Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be missing the point here but why Scrambler's? The ones I'm talking about are these Scrambler style bikes that many manufacturers are building these days. Surely if you want a bike with off road capabilities you'll but an on/off road motocross bike which are light weight with good suspension travel and all. Aren't Triumph Scramblers or BMW Scramblers a bit on the heavy side and a tad cumbersome for off roading? I get sports bikes, road bikes, cruisers and those strange dual sport type bikes but not Scramblers I'm afraid.

·
Super Moderator
1,648 Posts
Then I guess it's not the bike for you. We are lucky there are so many to chose from since everyone has what they like and are not forced to buy something they don't like or "get".

·
Registered
614 Posts
I picked up a Ducati Desert Sled in 2017. The style and riding position reminded me of the very first motorcycles of my misspent youth. The engine, suspension and brakes are far better than anything from the past. A great bike for short trips that don't require you to carry anything. Simple in function and design. Every time you throw your leg over it you become 16 years old again. ( If only in your mind ) It's a guaranteed smile every time.
20170624_141239.jpg

·
Registered
341 Posts
I picked up a Ducati Desert Sled in 2017. The style and riding position reminded me of the very first motorcycles of my misspent youth. The engine, suspension and brakes are far better than anything from the past. A great bike for short trips that don't require you to carry anything. Simple in function and design. Every time you throw your leg over it you become 16 years old again. ( If only in your mind ) It's a guaranteed smile every time. View attachment 717226
Wanna meet its Grandpa...?

I have fond memories of my 450 RT Desmo... the REAL Scrambler and a killer in dry river beds and sand washes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I might be missing the point here but why Scrambler's? The ones I'm talking about are these Scrambler style bikes that many manufacturers are building these days. Surely if you want a bike with off road capabilities you'll but an on/off road motocross bike which are light weight with good suspension travel and all. Aren't Triumph Scramblers or BMW Scramblers a bit on the heavy side and a tad cumbersome for off roading? I get sports bikes, road bikes, cruisers and those strange dual sport type bikes but not Scramblers I'm afraid.
You not understanding "scramblers" is kinda like the rest of the world not understanding you driving on the wrong side of the road.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I think Daddy Mac nailed it with the you're 16 years old again bit.
I don't own a scrambler but for a blast around day trip bike with some small, soft bags I think you'd have it made.
Go down a little dirt path to the old fishing hole? Here's the bike to do it on.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I kinda get it, if you like riding dirt and gravel roads as well as nice paved roads. But a BMW 1200 GS Will fill that role as well.

I spend my riding time on twisty paved roads, so there are better options for than the scrambler, regardless of manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Driftless Admin
11,436 Posts
Most scramblers are just a look. Made to look like they go off-road more than they are designed to go off-road. Nothing wrong with that.

Heck, those 1200GS bikes are designed to go off-road, but most don't. They are mostly purchased for the look as well. And the club membership. <insert that avatar of the guy ducking behind the brick wall here>

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Most scramblers are just a look. Made to look like they go off-road more than they are designed to go off-road. Nothing wrong with that.

Heck, those 1200GS bikes are designed to go off-road, but most don't. They are mostly purchased for the look as well. And the club membership.
True, but the GS also makes a great sport touring bike, and some people buy it just for that role. Some of the airhead GS bike’s were even retrofitted with 10 gallon gas tanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
They are a Style and fun. You don't have to dress as a Racer, just with a bit a style and go for a ride.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everyone's got their own tastes, I ride a cruiser and live in Dorset, where I might add doesn't have any motorways let alone a long desert highway. It's just that I thought that If someone wanted a 'dual purpose' bike then they would go for something like a Tiger. I suppose I'm just seeing things as a bit black and white, horses for courses and all that.
So Scramblers aren't really for serious off road use, just for a bit of a kick down the odd dusty track now and again?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like most bikes, they are a style. Like all bikes it is down to the one you like and you relate to.
Personal taste I suppose, true enough I've been into customs and cruisers for years and some people can't get with that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It’s probably more of an aesthetic thing. I have a Street Scrambler. I could’ve bought a Street Twin, but I wanted the high-pipes, larger front tire, spoked wheels and more upright riding position. It was cheaper to get a Street Scrambler than get a Street Twin and buy all that stuff separately. Also, they are definitely not made for serious off-roading, but you are not nearly as limited in terrain as you would be on a cruiser or sport bike.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
You might be surprised what one of these modern scramblers can do off road. With any type of bike, it's around 80% rider ability. I remember seeing King Kenny Roberts take an old VMax off road in the gravel. He made it work.

·
Driftless Admin
11,436 Posts
Even the non-scramblers can go a lot of places. This one ridden with a guy with little skill and even poorer judgement. Still, that bike has been lot's of out-of-the-way places.

I once stopped after a water crossing on a dirt road to congratulate myself and admire my work. Then this HD bagger come rolling by, these two big dudes on it together, and just plow through without a thought or a care and just kept on riding. Kinda humbling. As with anything (bicycling, photography, camping, etc) folks like to make it about the gear, but it's really just about the participant's skill is all.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Having worked in a bike shop I was surprised at how many people could not get their head around the whole Bonneville/retro thing, almost always people who’d never ridden one. The subsequent post-test ride conversion rate from non-believer to believer was staggering. The common remark was “I get it now” or “I see the appeal”. It’s not about the power or the handling or the amount of chrome. Same with a Scrambler. It doesn’t have to be particularly good at everything, or anything for that matter. If you don’t get it, don’t buy one. And quite frankly I doubt anyone who owns a Scrambler cares.
I don’t get why people buy sport bikes (for road use) or Harleys or fit enormous screens, but I don’t have to and I’m sure none of them expect or want my blessing.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts