Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem, a very big problem, and one that I cannot solve alone. So calling all who might be able to help.........................HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you might all know I have been revamping my Trophy, and all is done, and looking very good, even if I do say so myself. It rides well, and appears to be comfortable.

However, I also have a Honda CBR600FVwhich I have been revamping ready for my impending trip to Europe in June. As a lot of you are probably aware, the Triumph it is a much heavier bike, and top heavy to boot.

Just recently I have been suffering with aching joints on the CBR, a lot is down to old age, and so I have my concerns about covering long distances in one day. The CBR is much more fun to ride, has better brakes and is more focused on the bends. On the other hand the Triumph is more a tuned to touring, and has the secure luggage, and appears (Not done any long miles yet) more comfortable than the Honda.

Due to unforseen circumstances, I have eaten heavily into the holiday fund for Europe, so one of them has to go to pay for it. But I don't know which one.

I've tried to be logical about the decision, but failed so far, so would appreciate anyone else's thoughts on the matter. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I did have one idea. As I have a Transit, I could take both bikes in the back of the van to Europe, ride each of them every day and then decide which one to sell upon my return.
See previous threads for pics of the Trophy

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am facing a similar dilemma myself. Yes, the Trophy is top-heavy but I only notice this when moving it round the garage and at slow speed. Once rolling, I think it's stable and easy-to-manage. You'll probably get more for the Honda, I guess. The Trophy has more than enough performance for me and is fairly economical (I get 45-50mpg). Options to make it more manageable seem to be: lowering the bike, fitting a replacement seat and moving the position of the handlebars with risers (bought or custom-made).

There's no right answer to this, but bearing in mind the persuasion of this site, I'm guessing the Honda will have to make way.

·
Registered
142 Posts
what kind of riding do you do the most of? short,fast, extremely curvy riding or long distance, multi day, comfy but spirited type riding. my Trophy can still out ride me in tight curves, sure its a lot heaver than the Honda so its more work but when you get out on the long open road for a few hours, thats when it really pays off. sport bikes are fun to flick around but get cramped and feel awkward after a while. to me the Trophy (as well as any sport-tourer) are just better all around bikes to do just about anything you want it to do. thats just my opinion. besides, this is a Triumph Trophy section. which way do you expect us to lean? :cool:

·
30,527 Posts
I would ditch the CBR600 and keep the Trophy. The Trophy is going to be a much better touring bike for you, especially if your joints are suffering.

And frankly - the Trophy has a lot more class.

Yep - and easy decision in my view.

Best wishes! Hope you have a great touring holiday!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Your joking, right?
Honestly, if you have to ask, keep the Honda. Sell the Trophy to someone who will appreciate her.

Carry on!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts