Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new bike also and i am very impressed with this bike. It is a 2005 650 with 6k miles. This thing feels like a feather compared to my 95 triple and seems twice as fast. It has a leo vince sbk exhaust on it which sounds awesome. It was laid over and has a little cosmetic damage under where the oil filter is, other than that it is in great condition. The inspection ran out and the front brakes look a little worn, hopefully i wouln't find any other surprises when i take it to get inspected. I'd like to also say i got a pretty good deal on it. Paid about $4350. I just wish it was warmer out now so i could enjoy riding it more. I have a few questions about what type of oil to run in this. Would it be a good decision to run full synthetic oil in this or semi-synthetic? Also, if i replace the air filter with a k&n will the engine run lean? And will i need a powercommander to tune it?

·
Registered
172 Posts
congrats on the 650 - you will love the power :D. as for oil, i like to run the Triumph Mobile 1 Race 4T, but any synthetic motorcycle oil will be better than blended or full dino oil. i like the k&n oil filter too as it is a great filter, a couple of bucks cheaper that the Triumph filter and it has an actual hex head mounted on the front for easy removal. as for the K&N air filter, that will throw things off a bit, but i would say not any more than has already been done with the Leo Vinche pipe you are running. while not cheap, a PC or tuneboy and dyno time is worth the money IMHO as you will get the most out of your bike and you have the peace of mind knowing exactly what your bike is doing.
jeff h

·
Registered
459 Posts
Congrats you got the fastest colour. Loving the can and the Valmoto nose cowl.

I've just picked up a D6 2004 plate in Yellow with 2300 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I am thinking about getting a new exhaust can for my S4 & have it narrowed down to the LV-SBK or Trident oval CF...does your LV-SBK have the baffle in or out?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Run full synth, that's what Triumph recommends. you can change out the air filter without any remap. I got my PC III on ebay for $125 (new), so just keep checking and those $250 to $325 prices will drop. The PC III helped a bit with the abrupt on/off at the throttle, and also gave it a better torque curve. It helped a little, so it's only worth a little IMHO. If you know what you're doing when you go about remapping your bike then it's worth a bit more obviously, but I just use the tune it came with and it seems to be pretty good. But since you have an after market pipe and are putting in an after market air filter it might serve you better to get a PC III so you can map the bike with the add ons.

The D650 and the D600's handle very well. They weren't that far down from the Japanese bikes when they came out, nothing that you could notice unless you were on a track. I've had issues with mine, that have put me off a bit, but when it's running, it's a fun bike and more bike than I'll ever need on the street. Enjoy.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Congratulatioins on the new Triumph. It certainly is a looker. I love the smoke screen with the British flag.

Ride safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts