Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted on the 19th of July about viewing a 98 thunderbird. Well bike got sold before the weekend. Talk about being dissappointed. Spent most of last week mooping around not wanting to think or look at triumph. Then on Thursday I couldn't take it anymore and right away saw a 96 t-bird with 6300 miles that looked pretty nice. Didn't dilly dally around and called and set up a time for Saturday. Drove the 300 miles with trailer and negotiated price down from $2700 to 2500 and WALLA! I am now a proud owner. I now have 4 loves in my life: God, family, country and my Triumph. Have service manuals ordered and she will receive fresh fluids and then some road miles. Have to confess we did take a 60 mile jaunt and it was--Glorious.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
That's a very good looking bike. And you have the valuable luggage rack. That's a very sought after item. Enjoy!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Nice! I second Charlie's comments on the rack. And while the screen may look less than "hard core" they sure make rides on the slab nice.

Good job moving fast enough to snag one, at a great price (and so few miles!)

Scott

·
Registered
607 Posts
Nice! I am going to venture a guess, based on the bluing of the downpipes and mufflers, that she is running quite lean. Might prompt me to begin learning right away about carb removal/cleaning and checking jet sizes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before the owners put it up for sale they took it to a triumph dealer and had the carbs cleaned and balanced. It wasn't licensed or registered for the last couple of years so I'm guessing it sat and wouldn't start or run well when they were getting it ready to sell. They didn't have any of the fluids changed which I actually am glad about as I would rather do that myself. She is running very smooth, with no backfires or misses. First gear is pretty tall, but have ridden sportsters the same. Love how she just purrs at 70 mph and 4500 rpms. Won't have to replace any fillings and can hear people talk to me after a ride. Tracks very well, and most comfortable with three fingers on the throttle and the other at my side. Corners like a dream and is very nimble. Enough weight to keep her planted but not enough to make unmanuverable. Has some quirks, but all mechanical things do. Neutral light not working when hot. I am sure i will become familiar with the airbox dilemma. Hopefully no major problems and I will be more than satisfied.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts