops, Pirellis (& Metzelers I believe) are top quality Sport Touring Tyres & are run on much higher performance bikes than ours.

I'm not sure what it is about the 160/60 that would cause any noticeable difference over a 160/70 apart from a ~ 15mm drop in height. However you could pull the forks thru' the yokes 15mm to lower the front & return the geometry to that with a 160/70. Very unlikely you'll miss any (very) slight reduction in cornering clearance. (Note the CoG also goes lower, hence less lean is needed for a given corner speed.)

Either way, just replacing tyres for new (quality) rubber should sort things out. BTW, I have found the recommended pressures to be important for good handling, 36f / 42r.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got a 160/60 on there now, no issues. I'm due for new tires before I head off to England so I'm probably going to go the 170/60 route like the other guys here. Think I'm going to go back to Shinko Raven 009's. I had those on my VFR a few years back and really liked the mileage I squeezed out of them. They do warm up a bit slow but I think they'll be a good tire for this bike. (plus they're pretty cheap)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts