Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Story (ignore if too long):

Took a ride from LA to PCH and expected to do a 100 mile round trip. On the way back there was an unfortunate bus running into bicyclist accident, so they shut down PCH and I had to take a huge detour back.

So I'm on the 101 S in bad traffic and, as I'm coming to a particular stop, I don't know what came over me, but my bike wouldn't completely stop for me as I was trying to. I had plenty of time as I was aware I had a passenger. My mind's telling me "what in the world is going on? Why aren't you stopping?" I slam the front brakes and down she goes. Luckily my passenger jumped off and she was fine. I stand there dumbfounded for about 5 minutes trying to think about what happened. And, I think, for some reason I failed to pull in my clutch all the way. That would explain why the bike kept wanting to go. Perhaps it was mental fatigue... I'm not sure. It was a total brain fart. Next and every time I'll be pulling that clutch in ALL THE WAY.

Sorry, I had to just let this out. I'm frustrated but grateful the damage wasn't any worse.

Question:

My bike laid down slowly on the left side. I noticed only scrapings on my left clutch cover and surprisingly nothing else. Is there anything else I should be looking out for? Also, is there any solution to mitigating the blemish on my engine cover?

Updated with photos:

·
Registered
350 Posts
firstblud, first and foremost I'm glad you and your passenger are both OK. Secondly I think each and every motorcycle dealer should have a "bike drop" safety section where we can all perform a controlled bike drop, and get it over with. It's inevitable, we're all gonna dump our bikes sooner or later. I dumped mine in the driveway. I was leaning her over on its stand, damn! what stand?... Once she got passed that horrible threshold it was the point of no return. I tried to lay her down as easy as possible. Suffered a scrapped bar end, a broken shifter peg and a "smooth" scrape on the clutch cover from where the shifter hit up against. Had her checked and fixed ASAP. The only thing left now is that scrape in the clutch cover. Hopefully I can one day score a nice used one. I think you're gonna have to do the same also, have her mechanically checked out as well, you never know... By the way, what part of LA are you in. I'm in Whittier. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Check that the gears still change smoothly (I guess they probably do if you rode the bike away?) as some people have experienced a bent selector shaft if the bike has been down on that side. Other than that you're probably good to go.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
I bent the gear shift selector shaft twice. It's meant to give easily as it save the transmission from damage. Do as PAAS recommends and ensure she's shifting smoothly.

·
Registered
781 Posts
dropped my scrambler in the driveway the other day..i pulled in nice and smooth..went to get off and forgot to put the kick stand down..it laid right down...slow and steady....i scooped it up and noticed the clutch hand lever was pretty bent..but it still worked...i went to push it back into place and it snapped right off...i am glad i checked it cos if that would have happened on the road it may have been kinda ugly....my point is..check anything that hit the ground for possible cracks....i got a new lever from my dealer...swapped it out in about 15 mins and now i am good to go...

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Check your foot pegs.
Take them off and check for cracks.
I hear people who say their pegs snapped off while riding for no good reason.
Then they remember that they dropped their bike a couple years ago and finally gave way.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had bent clutch lever (broke when straightening), score in clutch cover, scratched back of mirror, and bent headlight bracket. I still can't figure out the bent bracket as there was no damage to the turn signal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check that the gears still change smoothly (I guess they probably do if you rode the bike away?) as some people have experienced a bent selector shaft if the bike has been down on that side. Other than that you're probably good to go.
The shifting seemed to have no problems. I rode the remaining 40 miles fine.

I took some photos and updated the original post. Noticed my turn signal was cracked. Can anyone with more experienced eyes notice anything? I notice there's a gash on the clutch cover, right above the shift lever, which leads me to believe that the shift lever got pushed into it, but it seems pretty firm right now and fine.

Also, the pegs look fine I think - or do I have to remove it to check for something else?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Respectfully, you seem to be obsessing over infitesibly small stuff.

IMO, your damage to the indicator lamp and engine covers appears minimal and at best barely cosmetic. If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it. Other than keeping a bike locked away in a bedroom, lounge or museum, bikes are to be ridden and will accumulate cuts, scrapes and various degrees of road-rash along the way. It is after all the nature of things. Just be happy that you were not hurt or that the bike did not sustain costly physical or mechanical damage -- although that is what insurance cover is for :)

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Really easy to fix the scrap on the clutch cover...

1 - Remove Shifter and Clutch Cable Bracket.
2 - Apply paint stripper to cover.
3 - Wipe off stripped clear coat.
4 - Apply 2d helping of stripper to get remaining clear off.
5 - Use Wet/Dry Sand Paper to sand scratches* out (depth of scratch will dictate grid of sand paper)
6 - Use progressively finer sandpaper to blend in.
7 - Finish with Scotch Brite pad to get brushed look.
8 - Use worn Scotch Brite pad and Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish to polish.
9 - Wipe and buff polish off of clutch cover.
10 - Reinstall Shifter & Clutch Cable Bracket.

* sand with "grain" of cover.

Done!

Had to do this to my Right Side Engine Cover.

·
Banned
390 Posts
Wear the marks with PRIDE! They sting to look at for awhile but soon you will see them as a permanent part of the bike and be glad you left it alone.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
You can "mitigate" with careful wetsanding. It won't be perfect because (I believe) your finish is brushed aluminum with a laquer coating. I think clutch covers are 3 or 4 hundred from Triumph. Maybe you'll get lucky on ebay. That's where I'd start.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

5 - Use Wet/Dry Sand Paper to sand scratches* out (depth of scratch will dictate grid of sand paper)

Done!

I have a memory of 2 weeks from last winter that says this is NOT easy.:D Taking it one step further after you've wetsanded from 220 grit, alternating directions with 7 different grades right up to 1500grit, followed by polishing on a bench grinder with a buffing wheel and polishing compound...then you'll have polished aluminum, but you won't have what's on your bike right now, which is brushed aluminum with a laquer coating.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
followed by polishing on a bench grinder with a buffing wheel and polishing compound...then you'll have polished aluminum, but you won't have what's on your bike right now, which is brushed aluminum with a laquer coating.
That is why you don't "polish" it... your final "sanding" is with a Scotch Brite pad. This leaves a brushed finish.... you use the Mothers Mag & Scotch Brite to "polish" (really protect more then polish) the Aluminium. I did mine and it is almost a perfect match to the parts that are not.

It took me maybe 3 hours or so.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That cover is definitely too scraped up to continue using. So after you get a new one, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. :)

Chris

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I just would second the foot peg caution. One of these days you will want to stand up on these and you wouldn't want to really hurt yourself.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts

Done!

What he said.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts