Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2010 Speedmaster last Fall and have really enjoyed getting back to riding again. I had a 1969 Bonneville back in the ‘70s and sold it when I got married. Life, kids, and more life kept me pretty busy and the thought of riding never really crossed my mind very much.

Jump to the Summer of 2010, one of my customers had a new Triumph and that was all it took to rekindle the energy. In my travels through Maryland, I located a 2010 Speedmaster marked down for clearance and I bought it.

As I rode around my home area in South Alabama, I got many looks and compliments. Some even thought it might be vintage Triumph. That part I enjoyed as many related to their personal Triumph bikes and memories. But this new Triumph SM did not sound like my 69 Bonnie. Not even close to the low rumble I so enjoyed back then.

Then while refueling at the gas station a fellow rider pulled up next to me to refuel also. He was on a HD and admired the Speedmaster. Pretty cool, right? Then it happened, he said wanted to hear me start the Triumph because of the great sound they make. Oh well, I explained it sounds more like a sewing machine. I could see he was somewhat disappointed. I couldn’t take it any longer.

My Bonnie had “Cocktail Shakers”. To my good fortune British Customs was tooling to make a run of Cocktail Shakers for the 2010 SM headers. I ordered them at once to get on the list.

I received the exhaust and they were gorgeous. Polished chrome and a perfect fit. Installation was very straight forward. Next, remapping. Sean Hicks at British Customs recommended I go with the Power Commander 5 and remove the AI and use the plug kit. Sean also supplied me with a MAP to load into the Commander. Many thanks to Sean and British Customs.

Wow!!!, the sound and look of the “Cocktail Shakers” is outstanding. Just OUTSTANDING. I would also like to thank the guys on RAT forum. “Easy” for the fuel tank removal and “Biker7” for the step by step AI removal. They both helped take the mystery out these procedures.

Also testing a twin headlamp setup just for something different. So far I like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
They look awesome,
I bet they sound the part too.
Dang, you've got a helicopter in your garage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
pipes are good, lights are good, single headlight dart screen, not so good. Any way to modify it to make it look more cohesive?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes Mano, the bike is in my hangar. I fly and work on small piston helicopters.

Nawzthou, I agree about the flyscreen not matching the contour of the twin lights. It still works though but I am working on some alternatives.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I purchased a 2010 Speedmaster last Fall and have really enjoyed getting back to riding again. I had a 1969 Bonneville back in the ‘70s and sold it when I got married. Life, kids, and more life kept me pretty busy and the thought of riding never really crossed my mind very much.

Jump to the Summer of 2010, one of my customers had a new Triumph and that was all it took to rekindle the energy. In my travels through Maryland, I located a 2010 Speedmaster marked down for clearance and I bought it.

As I rode around my home area in South Alabama, I got many looks and compliments. Some even thought it might be vintage Triumph. That part I enjoyed as many related to their personal Triumph bikes and memories. But this new Triumph SM did not sound like my 69 Bonnie. Not even close to the low rumble I so enjoyed back then.

Then while refueling at the gas station a fellow rider pulled up next to me to refuel also. He was on a HD and admired the Speedmaster. Pretty cool, right? Then it happened, he said wanted to hear me start the Triumph because of the great sound they make. Oh well, I explained it sounds more like a sewing machine. I could see he was somewhat disappointed. I couldn’t take it any longer.

My Bonnie had “Cocktail Shakers”. To my good fortune British Customs was tooling to make a run of Cocktail Shakers for the 2010 SM headers. I ordered them at once to get on the list.

I received the exhaust and they were gorgeous. Polished chrome and a perfect fit. Installation was very straight forward. Next, remapping. Sean Hicks at British Customs recommended I go with the Power Commander 5 and remove the AI and use the plug kit. Sean also supplied me with a MAP to load into the Commander. Many thanks to Sean and British Customs.

Wow!!!, the sound and look of the “Cocktail Shakers” is outstanding. Just OUTSTANDING. I would also like to thank the guys on RAT forum. “Easy” for the fuel tank removal and “Biker7” for the step by step AI removal. They both helped take the mystery out these procedures.

Also testing a twin headlamp setup just for something different. So far I like it.
Hey Mark - WOW -- looks great - very nice. I was wondering if anyone other than me would catch the helicopter in the room - Had hoped to meet up with you this past weekend in Pensacola - sometime over the summer - maybe !:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Tom,

We will catch up some time this summer I am sure. My next project with the SM is chrome reduction. I want to replace some of the chrome parts with all black parts. The helicopter is all black, so it is not hard to figure out why I want all black.

Mark

·
Registered
159 Posts
Same year and colour as my Speedy and it looks good with the pipes fitted I running TORS on mine at the moment but now you got me thinking.

Please don't take this the wrong way but with those lights fitted you need to lose the screen also it would be good to see what your bike looks like with the twin headlights and screen gone.

I also notice you have Rivco risers fitted to your bike are them more comfortable than the standard risers and did they fit without having to buy longer cables cheers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey Oz Rogue,

I agree the screen does not match and I did take it off. Here is what it looks like without the screen.

For me, the Rivco risers brought the handle bars up and back just enough to make the ride more comfortable for a reasonable cost. And yes they did fit without any cable issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey Oz Rogue,

I agree the screen does not match and I did take it off. Here is what it looks like without the screen.

For me, the Rivco risers brought the handle bars up and back just enough to make the ride more comfortable for a reasonable cost. And yes they did fit without any cable issues.
Ahh yes the bike looks a lot better now with the screen gone and btw what sort of lights have you used and thank you for the info about the Rivco risers cheers.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just a suggestion, but if you want a screen on your bike with the twin headlights I would think that a custom one would be the way to go. I made one for my America (single headlight of course) for around 50 bucks with the brackets. It took a couple of tries to get it just the way I wanted it, but it turned out real nice.

You could make a screen that would follow the contour of the twins nicely. Here's mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Firebird,

Very impressive. I re-read your original post and you have inspired me to attempt to fabricate my own flyscreen. Thanks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
cool, and good luck. Just some hints and tips..

At Lowe's store the plexi is called Optix. Runs about 20 bucks for a sheet. I just got the thickest they had.

To cut it use a variable speed jigsaw on a low speed. I use a "2" setting on mine. Also, take a couple of pieces of duct tape and put on the bottom plate of your jigsaw to keep it from scratching. Use a fine or medium steel cutting blade. It will take a little more time, but if it is melting you are cutting too fast.

Once you have the shape cut out, I used a small palm random orbit sander to get the edges very smooth. It is important to get the edges smooth. Any imperfections will be readily noticeable once you "flame polish".

When heating the material in the oven. I used 275 for about 15 minutes. MAKE SURE that whatever you use to put the material on to heat it supports the entire piece and is flat.

Have your form (I used a metal round trashcan) ready. you can use a plastic 5 gallon bucket or whatever you want to get the right shape.

Don't just assume that as much curve as you can put in it is what you need.

When you drill the holes for the brackets put a piece of duct tape on the front and back to keep the splintering to a minumum. It will probably break out just a little, but the brackets and bolts will cover it.

Flame Polishing... just use a propane torch and lightly pass the flame over the edge. You will see it become shiny..that's it..it won't get any better if you do it more.

PEEL THE PROTECTIVE FILM VERY LAST!! It will be fine through the heating process and all.

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts