Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Anyone remember the old BMW ad (from when BMW meant Black mit White)?
If you want to be happy for a day - Drink
If you want to be happy for a year - Marry
If you want to be happy for life - buy a BMW

·
Registered
821 Posts
Reminds me when I drive at the speed limit on the outside lane, often its a self entitled car driver that flashes lights and beeps horn. Well too bad, its not an overtaking lane, you're just reinforcing the stereotype and are welcome to rear end my car with your more expensive ostentatious car. TBH I do sometimes actively target these cars and box them in the lane for fun.
Sounds like fast car envy. Yes, the fast lane IS for overtaking. You must drive a Prius. What a duchbag.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Should be douchebag. In the US, for some detractors, owning a Prius is synonymous with a politically correct goody two shoes nanny state loving driver. Or something like that. There are those who are Prius owners who think they are saving the planet and those who don't own who see it as a false messiah. You know, the production of the batteries, what happens to all those batteries, etc. Anyway, back to this wayward thread. If there is a passing lane where you live and you are driving in said lane at the speed limit and someone from behind wants to pass others legally in this lane, you should if possible, move over and let them go. Granted, they should at least allow you to move over before flashing high beams or honking. Two way street so to speak. Humans need to become nicer.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Humans need to become nicer.
I think this is exactly the point, for some reason when some people get behind the wheel it seems to change them. Not pointing any fingers here because I'm not totally faultless when I drive a car, I don't think anyone can claim to be.
In the UK we don't really have an issue with Prius's or any Hybrid cars for that matter, you can't really drive that quickly over here anyway because the roads aren't built for it except the motorways, but even these are normally jammed solid with other vehicles and have got speed cameras all over them.
We do get the problem with some drivers charging up behind other motorists on the outside lane trying to push their way through by flashing their headlights though, this annoy's me too, but I normally just smile to myself because you can bet your bottom dollar that there's going to be a traffic jam a couple of miles further down the road and they'll be sat in it along with all the drivers they have just overtaken.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Sounds like fast car envy. Yes, the fast lane IS for overtaking. You must drive a Prius. What a duchbag.
No, fast lane is for overtaking upto the speed limit as you are not allowed to drive faster then the speed limit, which a prius certainly can do. So If I had a prius in the fast lane and drive at the speed limit no driver should ever catch up. Its actual "self entitlement" envy, I'm envious FRCs drive at what ever speed they like cause they think they are entitled to it. What a duchbag.

·
Registered
280 Posts
This is priceless. A thread that starts off hating on BMW bikes, and after several derailments, descends into calling each other douchbags.
Carry on. I want to see where this sad saga will digress to next.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Most of the time we are joking, or at least I think every one is.
Anyway, unrelated, I did a click bait course and you'll never believe what happened next

·
Registered
25 Posts
They are boring and/or costly and/or faulty, sold my last time-bomb in 2017 to some desperate BMW fan.
I've owned a K1200R and S1000R, I've also ridden a RnineT, K1300R and F800GT.
View attachment 716474 View attachment 716475
Never again ... end of discussion
Have no experience with them other than test riding a S1000XR. Most seat and handlebar vibration I've ever felt. Hands and ass were numb and tingly after an 8 mile test ride. The RnineT looks good. And the performance specs are impressive on some BMW bikes. Just not sure why they couldn't get more of that vibration out of that IL4 engine in the S1000XR.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Have no experience with them other than test riding a S1000XR. Most seat and handlebar vibration I've ever felt. Hands and ass were numb and tingly after an 8 mile test ride. The RnineT looks good. And the performance specs are impressive on some BMW bikes. Just not sure why they couldn't get more of that vibration out of that IL4 engine in the S1000XR.
You should try the S1000RR. No vibration in the grips or the seat. It is the only BMW model I would own.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2009 R1200RT. Great bike for distance travelling,especially as i live in a cold southern state of australia(tasmania) where the fairing and heated grips are needed.

I only bought the RT as with the Trophy the whole fairing and fuel tank needed to come off every 16000km just to change the air filter and check valves - seemed a bit too much for me. On the BMW it takes me 20min for both.

Lets hope Triumph re make a Trophy in the future

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2009 R1200RT. Great bike for distance travelling,especially as i live in a cold southern state of australia(tasmania) where the fairing and heated grips are needed.

I only bought the RT as with the Trophy the whole fairing and fuel tank needed to come off every 16000km just to change the air filter and check valves - seemed a bit too much for me. On the BMW it takes me 20min for both.

Lets hope Triumph re make a Trophy in the future
Yeah the ST3 has some overly complex steps for routine maintenance too. Sucks to pull the tank just to get to the ECU.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
My brother works and lives in GERMANY
What's his name - I might know him :) Actually, last time I did that I was 21 and working in a pub down in Kingston. Barmaid I'd been working with for 18 months said she was going up to Spondon to see family. I asked what the name was, as a joke - turned out she was my cousin. True story :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was seriously thinking of buying and R Nine T until recently, but the complexity and the inability to service it myself turned me off somewhat.

for me, would now consider getting an older style 1970's R90 or the like if a low mileage one can be found. and they are out there, having seen two ads of older gentlemen selling theirs after owning for 40 years or so.

but since my T100 has clocked up over 100k miles, it now feels like a comfortable pair of well worn boots that I dont want to get rid of so will probably keep riding it for the foreseeable future. besides I'm now curious to see how far it can go before finally crapping out.

Beemers of 1970's era were extremely well made. a former work colleague, bought one way back in 1973, still has it and now has almost 400k miles logged on it. he's one of those types whose primary means of transportation is a motorcycle regardless of the weather. besides criss crossing Australia many times it's been to New Zealand, and the last I heard he shipped it to Europe and rode it all over the continent
Coincidentally - I too have BMWs, one of which is a 1978 R100RS that I bought in 1984. Yes, heavy; yes, underpowered (compared to a Jap) but their aim was reliability; yes, boring; do you know, it never let me down!? 85000 miles and I always got where I wanted to go (mainly daily commuting 160 miles, solo trips around France and for 24h races, etc). I let IT down a couple of times by throwing it down the road but that was by my error. Ironically the main reason I bought one was that I was soooo fed up with chains; cleaning in petrol then putting the can of solid grease on my mum's stove to melt and finally picking up the hot can plus chain to take out and hang up in the garage, and so on. What a palava.
It didn't help that the grease stank the house out or that I once managed to drop the lot on the kitchen floor, incurring my mother's wrath (well it was HOT!)
I know chains have moved-on but nevertheless on my wife's Fazer I had to apply a spray lube every couple of hundred miles, which (being all on the outside of the chain) duly flew off and soiled the rest of the bike.
The shaft was bliss.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Addendum:
I agree with the numerous comments above about over-complexity of many modern bikes and the concomitant difficulty of maintaining or repairing them ourselves. And the cost. This is why I am now rebuilding a 1961 T100A.
(And a 1965 RE 250 Continental GT - but you probably don't want to know about that on this forum).

201 - 219 of 219 Posts