Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost as much as I do Oil Threads.

But here we go. I have a couple of questions.

Why did the mothership mix bias and radial ply tires on my 2020 T120 Diamond? In my experience (50+ yrs riding) this has not been a recommended practice.

What consequences can I expect if I go all radial? Or all bias ply?

And 32psi in the front? No wonder the tire is evaporating!!

Cheers!

G

PS - to complete the topic - Oil id good. Put some in.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
I just bought a new set of Avon Storm tires. I'm waiting for the hurricane to pass to have them installed.

My front tire is worn out with about 5,500 miles. The back is still good but I wanted a matching set.

Very odd what Triumph did on this bike with the mismatch.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have a new set of Avon AM26 tires and Bridgestone tubes that just arrived. They're bias ply tires. Will let you know how they work.

The original Pirellis lasted very well, more than 10K miles, front and back. I'd characterize their handling as good, not great. They didn't inspire great confidence in the corners. They were awesome in the rain, though. They bled down had to be aired almost weekly. I'm hoping the new tubes will greatly extend that interval.

The 32 psi is the factory recommendation for a bike operated at max vehicle gross weight. I finally settled on 30 as a good compromise. I ride solo and weigh 175 all geared up. 32-34 for the rear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the Avons. I ran AM26 bias ply front & rear on both of my Guzzis. They wear like iron and handled well enough for my needs.

So for radials I'm leaning (no pun intended) towards the Avon Spirit ST and for bias ply Avon AM26 Roadrider.

I'm not impressed with the OEM Pirellis. They are way too sensitive to tar snakes. And on the bendy bits here in the Lanark County Highlands Tar Snakes, Wild Turkeys and Long Legged Forest Rats (deer) are all too common.

G

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Why did the mothership mix bias and radial ply tires on my 2020 T120 Diamond?
Because they can. Many mfgs do. They probably got a good buy on them.
Chalk "being life threatenly dangerous" to do such things up to the many motorcycle myths passed down over the decades.
Some guy in '73 probably wrecked and rather than take the blame, he proposed that his mismatched tires caused it. And while bike makers sell them like this everyday, the myth persists...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I just bought a new set of Avon Storm tires. I'm waiting for the hurricane to pass to have them installed.

My front tire is worn out with about 5,500 miles. The back is still good but I wanted a matching set.

Very odd what Triumph did on this bike with the mismatch.
+1 on the Storms. Have them on my T120. Huge difference. Bike tips in much faster than with the OEM 2x4’s, err, “tires”. Also got rid of the wobble I had. Much, much better!

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I liked the Avon Storm's for handling over the stock Pirelli's. They did turn in quicker but I believe it was due to the fact that their profiles prompt that; the Pirelli's are less tapered.

The Avon's only lasted 6500 miles, the same as the Pirelli's. They also had a distinct wobble in low speed tight turns after they cupped around 6000 miles. I have replaced them with Avon Spirit ST's but don't expect them to wear any longer. It is what it is.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
I had the dealer put the new Avon Storms on my T120 this past Saturday. I noticed immediately that the bike handled better, especially going into a turn. (I never thought it handled bad to begin with though.)

My only experience with them so far was riding home the 20 miles from the dealer and I want to take it bit easy for the first 50 miles or so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is my two-cent contribution to the tire discussion. Finally replaced the OEM tires after 81oo miles. Replaced with Dunlop Roadsmart III radials: F110/80-18 front tire and R150/70-17 rear tire. Both are one size different from stock. No clearance on issues stock rims. Speedometer error less that one MPH are legal freeway speeds. These tires want to lean down in the corners and go fast. Stick like crazy glue. Haven't pushed them to far yet, as they have less than 200 miles on them. Steering is a bit heavier due to the marginally larger footprint. Ride quality improved over OEM tires. My overall impression is positive. The pics only give a general impression of how well the tires fit. They also make a nice visual upgrade when seen in person. Radials front and rear seem to be a definite upgrade.

*First pic are the OEM Metzlers.
*Second and third pics are the new Dunlop Roadsmart III's.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I upgraded from OEM Metzler rubber on my 2016 Thruxton 900 to a pair of Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs as well, 160/60-17 rear and 110/80-18 front.

And the difference is night and day when riding the large "pebblely" asphalt common on rural roads in north Texas, my take is that the increase in tire size has more to to do with it then the tire brand and tread pattern. As for wear, I;m only a 1,000 miles in.

I now wish I would have done this the day I bought the bike.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Pirelli Angel GTs working well on my Thruxton. Also over sized slightly. Softer ride for the atrocious Michigan roads is nice too. Some wear after one and half seasons of summer riding of about 5,000 miles. Much improved over original wooden Metzelers, admittedly with about 7- 8,000 miles on them.

Need to close remain to (within 2 to 3 lbs) of manufacturer's spec tire pressures, or handling will be impacted adversely.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Teehee!

No worries.

I ran the AM26 tires on both of my Guzzis. They are a heavier bike than the Bonnie (by 200lbs!) and the Avons gave me outstanding mileage and handled very well - predictable and confidence inspiring in the wet; they ignore tar snakes and on dry pavement in the bendy bits they worked very well.

I am anticipating similar characteristics when I put them on the T120 - for the start of next season.

Cheers!

G

1 - 20 of 32 Posts