Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode two up with my wife today. Philly suburbs up to New Hope, PA. Good weather for a change, ride along the Delaware River, stop for a cup of coffee, back to the Tiger. I'm parked diagonal in a parallel space, 2 other bikes, I'm last in the space. A woman in a cage moves forward, bumps into the pannier. I bang on her hood. Her bumper is resting against the pannier. She stops, leans out and yells, "I didn't hit it did I?". She backs up, gets out, leans over by the Tiger and fakes a kiss and says, "I'll kiss it and make it all better". She walks off. I was so stunned, I yelled, "What the hell is wrong with you". She looks back with a little smirk. I kick her car. No harm to the Tiger. Help me understand; I am mystified:brick::.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've often thought that those who have no knowledge or interest in anything to do with motorcycles, and who don't know any motorcyclists,i.e., the majority, have no idea of the value of them. If you were to point out that that plastic box is £300, or that it will cost them a thousand to repair the damage to a sports bike knocked off it's sidestand, they wouldn't believe you. When you can buy a good car for two thousand, what is a little bike worth? A few hundred at most. I know from conversations I have had in the past with non-bikers, they are flabbergasted at the figures involved.
Another aspect of this could be that the woman you dealt with places no value on her own car, many people don't, so why should you get upset about just a motorcycle? I know that I have dealt with people at work who place no more emotional or fiscal value to their car than they do to a kettle. Use it, scratch it, break it, get a new one.
An old acquaintance of mine was T-boned off his six month old Harley many years ago, breaking his left leg, and heard this snippet between the woman driver who hit him, and her boyfriend, who had been passenger.
Him: "It looks like his leg's broke"
Her: "Leave him, he's only a biker..."

The boyfriend saw sense, called ambo and police, and she was prosecuted for due care, but the attitude is clear to see. What's a scratched pannier to someone like this?

Be grateful this woman of yours wasn't waiting to exit a side road.

·
Registered
226 Posts
read about my accident

i had a near miss with a cage driver who ****ed off read this hear on the forum they have no clue most are dick heads i hope her next ****s a hedgehog :mad: these people are a wast off oxygen keep the wheel rolling and ride safe dude :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
It seems the "bumpers" on a car in America are for just that, judging how to get out of a gap by "bumping" your way out :(

I've said it before and I'll say it again - You let them out of the kitchen and that's what happens !!:mad:

Man - hunter gatherer, needs to be out there.

Woman - looks after the cave.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Graeme, you'll go to hell for that one! But it is true.

MOST women don't actually have the spatial perception of most males. They also don't often get the attachment we have to mere machines. That doesn't make it right that they don't care.

However gallyoung, you kicked her car in retaliation, even though you say there was no damage to your bike? Why? Did it make you feel good? So now she perhaps has a hatred of all things on two wheels, and will go out of her way to be less than nice to them.

I have one major rule, "Never pss off the car drivers, either intentionally or by mistake." After all, if they do take an offense to anything you do, they are bigger and harder than you on your bike will ever be.

Once one learns that usually car drivers are just doing what they need to do to get from a to b, and they AREN'T purposely out to get us (after all, they don't know us from Adam personally) one can then get on with avoiding their stupidities and laughing it off.

Never retaliate, it only makes it worse, but certainly make it known as politely as possible, that they could have been more careful with someone else's life or property.

Mick :cool:

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
In my younger days (No. Wait. It was yesterday. :D) I'd lose my temper and retaliate at cages on a regular basis. But the little white laundry van came and picked me up, hauled me to a loverly resort, and gave me a new wardrobe with jackets that have extra long sleeves that tie in back. I've been much happier since.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
retaliating against cages is a bad idea

One of the (many) things I love about riding is that complete concentration is so important that road rage never comes into play. Cages, road obstacles, weather, etc. are just part of the scene, to be negotiated. I indulged myself not because she hit my bike but because of her total arrogance and dismissal. My hope was that she might have a second thought about it next time, Unfortunately, I might have reinforced her mistaken belief in a stereotype. I am anything but that stereotype...
I'm not gonna touch the women and spatial perception thing...:cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
......I have one major rule, "Never pss off the car drivers, either intentionally or by mistake." After all, if they do take an offense to anything you do, they are bigger and harder than you on your bike will ever be..... Never retaliate, it only makes it worse, but certainly make it known as politely as possible, that they could have been more careful with someone else's life or property......

I agree. Usually, I'll wait until I'm in their field of vision, and usually everyone else that witnessed their stupidity aswell, and then just give a long, slow, exaggerated shake of my head. It shows exactly what I think in a non-confrontational way, showing I'm really dissapointed with their behaviour.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Help me understand; I am mystified:brick::.
It's the age of "It's not my responsibility". See this (along with sense of entitlement) almost daily at school. (In her mind) You should have not been parked there to begin with than she wouldn't have bumped your bike. So it becomes your fault not her's.

Would have kicked the car myself and if she damaged the bike probably would have busted off a mirror

·
Registered
194 Posts
Your a good man Miker but I don't wholly agree with you. I'll try to treat everyone with equal courtesy, altruism and kindness but there are some damaged and dull-witted people out there, who will see courtesy as a weakness and try to expoit it.

I'm sure we could relate numerous anecdotes. If I'm being treated badly, I'll respond with extreme prejudice; works everytime.

These people are selfish bullies and they've achieved this state by:
limited IQ
egocentricity
overblown self-esteem
acquisitive
self-indulgent

Being treated with an imaginative and shocking response will give them pause for thought and, I like to think, stop them doing the same to the more vulnerable. I like to think I'm doing the world a favour. And it makes me smile. AND I'M NOT A PSYCHOPATH

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Your a good man Miker but I don't wholly agree with you. I'll try to treat everyone with equal courtesy, altruism and kindness but there are some damaged and dull-witted people out there, who will see courtesy as a weakness and try to expoit it.
snippp....
I see your point Tone, and tend to agree to a point as well.

So, here's a non biking anecdote.

There were about 6 of us on a walk in the bush, about an hour and a half each way to see a tunnel that had glow worms in it (near Newnes NSW for the locals) One of our party had a dog with them, and didn't realise until we got there that it was a national park (no dogs allowed) However she wasn't going to miss the glow worms, or leave the dog in the car for three hours with no water in 80 degree heat. So she CARRIED the dog all the way. On the way back a guy in his 30s met us and started to have a go at her. He persisted in belittling her, even though she explained the situation and apologised to him personally for spoiling his experience, but he still persisted ranting on about a Shiatsu terrier spoiling his whole day in the forest.

It wasn't until her husband and I turned up to see what the fuss was about that he started to back down on her, but then turned on me. I had to threaten violence before this guys wife finally saw that he had solidly made his point and they should continue on their way.

No, my friend wasn't right to take the dog, but neither was this guy to continue to harass her about it. All he had to do was make his point and leave it.

So, yes I will turn nasty if I believe it is the only way to make the point, but I try to avoid it, because I don't like the sight of other people's blood. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts