Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are boring and/or costly and/or faulty, sold my last time-bomb in 2017 to some desperate BMW fan.
I've owned a K1200R and S1000R, I've also ridden a RnineT, K1300R and F800GT.
DSC_0011.JPG PC173205.JPG
Never again ... end of discussion

·
Registered
891 Posts
One persons opinion. My 2000 R1100RT has 65k on the clock. Very little maintenance with mostly just fluid changes when needed. She is my long distance ride and never left me stranded. No CanBus, Servo brakes ( that was abandoned after a few years). All newer bikes and cars mostly rely on computers and cannot be fixed by average owners.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Not aloud to say that around where I live - every other car's a Bimmer and about 3/4 of bikes. Mind you, the HQ's about 20 minutes away, the "secret" test track's about 10 minutes away and at least 3 people in my little village work there. Still wouldn't have one, mind.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I loved my '07 R1200R. Until it started to suffer from every known glitch for that bike, and I started wondering what would break next. The last one was an internal sensor in the ABS module that disabled ABS, lit up the dash like a Christmas tree and locked the brake light on solid. The infinite genius of the Can Bus system meant that the brake light triggered on fluid pressure, not an electrical switch. There was no work-around to fix it other than replacing the ABS unit. I replaced with a used unit (new one was $2200), and of course the bike didn't like that after a short while. As Wasted, I sold it to a desperate BMW fan who had every model in his collection but mine. Replaced it with a dumb-as-a-rock no ABS Honda CB1100. Save cleaning the neutral switch in the clutch lever a few times over the years, my Bonneville has been rock solid.
I'm happy.

·
Registered
883 Posts
They are boring and/or costly and/or faulty, sold my last time-bomb in 2017 to some desperate BMW fan.
I've owned a K1200R and S1000R, I've also ridden a RnineT, K1300R and F800GT.
View attachment 716474 View attachment 716475
Never again ... end of discussion
I totally agree, but then I don't like anything that comes from Germany. BMW bikes are a bit like German cars, over hyped and over priced. I've never really liked the look of BMW bikes, although I quite like the look of the boxer twin engine layout, I reckon if you have a spill on one of them RnineT thingy's that could be an expensive engine rebuild.

As far as I'm concerned the Germans can keep their bikes, cars and also their currency.

Lets get Brexit done!

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
I totally agree, but then I don't like anything that comes from Germany. BMW bikes are a bit like German cars, over hyped and over priced. I've never really liked the look of BMW bikes, although I quite like the look of the boxer twin engine layout. I reckon if you have a spill on one of them RnineT thingy's that could be an expensive engine rebuild.

As far as I'm concerned the Germans can keep their bikes, cars and also their currency.

Lets get Brexit done!
Oh you sod, now look what you've done. Now I've got to go and stick up for bloody BMW. Thank you so much. My neighbour's got a water-cooled R1200GS, before that he had an air-cooled one and before that he had on old 1100GS that ho rode for 15 years. The 1100 nearly broke my ankle changing gears - agricultural as hell. The AC1200GS was a phenomenal bike, but man, that gearbox was awful. Compared to my Stelvio, that gearbox was primitive, but the bike sure rode nice. The LC1200GS is a completely different beast. Yes, it still is a mighty fine bike to ride, way more flickable than it has any right to be, but now they've sorted the gearbox as well. That thing is a phenomenal bike. Of course, I'd never own one, because they're everywhere over here, but they are fantastic machines.

Oh, and keep the Brexit crap to yourself.

·
Registered
335 Posts
This is interesting - a guy with a liquid-cooled R1200GS showed up at Cars and Coffee on Saturday. He was trying to track down a ticking noise in the right cylinder. He bought clear plastic valve covers on Ebay, and was idling his bike on the center stand for spectators to watch the oil splash around in the engine. While the left cylinder was awash in a torrent of oil, the right cylinder barely had any swishing around. Another BMW guy said "Well, everyone knows that BMW botched the oil delivery in these bikes. By the way, your right camshaft will be going soon."

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Yeah, the only problem is bringing up something political like Brexit (or that arse Farage) is that it tends to get people to respond with more politics and that never ends well. That's why it's frowned upon on here. Never forget, opinions are like bumholes.....

Oh and apparently, Farage doesn't ride but is a member of MAG - go figure

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yeah, the only problem is bringing up something political like Brexit (or that arse Farage) is that it tends to get people to respond with more politics and that never ends well. That's why it's frowned upon on here. Never forget, opinions are like bumholes.....

Oh and apparently, Farage doesn't ride but is a member of MAG - go figure
I made it up just to get fingers twitching :rolleyes:.

I must admit though I didn't realise that he joined MAG.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I have had three, an airhead (R80, what a turd), K bike, it was nice but too heavy and underpowered. The last one was an R1100RS, still overweight and underpowered.

I would not have another BMW (or any brand) with shaft drive, but I do like the S1000RR. I have done two track days on them and they are a treat. BMW got rid of the shaft and their quirky suspensions and joined everyone else in 21st century motorcycle design.

·
Registered
886 Posts
If they made an RnineT Scrambler with proper suspensions I'd buy one in a heart beat. Had an UGS and their budget suspensions were the weakest point, that and the 10000km valve check. Otherwise loved that air cooled boxer engine, great torque and sound even stock.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
I was seriously thinking of buying and R Nine T until recently, but the complexity and the inability to service it myself turned me off somewhat.

for me, would now consider getting an older style 1970's R90 or the like if a low mileage one can be found. and they are out there, having seen two ads of older gentlemen selling theirs after owning for 40 years or so.

but since my T100 has clocked up over 100k miles, it now feels like a comfortable pair of well worn boots that I dont want to get rid of so will probably keep riding it for the foreseeable future. besides I'm now curious to see how far it can go before finally crapping out.

Beemers of 1970's era were extremely well made. a former work colleague, bought one way back in 1973, still has it and now has almost 400k miles logged on it. he's one of those types whose primary means of transportation is a motorcycle regardless of the weather. besides criss crossing Australia many times it's been to New Zealand, and the last I heard he shipped it to Europe and rode it all over the continent

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
A fellow at work just traded his Harlee Dyna somethingorother for a 2007 R1200GS which looks awfully nice.
I would have steered him to the 07 Tiger in the Classifieds if he'd asked my opinion but he didn't.
We'll see how it goes, it looks like some of the BMWs have tons of problems and others just soldier on.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I was seriously thinking of buying and R Nine T until recently, but the complexity and the inability to service it myself turned me off somewhat.

for me, would now consider getting an older style 1970's R90 or the like if a low mileage one can be found. and they are out there, having seen two ads of older gentlemen selling theirs after owning for 40 years or so.

but since my T100 has clocked up over 100k miles, it now feels like a comfortable pair of well worn boots that I dont want to get rid of so will probably keep riding it for the foreseeable future. besides I'm now curious to see how far it can go before finally crapping out.

Beemers of 1970's era were extremely well made. a former work colleague, bought one way back in 1973, still has it and now has almost 400k miles logged on it. he's one of those types whose primary means of transportation is a motorcycle regardless of the weather. besides criss crossing Australia many times it's been to New Zealand, and the last I heard he shipped it to Europe and rode it all over the continent
Yes they were well made, but they owe their reliability to being an under stressed engine.

Compared to other manufacturers output for the same displacement, the BMW was left wanting. And they continued on with that same engine into the early 90s.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've never owned a BMW (bike) although I have a mate who's had a few R100RT, S1000R, RNineT. I've ridden all his bikes and if I didn't have the Thruxton I might be tempted by the RNineT. I too looked at buying an old R90S but they have gone ballistic pricewise and I never liked that feeling of the bike lifting itself up out of turns due to the torque on the shaft drive.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The maintenance schedule of the RnineT is a bit ridiculous (valve check every 10000km) but since the valves are so easily accessible, its a 2h job for someone who knows his way around this machine depending of the adjustments required. So frequent but not really more expensive than many bikes and something most people can learn how to do. The valves on my Africa Twin is every 24-30000km or something, but about 800$ in labor, they basically need to tare the bike to pieces and not a project I would tackle on my own.

I owned a 2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE, after only 1000km or so a gear position sensor failed and it caused cruise control to fail, dash stopped indicating which gear I was in, traction control would intervene in 6th gear on a straight road on dry pavement, I couldn't start the bike in neutral with kickstand out as the bike no longer knew what gear it was in....so unfortunately most modern bikes are getting very complex, and a 90$ sensor can cause a lot of things to malfunction. It took them 2h to get to the sensor, 2h to put the bike back together, they ordered a new sensor and then another 3-4h of work to replace it. It was all under warranty, but if it had not been the case that 90$ sensor would have been a 7-800$ job.

The RnineT is one of BMW's most simple bikes, and most tested engine. Really the only 2 issues I have with those RNineT Scramblers, are the suspensions and oil consumption. Mine took about 1L of oil per 10000km (which dealer said was great). The tolerance from BMW is that if your engine burns under 4L per 10000km (4L is about how much oil goes into it!), you're within specs. If it burns more than that, you can have the engine rebuilt. I was quite shocked on a 2018 bike to have such tolerances...but othewise, electronics aside they are fairly simple bikes. Tubeless spoked wheels, driving shaft, everything is easily accessible, etc.

1 - 20 of 228 Posts