Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Hoping the forum wizards can help me out here. I installed the Motone rectifier relocation and was mightly struggling with slack in the rectifier and the horn (tugged on it some out of frustration). I had to unplug the horn, reroute the wiring and finally got it to sort of fit. The rectifier still pushes on one of the horn plugs, but should be fine.

The problem is now my blinkers, horn and brake lights do not work. The Bonny does start, but definitely more sputter to her at idle and the headlights are also flickering. The flickering does kind of stop after I give it some gas.

Any thoughts? I checked all of the fuses none of them seem to be blown. Hopefully you guys can help me out and I won't need to bring it to a local Triumph shop where they'll charge me an exorbitant amount for labor. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Sounds like maybe you pulled s wire or contact in the rectifier and you've got a partial contact. It passes charge from the alternator to the battery, if it isn't working properly the battery won't charge and you'll get electrical problems like you describe. I'd check all the wires and plugs carefully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like maybe you pulled s wire or contact in the rectifier and you've got a partial contact. It passes charge from the alternator to the battery, if it isn't working properly the battery won't charge and you'll get electrical problems like you describe. I'd check all the wires and plugs carefully.

Thanks! I'll give that a try again. I checked all the connections to see if that was the problem already, but I may have missed something.

The only connection point for the rectifier is to the cable in the headlight I believe? So I'll check there. Also, the problem only lies with the turn signal, brake light and horn....is that a specific cable? Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Thanks! I'll give that a try again. I checked all the connections to see if that was the problem already, but I may have missed something.

The only connection point for the rectifier is to the cable in the headlight I believe? So I'll check there. Also, the problem only lies with the turn signal, brake light and horn....is that a specific cable? Thanks again!

Yeah you could have pulled something loose in the headlight - definitely the place to start :) good luck

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Your comments on the horn plus the fact that your blinkers, horn and brake lights don't work could provide a clue. One of the horn terminals has two wires on it, check that they're properly crimped and connected together and to the horn.

Here's an example I managed to fix earlier, see posts 8&9...:)

http://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/310041-help-please.html

See post 3 here where Ripper explains what that wire has to do with the brake lights:

http://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/701314-brake-light-broke.html

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah you could have pulled something loose in the headlight - definitely the place to start :) good luck

I double checked the connections all good. Then did some research on Google and found out that the horn and turn signals are on the same fuse. So double checked and I indeed blew the fuse.

Did anyone struggle as much as I did on their rectifier relocation install? Seemed like both the rectifier and horn wire slack is not enough despite the extra slack.

Thanks again for your input!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your comments on the horn plus the fact that your blinkers, horn and brake lights don't work could provide a clue. One of the horn terminals has two wires on it, check that they're properly crimped and connected together and to the horn.

Here's an example I managed to fix earlier, see posts 8&9...:)

http://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/310041-help-please.html

See post 3 here where Ripper explains what that wire has to do with the brake lights:

http://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/701314-brake-light-broke.html
I'm still definitely wary that I pulled too hard on the horn wiring (out of frustration) so once I replace the fuse I'll see if the horn works. I'm having trouble figuring out which of the two horn wires attaches to which particular horn attachment. Any insights? Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It doesn't matter, the horn is not polarity sensitive.
Hmm thanks for that insight. I wonder then how I blew the fuse? I thought it was because I plugged the horn in incorrectly. Any thought? I did do a lot of tugging on the horn wiring...Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Is it the OEM horn? if so it has two terminals, neither of which is connected directly to ground. Some after-market ones have only one terminal and the other connection is made through the body of the horn being bolted to ground or chasis. Those will be polarity sensitive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it the OEM horn? if so it has two terminals, neither of which is connected directly to ground. Some after-market ones have only one terminal and the other connection is made through the body of the horn being bolted to ground or chasis. Those will be polarity sensitive.
Yes OEM horn. Hmm I wonder what blew the fuse then if it wasn't the horn. The turn signals couldn't have been it since it was working and I used harness connectors strictly made for aftermarket turn signals.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery before you started the mod?

Using Tapatalk on Android.

Reactions: RJ64

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So got new fuses, blew 2 fuses at the 7 spot when switching to left blinker. Now have a 3rd fuse in there, fuse doesn't blow, but the turn signals and horn still does not work. However, the brake light does work. So odd, I should've stayed away from electrical work. Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did some more research on TR and realized that those retro turn signals from British Customs have weird wiring. The black/white is actually the ground and should connect to black wire on the triumph and the all black should connect to the red (using harness) and the 2 color wiring on the triumph. Can anyone confirm that? Also read that the bulbs pull too much wattage...

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Yes, the black is ground on the Bonnies. The green/red and green/white are the live wires.

The OEM bulbs are 10watts. Those flashers have 23w bulbs in them, according to BC site:

http://www.british-customs.com/triumph-motorcycle-retro-turn-signals.html

The flasher relay is a common unit for small cars, the markings on it say something like: 2(4)x10w. The(4) means that it can operate either 2 or 4x10w lamps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts