Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Has the fact that their are a couple of versions of the cruise control kit available (Daytime Running Light or Non daytime running lights) got anything to do with the problem?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
No, I'm pretty confident that the P1576 error is solely due to my situation. I'll post up if I keep getting it.

I believe that either DRL version should have no bearing whatsoever on adding CC. Those are lighting circuits and should have nothing to do with CC.

One thing I'll add for anybody thinking of doing this. In Bobber101's initial cc activation steps, #2 "Kill switch on Run". I think it would be better to say, "Activate kill switch from run to kill and back to run.". The system wants to see that switch, and I initially just left it in "run", which wouldn't allow complete programming. I was stumped for a while there..

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
This is a fascinating thread. Any chance a step-by-step tutorial could be posted? I for one am not familiar with TuneECU or reflashing in general, so inclusion of that process would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Yeah Frankie, a step by step outline from turning on the laptop, hooking up the cable and all the way to the end of the process would be nice. A glossary would be handy too, as well. Folks start throwing around terms and abbreviations that they know the meaning of very well, and just seem to assume that everyone else understands. I understand some of it but not enough to take this on, though I'd sure like to. I ordered the momentary $9 switch today.

Does this TuneECU work with a Windows laptop and a 2018 T120?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Does this TuneECU work with a Windows laptop and a 2018 T120?
No, you need an Android device and a Bluetooth adaptor., OBDlink LX or MX.

Reactions: Roadworthy

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I believe that either DRL version should have no bearing whatsoever on adding CC. Those are lighting circuits and should have nothing to do with CC.
Right. The left switch plates are of course different for DRL and non-DRL models. Triumphs CC kit replaces the switch plate, along with the clutch lever housing.

Tahtye modified the original switch plate and retained the OE clutch lever housing, which works fine with CC. I gotta wonder why Triumph's kit replaces both.

I do know that when I tried to replace my T120's original clutch and brake levers with their long lever kit, CC would no longer work. I had to go back to the OE levers.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
At this point, I am not planning on doing a tutorial, sorry. I'll be glad to answer any specific questions though. A lot of answers can be found using the "Search Community" at the top of this page or Google. That is what I do.

In addition to knowing how to load maps (4 months ago I had never used TuneECU or an Android device), one needs to know how to strip and splice wires, and also be able to "run" wires from point A to B. Knowledge of basic electricity is recommended.

I'd recommend to anyone considering doing this to become fully comfortable with what you are trying to accomplish before you start. In theory it isn't difficult. In actual practice it may be more difficult than you think. I would take the headlight apart and inspect it to ensure you know what wires to tap (post 28). I removed all of the switches in the switch housing and put it in my vice before drilling the 1/2" hole. Study how the wires run from switch to headlight and decide how you're going to do it. I didn't have a guide to follow but I knew what I wanted to do. Be honest with yourself in evaluating your abilities.

This is a valuable source for exploded parts diagrams... #Bikes

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you've got DRL switchgear, you really need to mount the button elsewhere - this is my solution:

That's a 20mm spacer and M6x40 bolt, and I made the bracket with holes 25mm (1") centre to centre. Still waiting for the Scotchlocks so I can finish off the wiring.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
At this point, I am not planning on doing a tutorial, sorry. I'll be glad to answer any specific questions though. A lot of answers can be found using the "Search Community" at the top of this page or Google. That is what I do.

In addition to knowing how to load maps (4 months ago I had never used TuneECU or an Android device), one needs to know how to strip and splice wires, and also be able to "run" wires from point A to B. Knowledge of basic electricity is recommended.

I'd recommend to anyone considering doing this to become fully comfortable with what you are trying to accomplish before you start. In theory it isn't difficult. In actual practice it may be more difficult than you think. I would take the headlight apart and inspect it to ensure you know what wires to tap (post 28). I removed all of the switches in the switch housing and put it in my vice before drilling the 1/2" hole. Study how the wires run from switch to headlight and decide how you're going to do it. I didn't have a guide to follow but I knew what I wanted to do. Be honest with yourself in evaluating your abilities.

This is a valuable source for exploded parts diagrams... #Bikes
Good advice(y)
Full tutorial can be difficult because you've no idea about people's general skill level or knowledge, and you don't want to feel responsible for other people's cock ups.
A full idiot proof step-by-step guide in minute detail can be a PITA.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Good advice(y)
Full tutorial can be difficult because you've no idea about people's general skill level or knowledge, and you don't want to feel responsible for other people's cock ups.
A full idiot proof step-by-step guide in minute detail can be a PITA.
True.
The information submitted thus far is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
69 Posts
As far as the Tuneecu part of this goes there's already a very thorough and detailed tutorial on the Tuneecu forum site. It's provided by the developer of the app and is all you need. I had the tutorial open on an iPad and used an Android tablet for the map upload. Critical with Tuneecu is you need the correct kit. It doesn't work with Windows or OS, only Android. It needs an OBDlink LX or MX bluetooth dongle. That's it, doesn't work with anything else so don't ask. The process is a little nerve-wracking but not difficult. As for the switch, it's two wires, will take some figuring, again not difficult with patience and study.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
a great post + surely having info + tools does NOT guarantee results! as noted seemingly simple skills vary a LOT + those lacking are best to get help!!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
As far as the Tuneecu part of this goes there's already a very thorough and detailed tutorial on the Tuneecu forum site. It's provided by the developer of the app and is all you need. I had the tutorial open on an iPad and used an Android tablet for the map upload. Critical with Tuneecu is you need the correct kit. It doesn't work with Windows or OS, only Android. It needs an OBD LX or MX bluetooth dongle. That's it, doesn't work with anything else so don't ask. The process is a little nerve-wracking but not difficult. As for the switch, it's two wires, will take some figuring, again not difficult with patience and study.
I can do the wiring and switch, no problem.
It's the rest of it that I have trouble with.

Thanks for the tech info!
Very clear!

·
Registered
69 Posts
1) tuneecu.boards.net
2) Home
3) How to
4) Summary of how-tos from Alain
5) Basics Android version pdf

Latest version of Tuneecu app can be downloaded from Google Play store.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
i bought but never used my cable on my traded air cooled bonnie, not very geeky but i guess i could learn, but having a basic flip phone thats more to buy. not a fan of todays tech but its here to stay like it or NOT!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Did anybody take a look at the Speed Twin wiring diagram, and compare it to the T120 and Thruxton?

41 - 60 of 115 Posts