Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for almost 15 years a I finally went down. The bike held up very well considering that I was doing around 65 mph. It didn't impact anything and slide off the road into the grass and came to a stop. The frame sliders really did their job. I am very impressed by them. I broke my ankle, had a severe concussion and a cut that required 16 stitches to close. I only remember bits a pieces but the bike was way down the road. After I got to it and picked it up, turned it off and on and it started. So i got on it and rode it the 15 min or so home with the throttle sticking and no rear brake. Probably shouldn't of done that but I was severely concussed. though the Scorpion EXO helmet did an amazing job.Then I got into my truck and drove myself to the hospital. I do remember the nurses faces when I walked into the emergency room. Needless to say I was taken right back.

Question is, where can I find a decently priced new or used parts? I need a new engine cover, new rear sets. and probably new handle bars and the throttle grip. The rest of the damage is cosmetic. The tail on the left side is missing too but I can worry about that later.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about this, but glad to hear that you made it out alive. We have all been there. Get better soon.

Where do you live? And what year do you have?

As for parts, you can look at Ebay and specifically Imperial parts.

Also, I will reach you offline.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I uploaded some pictures of the bike. I am impressed it took the accident so well. The frame slider ground almost all the way down. I live in Florida in the US. I thought I had full coverage but everything was covered but an accident...including theft or acts of nature. I've been looking around on ebay but parts seem hard to find.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention it's an 2007

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Oh OK, not too bad. I don't have that side cover available but they come up on ebay regularly. I'd do a search and save it for future. I've got a bar and an aftermarket exhaust too. We'd have to discuss offline

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sorry to hear about this mate, fair play for getting the bike home and driving yourself to hospital with your injuries. You must've been riding a hell of an adrenaline hit!

I hope you heal soon and can repair your bike cheaply. I got nearly everything off ebay when I crashed earlier this year.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry to read about your crash. It's fortunate you were not too badly injured, considering the speed. I hope you are mending OK. I had a crash 14 months ago at similar speed, but I was lucky to come away with just a broken rib. My '05 Daytona 955i wrecked everything on the left side: alternator rotor, stator, cover, fairing, mirror, indicator, bar end, clutch lever, gear lever, rider and pillion hangers, footrests, rear axle, nut, cush drive etc etc. The bike had 101000km on it, and should have been written off, but I love the Daytona and spent about what the bike had been worth on parts to fix it.
The only advice I can add is not to limit your parts search to Ebay. Search your part numbers (including alternate numbers) on Google. You may get Google hits on your parts on Ebay in other countries, that you wouldn't see on ebay.com. Or from companies advertising outside Ebay. I got my rotor on Ebay.de (Germany, in German), fairing panel from Georgia, USA (but it was on ebay.ie, Ireland, not ebay.com). I got other parts and tools (rotor pulling tool) from UK, New Zealand, Australia. The only new parts were the left mirror, used only on '04-'06 Daytona, no good used ones available. And a new stator after a used one (looked perfect, measured OK, charged OK initially) failed in the first 15 minutes of riding. It took 3 months to find and receive all the parts and get the bike back on the road. 7000km later it looks and goes great, I'm glad I fixed it.
IanB

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a clutch cover like yours in my garage. I bought it from the UK to get the puller shaft with the longest lever arm, of the different ones that came with 955/1050. The cover is yours, if you want it, but it's here in Australia. They don't seem hard to get.
My Daytona came with frame sliders when I bought it in 2009. I took them off immediately and replaced them with the standard engine mount bolts, my reason being that if your bike is sliding along and the slider hits something immovable, you break both your frame and your cylinder head. As it turned out, the left bar end ground away, doing the job of the slider, and even with a slider, I think the alternator would still have sustained heavy damage, as your clutch cover did. At the back, the pillion footrest hanger kept the body off the ground.
In your case the slider worked brilliantly. Maybe I'll look in the garage for the ones I took off mine!
IanB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds nasty, hope you are almost back to fighting fit by now. I only have a few 955 bits otherwise I'd be happy to help.

Crash bungs are now a top priority, after getting the damn thing to work properly.

All the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts