Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I rode all thru the TX hills today. About six hours in all. Well, along the route we stopped for gas. I'm so freakin used to filling up at my usual stops around town, that I guess I was blindly relying on the nozzle shut off to let me know when my tank was almost full. Just when I turned around to look at the pump... sploosh, out the top. :evil:

I estimate a good liter of gas overflowed my tank and ran all down my engine. And I've always been so anal in the past about it. Anyway, I hosed down my tank, the underside of my tank bag and everything else that was covered in gas. We split off in time for me to get home and give her a good soapy wash and dry, just before it got dark. :)

All's well that ends well. :-D

·
Registered
495 Posts
I prefer my Rosie to douche regularly. Nothing I hate more than not cleaning up from top to bottom. Guessing I have overfilled atleast 4 times now. Getting to point where I automatically look for the window wash bucket before I begin to fuel. The good news is that she has yet to explode.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
One more thing to watch for is stepping on the gas pump hose while the nozzle is in the tank.The Bonnie tank will cave in like a soda can and leave the filler cap looking all cattywampus until you get home and gently un cave it with the wooden handle of a wire brush. :mad:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
You guys put the nozzle in the tank and let the fuel flow hands free? I've only done this with my cars, never with the bikes.

Where were you guys riding road_dog? What a great weekend for being out. I've had too many family and home related issues to spend any time on the bike this holiday, but did give some thought to running the 33xs this weekend. Maybe in December...

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 2006-11-26 11:59, whoa wrote:
You guys put the nozzle in the tank and let the fuel flow hands free?
No, I actually hold onto the nozzle. I don't want to do something similar to what rodburner seems to have done. It's just so hard to see thru the little hole in the bottom of that stupid neck that's in there. I used to rely on the shut off to let me know it was near the top. No mas!

We had to go to North Austin so I could stop at Lone Star. From there we came back South on Mopac and took 290 West thru Dripping Springs, over to Blanco, back to Wimberely. We went over and back the 'Devil's Backbone'. Then San Marcos to New Braunfels and home (Seguin). Around 200 miles for the days total.

We stopped about 2pm and had some good brisket, ribs and jalapeno sausage in Dripping Springs, mmm mmm... Rileys I think it was. Man were the Harley riders all out yesterday. Going thru Wimberely, then on towards San Marcos, we let a parade of about a dozen riders.

Other than the douche incident, we had a blast. My buddy was riding his '80 Kawi Z1000. I haven't had that much fun riding, since probably that old bike was brand new. I'll do the hill country ride again any time the weather's nice and I'm not at 'stinky ol' work'. I haven't made it out to Luckenbach on this bike yet. Sure been wanting to go though. What do ya think whoa?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I just rode the Austin to Dripping Springs to Wimberly and Blanco route today. I even ran into JC from Lone Star in Wimberly riding with his dad.

Nice weather, cool front coming in and a little windy and cloudy.

The Devil's backbone is a good ride.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rode out to my son-in-law's house near Lake McQueeny and we did the old Gruene/River Road/Canyon Lake ride this afternoon. Heck, I figured it might be the last chance I'd get to invite him ridin for a while. Weatherman says it may finally get a little chilly 'round here starting mid-week.

Sorry for being slow fellas, but what's the 33xs?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Dog, the 33x's are 335, 336, and 337, which are always voted (I don't know who votes) the best rides in Texas. They're near Leakey, and you can take 41 from Mountain home which is just west of Kerrville off I 10, here's a pic at the intersection of 335 and 41:

Basically it's like riding your bike on a freakin' roller coaster. 337 is more like a really amazing scenic route, and 335 is like up/down and left/right like being on a roller coaster.

I'd recommend getting a hotel somewhere near there and making a weekend of it, also check out the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum which is the coolest place ever.

There's a hotel out there somewhere called D'rose inns, do a google on it. They only let bike riders stay there. Book in advance.

I rode all through Arizona and into/around the Grand Canyon, and 33x's are better than anything I saw even in those mountains.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2006-11-26 12:42, road_dog wrote:
We had to go to North Austin so I could stop at Lone Star. From there we came back South on Mopac
Check out the Austin RAT group. http://www.lonestarcycle.com/ratpack/austinrat.html

We may be posting a run to the 33xs in December. ARAT had a small group head out to Luckenbach for the classic show. It is a good ride if you avoid 290. Good country out that way, Willow Loop too.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now I get it... thanks for all the helpful tips sweatmachine. Definitely would like to make it to the Lone Star Museum that you suggest. Maybe not before they close, but next season for sure!

whoa, I wanted to ride out to the Harvest Classic, but would have likely gone solo. I didn't get to go anyway, so mute point. The 33xs (now you got me sayin it) ride sounds interesting. I'll check in often, to see what happens. If it does happen, and the weather turns out decent, I'll try to make the ride.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
We may get ice & sleet this week up this way. Probably just cooler down in Texas. Oh well. I still got the cars. It would be fun to ride down there & then ride the hills. Only thing I ever went to Austin for was 6th street blues. And Threadgills.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On 2006-11-26 21:33, sweatmachine wrote:
it would be cool to take a group to the museum, but riding the 33x's behind anyone is no fun. I got stuck behind a cruiser clot last weekend and it was like rain on my parade.
Yea... I'm kinda in the dark, but w/ sweat. Let's do the museum before they shut-down for winter! The 33xs looks like a long and tiresome ride, especially for a group. I'd try to make it for a museum ride, rain or shine.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sweat,

Hey Buddy... I'm trying to rustle up a ride to the museum. A little help??? :wink:

If I rode to Austin to start out, rode the 33xs, and back home in a day... I'd probably have an ugly case of baboon-butt. The Museum sure seems a lot more relaxing and interesting IMO. :cool:

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I've done the Austin to the Museum and 33x's ride all in a day thing, twice. Last weekend, and about 2 months ago.

I've also ridden the whole 33x's thing 2 times, and stayed in a hotel in Kerrville. It would be better to stay in Camp Wood, or Vanderpool (if there's a hotel?) or in Leakey.

Doing it in one day will wear you out, and this time of year you'll run out of daylight, and there be lots of deer out there.

I can do it in a day and I do get the monkey butt, but it's not too bad. I did it with my dad and he was whining, he's 52 but in good shape, I did it with a buddy that was about my age (mid-late 20s) and we thought it was an awesome day.

It's at least a 300 mile round trip, give or take a few extra side trips to add 50 or so miles.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2006-11-26 21:26, sweatmachine wrote:
no offense Whoa, but the 33x's is the LAST ride I'd want to make a group ride out of...
Your thinking of cruising. Our group did a spirited pace.

Our round trip was just over 500 miles with the route we took from/to Austin, and the circuit we ran on 335, 336 and 337. Even with taking time at the museum for gawking and meat pie, there was no need to stay overnight.

If we go Dec. 16th, there will certainly be riding both sides of daylight. I'd stay overnight if my intention was to do a cruiser style pass and a spirited pass. Just not enough time to do two loops.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.