Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I think there is enough blame to go around. I blame Triumph, Triumphrat.net, and my wife........all of you are co-conspirators in the effort to prevent me from finding an additional bike. My wife encouraged me to buy the Sprint nearly 2 years ago, Triumph built it, and you guys have helped me modify and learn more about it.....so, :p. Over the last few months I have been authorized by the financial powers that be (I mean my wife) to begin a search for a 2nd or new bike. Well, today I was fortunate to take a 2008 CBR 600 for a ride. Aarrrrgggh....what the heck are the magazines talking about that thing vibrates like a lawn mower. Sure the handling is precise, if you care to go very quickly with all of that wind blast. The seat is too thin, hard, and slippery. The throttle is too abrupt. The exhaust sounds like an angry gnat. There are no hard bags. There is no power outlet. Unfortunately, these are some of the same problems I have had with many of the others I have tried. Can't the others make a decent bike. The only one that even remotely lighted my fire has been a ZX-14. After the test ride today, I hopped back on the Sprint and tore around town. Now that is what a bike is supposed to be. Smooth. Responsive. AND COMFORTABLE. This is going to be very difficult. But, if I don't buy another bike I can afford a new sprocket, new helmet, new gloves, convertibars, ...............:jiggy:

·
Registered
165 Posts
why not look at the 675 daytona then?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Fly, am thinking about that. I'll be at a Triumph dealer tomorrow......but, if it is as "rough" as the other 600s then I'll pass. Maybe a Bonnie....

·
Premium Member
24,388 Posts
Red Mossy

The D 675 is very smooth and powerful providing your not a big bloke you will love it.

I did a little write up on one a couple of months ago here when I took one out for a morning long test ride, I loved it, awesome tool, but it's a bit wee for my frame.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is one of the appeals of the 600 class for me...I am a "wee" one myself. I am about 160 lbs w/a 30" inseam. So, seat height is a bit of a problem too. But I do Ok, long as I can get a foot down. The Daytona is the best looking of the bunch to me. I would just like to ride one before a purchase, so I could evaluate it for myself. I am finding that a motor that doesn't have that triple burble seems to be lacking somehow. In addition, the 675 is a bit cheaper than the other offerings. I just can't seem to get over how much everything other than the Sprint is quickly becoming disappointing. When I test rode it at Atlanta MotorWorld they said I shouldn't do so if I didn't want to fall in love.....guess they were right.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am quickly coming under the opinion that if it ain't Triumph I may be disappointed....but, I haven't tried a 'Busa yet!! How are Bonnies for vibration?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
With all my mods I have no vibes and I just got back from a ride. It didn't vibrate to begin with but I expected it to after I changed bars, exhaust and got rid of the airbox. In the end it grows like crazy and is smooth as can be for a twin.

The 360 degree motor and balance shafts help alot.

·
Registered
210 Posts
+1 on the 675. Dealer let me ride one for a day while they had my Sprint in to install heated grips. Awesomely good bike, begs to be revved, wonderful triple burble and good torque from low rpms, unlike most 600cc-class bike.

If I were in the market for a sport bike, this would be the one. Alas, too small a bike for me, but fun to ride for the day.

My wife is looking for a bike, and I'm trying to convince her that the 675 might be right for her. No ulterior motives on my part whatsoever...

Have you thought about a Speed or Street? Just sold my Speed Triple - wife said I couldn't have two bikes - and all the goodness of a new Sprint notwithstanding, I'm not sure I'm not going to regret it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still having a problem (?)

Well, Yesterday I was allowed to test ride a Honda CBR600F4i. Nice bike. Very nice 600 series motorcycle. However, it was so buzzy that my hands started hurting after about 5 min into a 45 min ride. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!! Not smooth!! Not smooth at all!!! What does Triumph know that no one else knows!?! I guess I am beginning to become under the impression that the next bike (in addition to the Sprnt) will probably be a 955i Daytona or RS. I am really falling more in love with this engine by the day. Triumph truly has spoiled me. The only thing left to test ride is a Bonnie ( of one ilk or another). Or maybe a BMW....

I cannot believe how much more ride-able the 955 is compared to nearly everything I have ridden. Low-end torque, high-end scream, with a linear throttle response that merely piles on the HP as it is twisted. No abruptness or shocks as the MPH increases. Why can't other manufacturers do that?? Well, no matter I may be a Triumph guy in all of my bike purchases. END OF RANT/RAVE.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts