Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Around here, many don't like the Harley crowd cause many are condescending towards anyone riding anything other than a Harley. 99% of all other riders wave, but maybe 40% of harley riders wave (at best). They wear the pirate suits and buy every HD article they can, and for that reason alone, I'd have a hard time buying a Harley, even if they are now just starting to make bikes that I could even consider.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've seen many threads like this online and all I can conclude is

Most manufacturers make bikes that are great, are well built and reliable but they also make some that fall short of the mark.
The same applies to car manufacturers.

Irrespective of what brand of motorcycle they ride, some motorcyclists are great friendly people, some feel that riding their ride entitles them to privilege, some are idiots and some are oblivious.
Similar categories apply to car drivers, van drivers, cyclist and pedestrians

There's quite an even distribution.

I have to say though that when I was considering a Harley last year, I was going to ask how much extra it would cost not to be automatically enrolled into the HOG. It's not that many Harley owners aren't nice people when you get to meet them (though there are others as noted above), it's just I couldn't get quite so engaged in the whole lifestyle thing. I am still considering another HD (to likely replace one of my BMWs, not my Scrambler) but I think if I do I'll give HOG a miss.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Reminds me when I drive at the speed limit on the outside lane, often its a self entitled car driver that flashes lights and beeps horn. Well too bad, its not an overtaking lane, you're just reinforcing the stereotype and are welcome to rear end my car with your more expensive ostentatious car. TBH I do sometimes actively target these cars and box them in the lane for fun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Personally I find BMW riders to be arrogant pricks! Most motorcyclist's nod when you pass them but these lot don't, they seem to think that they are better than everyone else for some reason.

Pretty much the same for German car drivers.
😳 I ride with six BMW bike owners and not a prick in the group. My new 1250 GSA is a spectacular Swiss Army knife.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Around here, many don't like the Harley crowd cause many are condescending towards anyone riding anything other than a Harley. 99% of all other riders wave, but maybe 40% of harley riders wave (at best). They wear the pirate suits and buy every HD article they can, and for that reason alone, I'd have a hard time buying a Harley, even if they are now just starting to make bikes that I could even consider.
I live fairly close to the Harley factory in York PA and even know some guys that work there. Harleys are the vast majority of bikes in this area. There is also a flagship dealer real close and I went in there a few times to look around. There were maybe 6 bikes but probably 5000 square feet of HD labelled assorted crap. Its an interesting phenomenon.

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
Reminds me when I drive at the speed limit on the outside lane, often its a self entitled car driver that flashes lights and beeps horn. Well too bad, its not an overtaking lane, you're just reinforcing the stereotype and are welcome to rear end my car with your more expensive ostentatious car. TBH I do sometimes actively target these cars and box them in the lane for fun.
Don't know about Oz, but in the UK and over here, the outside lane is an overtaking lane and you're supposed to move over once you've overtaken. Unless you drive a BMW of course (or an Audi, Range Rover, Austin Princess, anything with 4 wheels....)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Don't know about Oz, but in the UK and over here, the outside lane is an overtaking lane and you're supposed to move over once you've overtaken. Unless you drive a BMW of course (or an Audi, Range Rover, Austin Princess, anything with 4 wheels....)
I think I would get out of the way if an Austin Princess was steaming up behind me.....

and before anyone thinks I'm taking the piss out of our illustrious Royal family again, bless em, an Austin Princess was a bad 1970's British built car, not some inbred second cousin of Prince Charlie.;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't know about Oz, but in the UK and over here, the outside lane is an overtaking lane and you're supposed to move over once you've overtaken.
Same in Australia. Like most road rules here it is largely ignored by self important persons who believe it is their birth-right to drive wherever they want at whatever speed they choose.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here in the USA if you are not actively passing in the outside lane you will be ticketed for obstructing traffic even if you are below, at or above the speed limit. Certain areas of Michigan you can get an obstruction ticket when you are 15 mph over the limit but no speeding ticket. The police in Michigan usually do 2-3 days a month of writing obstruction tickets, traffic flows a lot better when the word gets out.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Here in the USA if you are not actively passing in the outside lane you will be ticketed for obstructing traffic even if you are below, at or above the speed limit. Certain areas of Michigan you can get an obstruction ticket when you are 15 mph over the limit but no speeding ticket. The police in Michigan usually do 2-3 days a month of writing obstruction tickets, traffic flows a lot better when the word gets out.
Sadly that same fine is not levied in all 50 states for camping out in the left lane.

Once you get outside the city and especially into more rural areas, good luck finding a state trooper on the interstate.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
but in the UK and over here, the outside lane is an overtaking lane and you're supposed to move over once you've overtaken
Only when there is 2 lanes, not multiple lane, and you still cant go faster then the speed limit. On a multi lane freeway I'm allowed to drive in that lane and not allowed to go faster then the speed limit. So it is a birth right for everyone to drive in that lane at the speed limit on multi lane highways.

161 - 180 of 216 Posts