Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about a fellow member (@Bobber101) who successfully loaded a TuneECU map to enable his Bobber’s CC.

I looked at my wiring diagram and noticed the switch is normally open, and needs a momentary ‘on’ action. I found this one.

Amazon.com: URTONE Momentary Push Button Switch, UR123, 1NO SPST DC/AC 36V 2A Aluminum Alloy Metal Shell Suitable for 12mm 1/2" Mounting Hole - Black: Automotive

The secret to my success is @TheDivaDanielle !! Since I already had a DNK tune installed, I needed the CC function enabled within my map. I asked her if she could do what I wanted and she obliged with a new map within minutes. She’s the greatest...!!

I installed the switch, ran two wires thru the existing rubber ‘conduit’ to the headlight, and spliced into the wires indicated in the diagram. and Voila… cruise control now works.

Here is the new cc button,

Inside of switch housing

This is where I made the connections

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Great bit of DIY, just shows that there's nothing special to the Triumph cruise control replacement switchgear.

The Cruise control maps are available on TuneECU for anybody to download, if you already have a remap you can copy and paste your fuelling and ignition tables into the cruise control version, but it's good service that Danielle did it for you, it's a shame there isn't one for the Thruxton or I would do this mod myself if only to give my right arm a rest now and again.
I'm not entirely sure why they had to make a separate cruise control map and didn't just included in the standard one, surely it would just be inactive anyway if the switch isn't connected, same as the quick shifter function on the Thruxton.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CafRacer, I only began using TuneECU last Feb., so I'm admittedly a rookie. I really haven't explored modifying maps yet. I only thought of doing this after I read Bobber101's post a few days ago.

The important thing to note is this: All that is required to make CC work is the proper switch wired correctly, along with the ECU update for CC.

Once the ECU is enabled for CC, it wants you to complete the install by following the initiation steps. There's a flashing green icon on the tach once the ignition is turned on. This doesn't go out until "programming" is completed or you start the engine.

I think the main reason Triumph didn't include it "as standard" is so they could charge us $395 for a new switchcube and the additional programming...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Great job! Will it turn off cruise using brakes, clutch, or off throttle the way you have set it up?

Chuck

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi and thanks Chuck, I haven't actually ridden it yet. I believe you are correct in that those 4 things will disable CC. I'll find out today.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Excellent! Button looks really good, too. I'm curious to know if you have CC instrument indications, like the little speedo icon on the right instrument face and the green active light.

Five actions should turn cruise off. They are: closing the throttle past the stop; opening the throttle past the current position for the speed you're going; turning on a brake light with toe or hand levers; or actuating the clutch lever.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I shouldn't have opened my big mouth so soon !! (n)

I tried it and it wouldn't set. Once I got above 19mph, I hit the cc button and the speedo icon appears in the tach window, but when I hit it again to set the speed, it doesn't activate. No green "on" light.

After I did the initial step by step, and the flashing green light went off, and then the speedo icon appeared I thought I had it. At least according to Bobber101's post.

Are there any other steps I may have missed in order to initiate CC?

Thx..

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I think it may only be active in the higher gears as well, I'm betting it's still going to work. (y)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Instructions say between 19 - 100mph and 3rd or greater so that was covered. (y)

Tried to reload initial map, then new map again. Still no joy.. yet.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm in the middle of doing mine - as I have DRL switchgear, I can't do that neat button installation so I've had to make up a bracket. The button will get some heatshrink once installed. I'm using the terminal pins part number JST SWPT-001T-025, which can be hunted down on Ebay, rather than wire splicing.

As the weather is somewhat inclement and there's not room in the garage to work on the bike, it's going to be a day or two before I can finish it off.

·
Registered
310 Posts
There was a break in the weather, so I thought I'd at least unplug the connector and remove the blanking pieces. So much for that idea - the blanking pieces don't want to come out. I think I'll get the switchgear off and work on it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wiring splice could be improved, wouldn't trust it as it is. Certain this will work, don't give up.
I did solder the connections after that picture. I figure if it wasn't wired correctly, I wouldn't have been successful in the initiation process. Nor would I get the CC icon in the window. Obviously something is wrong though and I hope I can find it.

I'm thinking of loading in the original TuneECU map without any changes and see what happens.

·
Registered
310 Posts
They're too small for me to want messing up the connector block. I did think of removing all the pins and getting another block but they don't want to come out so I've ordered some Scotchlocks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I shouldn't have opened my big mouth so soon !! (n)

I tried it and it wouldn't set. Once I got above 19mph, I hit the cc button and the speedo icon appears in the tach window, but when I hit it again to set the speed, it doesn't activate. No green "on" light.

After I did the initial step by step, and the flashing green light went off, and then the speedo icon appeared I thought I had it. At least according to Bobber101's post.

Are there any other steps I may have missed in order to initiate CC?

Thx..
I dont think you hit the button twice. On mine I have to press and hold the button for maybe half a second for it to engage.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts