Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being old and forgetful, I left the key on my 99 TBird on for 2days. I replaced the battery with a brand new properly charged unit but the Bird refuses to start now. It cranks over fine, but not even a pop. It started and ran wonderfully before my senior moment. Any thoughts on what I ruined besides the old battery?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
by CDI we're talking the 700 dollar "brain" aka igniter box, ECU /black box? :???: :???: :???: :evil: :evil: :evil: :( :(

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Hook a spare sparkplug to one of the plug wires and connect the big end to a solid chassis ground with a jumper (booster) cable or the like.

Put the bike in neutral, squeeze the clutch and try starting again.

If the ignitor box is good, you'll see a fat blue spark on the plug.

If you see a yellow spark then either the new battery only has a surface charge or there's an ignition problem that needs to be adressed.

Don't make any assumptions as to what may have failed until you test. :-D

Jim

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thats good advice Jimmy. I had a customer a few years back with an old FC Holden(Australian Car) He had a "no spark " problem, he had replaced the coil, the points, the condeser, all the leads and spark plugs. Turned out to be a bad connection in the wiring harness, which I picked up within five minutes of checking the electrics. Threw away all that money for nothing.
Check, test then double check, at the price of bits for these here triumphs, you'd be a fool not to take Jim's advice. :-D

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
I had a customer a few years back with an old FC Holden(Australian Car) He had a "no spark " problem, he had replaced the coil, the points, the condeser, all the leads and spark plugs. Turned out to be a bad connection in the wiring harness, which I picked up within five minutes of checking the electrics. Threw away all that money for nothing. Check, test then double check,
Yep! That's the price of education and the tuition goes up every year! :-D

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts