Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three weeks ago my alternator quit (2001 Sprint ST) which I explained on another thread. I was advised, well, to go to eBay and get another one from a used part source. I got another alternator (off of a 2001 ST) put it on and... nothing the limp home mode was still engaged and using a multimeter I found that All the connections were good and that the alternator was putting out .5V at idle and 1.5V at 3000RPM.

I contacted the used part source and they graciously sent me another alternator off of a 1999 sprint. I put this one on (I am getting really good at putting on alternators) and... nothing again. About .6V at idle and 1.7V at 3000RPM.

The original I have given to an automotive electronics shop and they are trying to rebuild it. We will see.

HELP! Is it possible that I Got 2 bad alternators? The change in voltage indicates to me that mechanically the installation is sound. The continuity indicated that the electrical installation seems to be sound. Ideas?:confused:

Thanks

Burton 2001 Sprint ST

P.S. Fortunately I picked up a $500 seized engine Suzuki 600 Bandit on the side of the road and got that working over the summer. Unfortunately my 19 year old daughter thinks it is cute and is off riding most of the time:eek: I am now forced to ride my wife's Yamaha 1700 Warrior Cruiser.. oh well "any port in a storm!":motorbike

·
Registered
195 Posts
Are you checking the voltage after the the reg/rec or straight from the alternator? It could be you just have a bad regulator rectifier unit (certainly not unheard of) and would explain why swapping alt's sin't helping.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The R/R is imbedded in the Alternator.

The 99-01 models have an embedded R/R. It seems to be under a separate cover on the back of the alternator.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Make sure your battery is hooked up, and measure voltage at the battery.

I'm suggesting this because I had a similar issue with my dual sport. With no battery hooked up, voltage after R/R was similar to yours. Adding the battery made everything work normal. (Even though the manual specified measuring without anything wired up)

I don't know Jack about electrics, so I can't explain why it worked like that, but it did.

Excuse the brain fart. Of course your battery is hooked up. Nonetheless, that is where you should measure your voltage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts