Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
All bikes are bought to be used for the purpose or bought for the style or dream. Not all but a lot of bikes are used at the weekend or when on holiday. A lot of us find it an escape from our work life and driving 4 wheels or more. Race bike, bobbers, choppers, scramblers, modern vintage all have a place. I think buying for a purpose is not always the reason to buy. Sometimes buying a dream is a good reason. As long as it has 2 wheels is good enough.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
All bikes are bought to be used for the purpose or bought for the style or dream. Not all but a lot of bikes are used at the weekend or when on holiday. A lot of us find it an escape from our work life and driving 4 wheels or more. Race bike, bobbers, choppers, scramblers, modern vintage all have a place. I think buying for a purpose is not always the reason to buy. Sometimes buying a dream is a good reason. As long as it has 2 wheels is good enough.

Well it does not have to have 2 Wheels. i am sitting here looking at a 1960 bugeye (or frogeye for those across the pond). That thing looks like fun!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Range Rover or Transit? Transit could carry more, but was as rough as a rough thing, particularly the early diesels. There's nothing from the current Jaguar Land Rover range that would entice me to open my wallet.

Yes but so was a Transit van and being in London the van would have also been a lot more use.

Have you seen the new 'Defender'
View attachment 718147

Personally I think Land Rover has completely missed the mark on this one, is this not just another 'Discovery' or 'Range Rover' clone? I can't see how your average hill farmer in Wales could make any use out of this at all. I've owned a couple of series 3's in my time when I used to do off roading as a hobby, they could be fixed with very basic tools and you didn't really mind if they got beaten up a bit.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
In the '50s and '60s they really didn't build bikes for specialized purposes. They were just motorcycles. Somewhere along the way, riders started to modify them to perform better in certain environments. Sometimes they modified them just for looks, or to fit one guy's vision of what a bike should be. That tinkering led to the scramblers of the day...and the cafe racers...and the bobbers and choppers. The racers took note and improved them. The manufacturers took note and now make twenty different iterations of every type ever developed.

I don't think a Triumph (or Ducati..or whatever) would be the bike to choose if you were serious about dirt performance, but for a daily rider that can go on dirt roads and get you away from the pavement for a while, and do it with some style and nostalgia? I get it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Transit could carry more, but was as rough as a rough thing, particularly the early diesels
I had a 1979 Transit for a while, I converted it into a sort of a weekend camper van. I didn't think it was to bad although it did have a petrol engine. I would imagine though the very early Transits being rough as old boots.
There's nothing from the current Jaguar Land Rover range that would entice me to open my wallet.
I wouldn't bother with anything of theirs either, If I ever fancied a bit of off roading again I would be tempted by an older Defender but definitely not the new one.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
You don't want to scratch or dent that expensive status
Exactly, this is a sad reflection on today's society when within a 150 years of mechanised transport we've gone from owning vehicles for a purpose to having them as some sort of status symbol. Do people honestly need to have a sodding great 4 wheel drive vehicle just to show how 'rich' they are, all it shows me is how pathetic and shallow these people can be.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Exactly, this is a sad reflection on today's society when within a 150 years of mechanised transport we've gone from owning vehicles for a purpose to having them as some sort of status symbol. Do people honestly need to have a sodding great 4 wheel drive vehicle just to show how 'rich' they are, all it shows me is how pathetic and shallow these people can be.
Errr... unless you regularly get half a metre of snow in April and have a 40 metre driveway... and this is certainly NOT a status symbol even if it did cost me all of £100
My 1200 Scrambler XC, however is my long overdue and thoroughly just reward for all my efforts at living a long and boring life...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Errr... unless you regularly get half a metre of snow in April and have a 40 metre driveway... and this is certainly NOT a status symbol even if it did cost me all of £100
£100! that's a bargain price for one of them Subaru's, those things are fetching silly money at the moment.

·
Registered
34 Posts
£100! that's a bargain price for one of them Subaru's, those things are fetching silly money at the moment.
Bought from a neighbour as it was an MOT fail... spent 6 months and far too much money getting it on the road again, but I thought the £100 was the attention grabber. All four tyres froze to the ground one winter and I got four instantly deflated tyres when I drove off in 4WD - didn't notice until I got out of the upper valley and onto clear tarmac!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Bought from a neighbour as it was an MOT fail... spent 6 months and far too much money getting it on the road again, but I thought the £100 was the attention grabber.
That's the way it usually goes. I bought a 1969 Reliant Rebel a couple of years ago just to use as 'cheap' transport to get me through the winter months but there's always something that needs money spending on, rear axle rebuild this summer!

141 - 152 of 152 Posts