Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a generally smart person who works with other people's problems all day long, I pride myself on not being a moron. Therefore, it hurts when I have to admit that, on occasion, I am, in fact, a moron. But, sometimes I am, & sometimes I'll admit it. :razz: So, in the hope of saving someone else the problems I've caused myself this week, here are the stupid things I've done recently:

1. I ***** near ran my battery dry! Do yourself a favor: go check your electrolyte levels. Go on, I'll wait...

I bet they weren't 2" below the low mark like mine, right? :razz: It did charge back up on the battery tender in about 3 hours, & the bike starts right up now, but symptoms I had been blaming on cold weather were probably battery related. If anyone knows what AGM/maintenance-free battery fits our bikes, please let me know...

2. Quite a bit stupider than #1 above. I installed a passenger-activated tire-scraper bar on my bike. It's a bar that goes from one side to the other above the back tire, & scrapes against the back tire only when the bike is heavily loaded & hits a bump. Like when you have a passenger on the heavily-potholed BQE. Ugh. I think I would have died of shame if the migraine hadn't put me down for the night...

You see, the tire-scraper in question is the cross-brace or my new luggage brackets. I thought it was kind of ugly, hanging off the back there, & the instructions weren't really clear on how it attached, so I tucked it behind the rear fender where it was out of sight. That was just dumb. If I had thought about for half a freakin' second, I would have realized that the offset bit was there to clear the tire, not to let you tuck it out of sight. But, I didn't really think about it & got a really scary ride that freaked my passenger out as a warning from Uncle Darwin. That's luck, as Uncle Darwin usually just orders you out of the gene pool without a warning. So, if you happen to be lucky enough to find a Givi rack for your bike, remember my mistake & don't repeat it.

That's all for today, hope my admissions of stupidity save someone else from these mistakes.

-Kit

·
Registered
353 Posts
What a maroon :wink: I know "BikeMaster" makes a gel battery replacement that fits the TBirds and Tridents. My local Kaw/Yam/Suz dealer has them. They're ordered from Parts Unlimited I think. Good luck, Wade

[ This message was edited by: YrfuneralMytrial on 2006-12-11 19:43 ]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:razz:

Thanks for the battery tip, I'll see if I can track one of those down.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
273 Posts
WestCo

I think Yuasa also makes a sealed battery for the T3.

They are not cheap, but I don't check fluid levels any more. Make that don't FORGET to check fluid levels...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts