Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I admit I didn't search for days for the best price on a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's about the best price I found was at motorcycle superstore, $171 & $134 for the rear and front, before shipping.

I decided to check out the big local shops website (Yamaha dealer)
and he had them listed at about $47 higher for each tire. I called them and asked the woman who answered if their web prices reflected the store price and she said yes.
I told her I was local and was hoping to find a deal around here and not have to buy off the net so she patched me over to the parts guy.
I told him what MCSS wanted for each tire and he said "give me a few minutes and I'll call you back."
He came back with $158 rear and $123 front and $40 each to mount and balance.
$361 ready to slap back on the bike, that ain't too shabby is it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep, that's a deal. MotoXoutlet has them cheaper per tire than MCSS, but then you have to have them mounted.

·
Banned
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ron Ayers had good prices @ $155 for the rear but all I could seem to find were the Roads.

That's the way I was looking at it, didn't check the ship cost but figured at least 15 bucks a tire plus having to get them mounted. Was looking at over $400 by the time I got done.
MCSS shows free ship for over $75 bucks but it unfortunately it excludes tires. :)

I've got everything sorted out for removal and install with the exception of a torque wrench that goes over 100 ft-lbs but I called the mechanic a mile up the road from me and he said bring 'er up, he'll put the snot to the rear. Should have it all buttoned up by Thursday.

The only other problem is having relatives coming to visit Wednesday and Thursday. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1 on nbf6169-

I've been buying my tires at www.motoxoutlet.com for a while...

We're down to two dealerships here, and they both ask top dollar (plus tip) for rubber.
They do have pretty good prices aaaannnnd they are now bookmarked!

I only got 6600 miles out of the BStones that came on the bike so at that rate I am going to eventually get all the hardware I need to mount my own.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Thats a hell of a deal, and your supporting local shops which I love. Small Local shop to me said that they only get about 10% on a tire while local big guys get at least 50%.

·
Banned
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If he can cut 30 percent off his web price, beat the web, save me money and still make money I am in the wrong business. :D
Although the way things are I guess we all have to do what we have to do to survive eh?

I always try to support the local dealers but honestly sometimes it's cheaper to pay shipping and get it off the net because 97% of the time they don't have it in stock and are going to order it and mark it up anyway.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would love to support the local shop, but I mount my own tires and they just can not beat that price. I think the hr it take me to do, (from start to drive off) is worth the $80 I pay to have them put on the wheel. (I still have to take them off the bike to get that deal)

·
Banned
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would love to support the local shop, but I mount my own tires and they just can not beat that price. I think the hr it take me to do, (from start to drive off) is worth the $80 I pay to have them put on the wheel. (I still have to take them off the bike to get that deal)
I hear ya, the time before when I was at the T shop the mech told me they raised their hourly to $75.
Said rear was a breeze to remove but front would take longer, so in my mind a buck and a half just to have dealer remove and remount the rims, I don't think so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently bought a front (Conti Road Attack) from JC Whitney. Unlike the Motorcylcle Superstore, free shipping meant free shipping--tires weren't excepted.

Sasha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts