Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Emerald green Thruxton that some older gentleman had turned into a touring machine. It had the ugliest bran door I had ever seen. It could be used as a riot shield in a pinch. She also had ABM triple clamp for tube bars. Unfortunately a Rox riser was also included. I pulled out 5lbs of extra wiring. This codger had a GPS, heated grips, some telephone cord gadget, and a hook up for heated gear. There were something like 5 extra fuse blocks all hodgepodge together. There were some good things though. It has nice aftermarket rear shocks and some adjustable cartridge set up up front. A skid plate and sliders are good. Rizoma adjustable peg set up seems nice. I also like the c-bow racks the bike has. The gearing has been changed to a 37 tooth rear sprocket. Its like having extra gears. This might need to be converted back. I got a good deal on the bike as it sat at the dealer for 3 months. Anyway she is my third Triumph. I have a Tiger, a Trouphy, and now the Thruxton. Here are the before and after shots. I still have some work to do but big improvements have been made.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like you got a great bike to work with. Remember one day if your lucky you'll get old and somebody might think the same thing.

Good luck on your mods...look forward to seeing them.
I feel in love with the bikes potential. I am getting older but only by luck and the grace of god. I Prey I have a sense of humor at the my future old fart ways and how the youth responds to them. My barely younger friends already pick on my foibles so I have a good start.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heated grips and a hook up for heated gear can make a cold ride completely bearable, even if you're not a "codger."
I’m in San Diego most days are nice. I left the heated gear hook up. The grips were an abomination. If I can find some proper ones I’ll add them

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The genuine Triumph ones look good and communicate with the digital display.
I will have to see if speed twin version will work. My Thruxton has tube bars now so I doubt the wires would be long enough for Thruxton heated grips. It should work

·
Registered
44 Posts
I found a Emerald green Thruxton that some older gentleman had turned into a touring machine. It had the ugliest bran door I had ever seen. It could be used as a riot shield in a pinch. She also had ABM triple clamp for tube bars. Unfortunately a Rox riser was also included. I pulled out 5lbs of extra wiring. This codger had a GPS, heated grips, some telephone cord gadget, and a hook up for heated gear. There were something like 5 extra fuse blocks all hodgepodge together. There were some good things though. It has nice aftermarket rear shocks and some adjustable cartridge set up up front. A skid plate and sliders are good. Rizoma adjustable peg set up seems nice. I also like the c-bow racks the bike has. The gearing has been changed to a 37 tooth rear sprocket. Its like having extra gears. This might need to be converted back. I got a good deal on the bike as it sat at the dealer for 3 months. Anyway she is my third Triumph. I have a Tiger, a Trouphy, and now the Thruxton. Here are the before and after shots. I still have some work to do but big improvements have been made.
That shield was awesome.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do you still have the Bobber. if you do it's going to make life hard trying to decide which one to ride when you head out to the bikes in the morning. Before I retired I had 3 bikes and often come home for lunch just to change bikes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you still have the Bobber. if you do it's going to make life hard trying to decide which one to ride when you head out to the bikes in the morning. Before I retired I had 3 bikes and often come home for lunch just to change bikes.
No I sold the bobber. I have a Tiger, & a trophy though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Still a morning of choices😀, wish I still had room for more bikes but the director of finance (AKA wife) says she wants to park the cars in the garage. Something about not wanting to scrape the snow and ice off.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Uuuh, reminds me of when I tried to turn my SV650 into a touring bike. After a shield, bags, heated whatever, I threw in the towel and just swapped it for a VFR800. Much better being on a machine designed for the purpose you use it for.

This time around, I was smarter, and just added a Tiger XRT to my Thruxton, and use that for going far/lugging crap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
found the former owner on this forum. Seems like a good guy. He gave me some good info on the bike and the mods. He may have bad taste but the work on the bike was well done and not hacked. I put a 42 tooth rear sprocket on the rear so almost back to stock gearing. It’s now 17/42. It was 17/37. It worked pretty good but it was extreme. 17/42 returns the grunt and still lowers the rpm at cruising speeds. It also has the tubeless wheel mod and meerkat x-pipe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts