Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not overly impressed after finally laying eyes on the new Bonneville T120. For some reason I prefer the looks of the old T100. I sold my 2011 T100 a few years ago and really miss that bike. I might totally change my mind though once I test drive the T120.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with you on appearance but the performance gains in power, braking and suspension are pretty tempting.

I'm not done modifying my Thruxton yet but when I am I plan to add one of the new water-cooled units to the stable. The new bikes have changed my modification plans. I was going to do the 904 with heads and cams but now I'm stopping after I get the suspension installed. The $4k I was going to stick into the engine will make a nice down payment. I don't buy first-year vehicles, so I'm probably looking at a 2017 or 2018 Bonneville Black.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I do too, it just seems to be trying a bit too hard, one too many designer touches if you will. 'Perhaps a nice patina of bugs and grease would help. 'Haven't ridden one tho, I'm sure they didn't go to all that trouble without sharpening the edge. Then again, I don't ride this type of bike for that, there are better and more cost effective alternatives for carving.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
A T-120 is probably dandy. Looks a lot less like a T-120R though whereas my T100 does. When people see mine, they smile and do a double-take. Draws more crowds than any of my exotics ever did. Go figure. After a bit of tweaking, it's friendly and fits me. When I'm feeling like a hooligan, I take my 796. The T-100 won't punish me when I have to ride slow in the city and the suspension has been dialed in for the bomb craters. ;) YMMV...

·
Premium Member
2011 Bonneville T100. 1975 Norton Commando MK3.
174 Posts
Agreed. They will be great bikes but i wont be getting rid of my T100. The fake monoblocks look like they belong on a washing machine.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I like the new ones, like, a lot, but I'm so attached to my "old" scoot I can't really see replacing it. That, and I'm always looking, with my Vehicular ADD, to add something completely different to the stable anyway.

If I HAD to replace my T100, however, I'd have little in the way of issue parking a T120 in the garage.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think with the previous iteration Triumph built a modern bike that does so well in looking like an older bike. With these new ones they took a modern bike and made it look like a...modern bike.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I studied a new T120 parked in the showroom, up close and personal. I was more sold on it from photos than how it looks in real life. Don't get me wrong, it's still a beautiful bike, but I feel the outgoing T100 has more overall charm.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
the xtra torque on the water buffalos is good, but the simplicity of the outgoing models is great + lots of upgrades available NOW!!!

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I'll hold onto my 2007 for awhile longer. Wait for the used market to hit with those T-120's, then maybe do the musical chair thing.

I don't like the new prices, I could go buy an HD standard Dyna glide for that money.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't like the new prices, I could go buy an HD standard Dyna glide for that money.
That's a bit of a stretch. The new T120 is $11,500. The cheapest new Dyna Harley sells is the Street Bob at $13,699.

I think the T120 is the better bike and saves you $2199 to boot.

The T120 doesn't really need any modifications to be enjoyable whereas a stock Street Bob is a bit of a dud. It's almost 200lbs heavier and relies on a single disc brake up front. The Bob's suspension also leaves a lot to be desired whereas the new Triumphs stock suspension is definitely an improvement over the exiting models.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
before trading my 06 porkster on a preowned 13 Vic Hammer in 13 i tested a new 13 not-so-super glide, my take was really porky with poor brakes + terrible suspension, not even as good as my upgraded porkster, not even close to the preowned 833 mile 13 Hammer i bought on the spot + you only won't get a new dyna anything for bonnie money, riding is believing so don't ride a Vic or new Bonnie + drink the Hardly Cool Aid if you want, afterall its your $$$$

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've always been an air-cooled fan. I've owned a 79 KZ650, 80 KZ750, and a Ducati Supersport 1000DS from the air-cooled side of things (now I have a 2010 Bonnie!).

Compared to my water-cooled bikes, I enjoyed the less weight, ease of maintenance, and the valve train noise that comes from air-cooled bikes. For whatever reason, all my water-cooled bikes always had a higher pitched whine coming from the engine (cam differences and valvetrain design, I'm guessing). I'd happily give up a little horsepower for a better auditory experience and ease of maintenance.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
The new valve covers do look better to me along with that side view of the jugs with the new one are more on par looking much like the t-140's to me.

Those carb looking things I do tend to like as it grows on me. The touch with the brass ring sure is a pretty touch for sure.

On the price for that Dyna Glide, you can get the close out left over standard Dyna down to 12.999.00 end of model year, or at least they sold a batch for that here in the Sacramento area. That price is close in with the T-120. I'm not a brand loyalist and willing to say one better then the other. That is really an opinion related statement. I've owned too many bikes and been around too long for someone to try and force and ram their opinions down my throat and I think it's time people speak out against and put these people in their place. I'm tired of being the silent majority trampled over by liberal left wingnuts. Left wing nuts and right wing nuts end up meeting each other on the back side. Sort of like two Jesus's meeting in the nut house.

·
Registered
669 Posts
... I'm not a brand loyalist and willing to say one better then the other. That is really an opinion related statement. I've owned too many bikes and been around too long for someone to try and force and ram their opinions down my throat and I think it's time people speak out against and put these people in their place. I'm tired of being the silent majority trampled over by liberal left wingnuts. Left wing nuts and right wing nuts end up meeting each other on the back side. Sort of like two Jesus's meeting in the nut house.
Talking of nuts...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Spend some time in California and you would all be beside yourself. You could even end up in the nut house with the guy who thinks he's Bajesus.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts